Need help selling C5 fast.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need help selling C5 fast.

I need to get rid of my C5 quick.
It's an 04 CE, 65k miles, fantastic shape, nothing wrong with it.

I've got a new toy coming in the next week or two, and need to clear out.

I'm going to price it fairly cheap, but, do you think something like my Corsa full titanium exhaust is worth tacking up the price a bit?

How do I avoid tire kickers?

I really don't want to let people test drive it and **** it up. Is it a huge issue to let them 'test ride' it instead?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Rickster1
Burning Brakes

I won't buy a car unless I can test drive. Especially a sports car. No problem to test dirve with the owner in the right seat. I let several people test the last 'vette I sold with no issues.

If you price it right it should sell quickly. Make sure your ad includes plenty of pictures, and a complete description.

The Corsa only adds value, if the buyer likes that sound. Some may, some may consider it to be more of a liability and a reason to lower the offer. Do you still have the OEM settup? If so, I would install it and sell the Corsa Ti seperately. You will realize more $$$ doing that.

Good luck with your sale. It sounds like you have a great car.

What is your new toy? Always fun to have something new to play with.

Last edited by Rickster1; 07-17-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Nah, I traded the oem setup + cash for the exhaust previously. I don't have the energy to do that now, even though I could probably get $1200+ out of it. You have to cut off past the cats to put it on becuase it's fully titanium. So a simple swap isn't easy.

I'm getting a 4Runner.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't want to let people test drive it

You need to take it to a auction.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5

Tempted. I don't actually fit in the passenger side. I barely fit in the driver's side. And because of a bad accident I was in, I have a very very hard time being a passenger even with people I know :/
Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I wouldn't buy a car either that I couldn't test drive, but have no problem with the owner in the passenger seat. Just price it right with a good ad and hopefully it will sell fast.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I would price it out right in all the local papers, Craigslist and what not. You should be able to tell the tire kickers after talking to them a little bit, I have never bought a car I didn't drive, If I was selling mine I would feel out the person and tell if he is serious and if I thought he was he could drive it with me in the car.
Can I ask what you have coming?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

tests drives aren't necessary, i've only had one person test drive a car out of the past 7 i've sold. you will most likely have to allow someone to get the car on a lift and do a few tests. you will also likely have to give test rides. personally i could care less about test drives. i always want to go for a test ride though. it allows me to pay attention to what's going on with the car.

get a used oem cat back to put on the car and sell the corsa separately.

price the car at nada clean trade and it will sell quick.

put the car on ebay & craigslist and it will be gone within 7 days

make sure to list your terms as cash or wire only
Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Want to avoid tire kickers? Stay away from Craigslist.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Rickster1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5

Maybe CarMax??
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Without being a list of 100 things give details and have it show clean inside and out...including the area behind the seats and hatch area. I bought mine from Autotrader.com.
Test drives can go either way. If the guy shows up in a sports car I'd let him test drive it with me. If you really do not want to let someone drive it then take them for a drive and let them direct what they want you to do. Once you settle on price and they are going to buy then let them drive with you in the car, That is how I bought my 02 Z06.

As a note I just bought a 2000 Vert a guy priced too low on Craigslist. I saw it for $11,200 with clean title and the next lowest one on the site was $16,000 so I thought what's wrong with it. It had been on for 4 days. I called the guy and he did say it needs a detail, brakes and had a check eng light for lean codes. The low price actually scared people away. I bought it to "flip it" and sold a week later for $14,500 after fixing vac leak and replacing brakes.

My point is to sell quick don't go too low
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I have always had good luck on eBay with mine... There is a lot on tire kickers here on the forum.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I bought mine off of Craiglist and the owner turned me and my brother loose to drive it with no hesitation.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I would be totally scared off if someone didn't want to let me drive the car I was trying to buy. Did you want to test drive it before you plunked down a nice pile of cash for it when you bought it? No offense to those younger owners but if it was me a 19 yr old guy with his frat buddies came looking then no way to test drive. If a dude in in his 30's or 40's+ comes to see it with his wife and pulls up in newer car in good shape I'd let him take it for a quick spin. If you just want to dump it for quick cash than yes I agree go to carmax but your going to take a beating. As for the corsa exhaust don't count on it bringing much extra money. My experience is that it will either bring you nothing in return or can actually hurt the sale if the prospective buyer is either uniformed and thinks that maybe your race the car or would just prefer the car to be stock. The only real way to recoup mods is to go through the time and effort to pull them off and sell them to those like us here on the forum that want them. Of course if it's the right buyer you can definitely talk up the $1200 exhaust you have on the car as a selling point which may play a factor in the buyer liking your car over another. Good luck with the sale
Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I sold the stock vert I bought to flip the day I parked it on the street in front of my house with a for sale sign priced just below the lowest one on Craigslist. People who have see you washing your car and seen it driving around may be the most interested if it is priced right. I would also post it on Craigslist, Autotrader, here on the forum in cars for sale and on the page for your area.

and here:

http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/
Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

What about contacting the local corvette clubs and let them send out a mass email to it's members with all the details including pictures.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
tests drives aren't necessary, i've only had one person test drive a car out of the past 7 i've sold. you will most likely have to allow someone to get the car on a lift and do a few tests. you will also likely have to give test rides. personally i could care less about test drives. i always want to go for a test ride though. it allows me to pay attention to what's going on with the car.

get a used oem cat back to put on the car and sell the corsa separately.

price the car at nada clean trade and it will sell quick.

put the car on ebay & craigslist and it will be gone within 7 days

make sure to list your terms as cash or wire only

Great advice!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help selling C5 fast.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Test drives shouldn't be an issue. I usually only take people with me or let them drive if I know they have the cash.

I do still feel a little bad about the Lexus salesman that went with me to test drive the '02 Z06 (with 13k miles!). I took him up Skyline (my favorite local road) and he was white-knuckled the whole time. I tried to warn him "This isn't my first Vette and I take this road almost every day..."
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Kale
Team Owner

I suppose I can let people test drive. But I won't let them "open it up." I don't want to end up upside down in a ditch. or have them walk away laughing from a banged up car.

I'd probably pull the exhaust if it didnt mean welding to put a new one on.

Maybe I'll try ebay...

Thanks.

ps - im getting a 4 runner. I love my Corvette, and I wish I could keep it forever. But I'ts just too small inside, and my arthritis is catching up to me.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Kale
I suppose I can let people test drive. But I won't let them "open it up." I don't want to end up upside down in a ditch. or have them walk away laughing from a banged up car.

I'd probably pull the exhaust if it didnt mean welding to put a new one on.

Maybe I'll try ebay...

Thanks.

ps - im getting a 4 runner. I love my Corvette, and I wish I could keep it forever. But I'ts just too small inside, and my arthritis is catching up to me.
I would never beat on a car in a test drive, but I would want to at least give it a little gas.

Good luck on the sale.

Quick Reply: Need help selling C5 fast.