C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wife was with me both times. She's the one that said "Oh Crap you forgot the radar detector at home"

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 07-21-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 AM
༇Legacy༡
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. This one is a bit hard to follow, so I'll set up our jacked up road system for you:
We have a highway that runs north and south with an underpass that another highway intersects, running east to west. Of course, on both sides of the underpass, there are 4 way intersections. I work west off the E-W highway, so returning home, I am driving east; coming back home from work, the underpass will be in front of me, the road to the left is a 2 lane, 1 way feeder, but the road to the right is 2 lanes, 2 way since there are truck stops lining that part of the feeder; the right lane is a turn only lane to go beneath the underpass. However, the E-W highway actually runs parallel to the feeder and turns just before the intersection. In between my road and the road to the left of me, some activist group decided to plant trees, bushes and some other stuff, which looks nice and all, but it creates a very effective barrier between the 2 roads, so you cannot see if anyone is coming on either side.

On to the story, I had just gotten off a late shift at 10pm and a VERY heavy thunderstorm had rolled through. It was pitch black and storming hard. As I approached this intersection, I looked to see if my light was green, so I continued to approach the intersection. I've gotten used to truckers driving stupidly around our area thanks to our stupid road system, so I am always hesitant to go through an intersection without looking.

Anyways, I see no lights, so I continue to pull closer. About the time I ended the intersection, I realize there is a semi to my right that has decided to run the light WITH HIS LIGHTS OFF! At this point, there was no stopping, so I accelerated. With adrenaline pumping already, I hit a bit too much gas and throw her sideways. I countersteer and try to level out, sliding all the way beneath the underpass sideways before I finally come to a stop. I look back in time to see the end of the semi traveling the wrong way on the one way feeder. I limp back home, livid at what happened.

2. Traveling down a back county road with a nice, long straightaway one night, I decide to give her a little gas. Right as I break 135mph, I notice an armadillo in the middle of my lane. I was way too close to stop, so after the hit, I pulled over to see if any damage had been done. Luckily, there was none, so I turned around to see what the lil guy looked like after being smacked by a 135mph jet, and I get there just in time to see the lil ****er roll over and scurry back into the woods!

3. A friend an I were enjoying some spirited driving in our cars. There's a very nice U-turn lane on one of our overpasses that you can take with some speed. There weren't any cars coming, so we punched it through the yield sign: he took the inside lane while I flew around him on the outside lane. About the time I came around him, I realized there was a white Crown Vic coming in the oncoming lane that looked a lot like a Police Interceptor, and just as I made the connection, I saw the lights turn on. I was flying at about 85 in a 50. He went right passed us and pulled over a truck that cut through the parking lot of a gas station to advert the intersection light. Never even batted an eye at my friend or I.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:15 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

coming into a 35mph corner about 110. setting up my line, braking hard, cut the apex and see gravel coming up, change my line, drift through a portion of graas about 50mph and drift the car back on the road and keep going

this was back in 2002. don't push it so hard on the street anymore
Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

On my way back to Arizona from Denver with the Z06, I stopped in Cedaredge to swap the straight pipes for factory titanium mufflers. When I left, I headed through Telluride and Cortez. Nice, curvy mountain roads that would be an absolute blast... if it wasn't pitch black with factory C5 headlights! Deer, trees, twisties, couldn't see, tired... it was quite a drive! I came around one corner to my second or third group of deer in the road and missed a brain-dead doe by INCHES (if I had gone any further to the right to avoid her, I would have gone off the edge).

Right when I got back, I ordered Radioflyer SLC V3s; I am NOT doing that again.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
JustinZO6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my biggest OH CRAP moment was when I was leaving a parking lot in my Z06 where myself and friends had a get together. Well, right next to this place was a gas station. As I pulled out of the parking lot, I dumped the gas and got completely sideways. Low and behold a state trooper was pumping gas and saw the whole thing! He was not impressed!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lucky I have yet to have an issues, fingers crossed!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:13 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

"Recent"... Good LOL moment.
At toll booth of Mass Turnpike start, toll taker lady is "ALL OVER MY CAR" "It's SO BEAUTIFUL"... Why, Thank you, Maam.".. "Watch This"...
(Grand Son in passenger seat)
PUNCH IT.... Just as the tires start their SONG... I look to my right... OOPS!
State Trooper bringing up the RADAR... Foot OFF....
Never exceeded the speed limit.
Drove like GrandMa to the next toll. No Cops!!!
Explained to grand son that Experience is usually the result of BAD DECISIONS...
And usually results in GREAT STORIES...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Going high speed through the chicane at WGI, losing the back end and realizing just how close the wall is. Good thing the pea gravel stopped the car quickly.

Another time at WGI in the rain coming over a hill to flashing lights and corner flag frantically waving the red flag and seeing a Porsche in a million pieces. That was the first part of the OH chit. The second part was fractions of a second later a BMW not paying attention to everything going on and watching him lock up his brakes as he barely skidded by us.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had drag racing two Fridays in a row, so between the two, didn't bother to remove my drag pack. Got caught in the rain, and though aware and driving way under the limit, I was taking a long turn and found after the turn that the car wanted to keep going that way. I slid sideways for 30 or 40 feet before doing a complete 180 and ending up stopped facing oncoming traffic inches away from the guard rail. Luckily some grass and dirt stopped me! My drivers side wheels were filled with mud and rocks. But it cleaned up well and no permanent damage! Very close one!
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
shift_oversteer
Advanced

About 4 seconds into this video

Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I had another one yesterday.

On the I-55 in traffic at about 70 mph. We are in the left lane and the right line is backed up too. The car two ahead of us (PT Cruiser) suddenly locks up the brakes and the Tahoe ahead of us does too. Then we see about a half dozen of what look like 8 or 10 foot sections of siding (except they are thicker steel) flying up in the air in front of us. I did some swerving and missed all but one that went under the car. I heard it hit pretty solid underneath. The PT Cruiser pulled off the on the shoulder with both front tires flat and the Tahoe pulled off with a broken windshield and some grill damage. I pulled off and looked for damage. I was lucky I could not see any problems and no apparent damage underneath.

I don't know what vehicle they came out of, but no one stopped to claim their stuff or see what they did to the cars behind them.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
A third of the way down the front straight just making my fourth gear shift when I heard a bang, saw a large cloud of blue/white smoke behind me, and then everything went expensively quiet.
DAMN!! I'm sorry to hear that Doug. What's the status on the rebuild?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM
j.grif
Advanced

My o crap moment was when the dealer accepted my bid on eBay, I had to inform the other half that we now own a corvette, I did not think the bid would be accepted!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 PM
jamant12
Advanced

A few weeks ago I drove my Z06 to work on a day with no rain forecasted. But, I live in Texas and an unexpected thunderstorm hit while I was driving home. Heavy rain, flash flooding, pretty much everything but hail. I got stuck at a flooded intersection and ended up ingesting water thru the intake. It's at the shop now getting broken down to see what all is damaged...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Cruising with our club on our annual Fall Run. Country road, about 30 Corvettes total. Doing about 60mph. Corner of my eye, see a deer prancing in the ditch ahead and to my right. Sure enough, that SOB jumps out onto the road and the Corvette right ahead of me hits it, sending it flying over my car and to the other side of the road. After catching my breath, made sure they were ok. Astonishingly, the Corvette only had windshield damage on the passenger side, and a small scuff on the passenger headlight and roofline. They continued OK the rest of the journey (about 250 miles round trip).
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinZO6
I think my biggest OH CRAP moment was when I was leaving a parking lot in my Z06 where myself and friends had a get together. Well, right next to this place was a gas station. As I pulled out of the parking lot, I dumped the gas and got completely sideways. Low and behold a state trooper was pumping gas and saw the whole thing! He was not impressed!
Did he get your autograph??
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM
JustinZO6
Racer

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Did he get your autograph??
Yeah he did, 4 pointer reckless driving, and about a $650 fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette

Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Last C5
A third of the way down the front straight just making my fourth gear shift when I heard a bang, saw a large cloud of blue/white smoke behind me, and then everything went expensively quiet.
Mine was coming out of turn 3 at VIR, I rolled on the throttle and then, BAM, rattle, rattle, rattle...nothing.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM
MLC_LS1
Instructor

Getting sideways on a busy 4 lane road trying to get a jump start on passing a Prius coming off a redlight wearing the stock run-crap Goodyears. I thought for sure it was over....then I heard a beep and saw the dash flash "Active Handling Mode" and the car auto corrected itself. Wow, that feature is awesome! And dammit, I HATE PRIUSES!!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

There isn't enough internet space to list mine. I have had them all

Quick Reply: Your biggest "OH CRAP !!!" moments in your Vette