Sponsored by:

Foglight connector difference on HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 AM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglight connector difference on HID conversion

I purchase an HID conversion (Corvettemods) and the connectors are different from the stock connector. I have a 2001 C% base. It appears the stock connector is a 9006 and the HID is H11? Basically the terminals are spaced differently. On the stock 899 bulb the terminals are narrow spaced and on the ballast for the HID the connector has wide spaced terminals.

Has any one else had this issue? Should I just by an adapter?

The picture shows the 899 bulb on the top and two of the HID connectors on the bottom. This is just for reference, I know i will be using the female stock connector.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I had the same problem with another set of HID fog lights. Amazon sells a cheap adapter that works great.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Please follow the included install guide. It advised on how to install
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

I have looked at the install guide and understand that there is the extention kit. But there is no matching connector included to match the stock wiring harness. Other than cutting or modifying the stock connector there is no real solution with the included hardware. I have purchase two new H11 male connectors, a couple bucks, not a big deal.

Is there another ways others are accomplishing this? I have only seen on post referencing the adapter.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by FlywithV
I have looked at the install guide and understand that there is the extention kit. But there is no matching connector included to match the stock wiring harness. Other than cutting or modifying the stock connector there is no real solution with the included hardware. I have purchase two new H11 male connectors, a couple bucks, not a big deal.

Is there another ways others are accomplishing this? I have only seen on post referencing the adapter.
Unfortunately, for some reason the wiring harness manufacturer used two different sized connectors for the fog lights. I don't know why they did this (it's insane when dealing with aftermarket parts), but it presents a big problem when the male and female plugs are not the same width at the pins. I solved the problem with an adapter that a friend of mine found on Amazon for me. I think it cost less than $10, including shipping. If you can't locate one for your setup let me know and I'll dig through my receipt records and get the exact part number and seller for you.

There is no way to know if you have the "good" fog light connectors or the "bad" ones until you actually get down to the wiring and see for yourself.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:09 PM
FlywithV
Heel & Toe

This is what i have seen in research but appearently this issue is rare becuase there isnt really anyone posting about it. Hopefully this will clear it up.

But the interesting thing is I have GE899 bulbs stock. As you can see it is a male h11 connector. As I understand the 899 and 893 are interchangable so why would this ge899 be different then all the others out there?

Last edited by FlywithV; 07-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Foglight connector difference on HID conversion

Quick Reply: Foglight connector difference on HID conversion