C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailer's..what wax do you use?

Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Mickster144
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Detailer's..what wax do you use?

I know that many of you have their favorite wax. I would like to know what wax the detailer's use?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

There are so many good choices that it's hard to recommend one. Usually people try different things and use what they like. For me, I like sealants more than waxes since they are more durable. Both Adam's and Menzerna make great sealants. Some people like to top off sealants with waxes for the best of both worlds (lasting protection and shine). For this, anything carnauba based should give you a show car finish with ridiculous shine and depth.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

May as well ask about religion/sports/politics.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
Some people like to top off sealants with waxes for the best of both worlds (lasting protection and shine). For this, anything carnauba based should give you a show car finish with ridiculous shine and depth.
Carnauba wax loses its properties over 120* (iirc), so is pretty much useless in Texas and other sunny climates where car finishes can easily top that temp. It also has a yellow tint to it, so is not very good for cars with bright finishes, such as my Arctic White.

My vote is for Zaino.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

there are five or six very popular products and manufacturers, for me I use Zaino. I've been detailing for 55 years. I've been using Zaino for the last fifteen years because it does what I find to be remarkable. I suspect one of the other four or five products would be as effective. None of the products in this group are what I call day waxes. They are inexpensive ,last a very short time, are not 99.9 % optically clear have little UV protection. My car's finish speaks for itself. I don't use any Carnauba based products. Its great stuff but with engine temps in the 220F + Carnauba is not my choice under high heat conditions . So with the results I get from Zaino, and the comments I get every single time I take my car out, speaks volumes to me about my car finish.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-14-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Carnauba wax loses its properties over 120* (iirc), so is pretty much useless in Texas and other sunny climates where car finishes can easily top that temp. It also has a yellow tint to it, so is not very good for cars with bright finishes, such as my Arctic White.

My vote is for Zaino.
Which is why I said I prefer sealants. If you want "a little extra" for a show or meet you can top it off with carnauba. It won't turn your car yellow.

Zaino isn't a bad product or choice. There are plenty of other choices out there that are just as good, or better. As mentioned, use what you like and what you are comfortable with. Also, don't take everything you read on here to heart. Learn by trying different products and judging what YOU like best, not what others tell you to like or claim is the best. You never know who is being greased or who has a vested interest in a particular product.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

There are so many good choices that it's hard to recommend one. Usually people try different things and use what they like. For me, I like sealants more than waxes since they are more durable. Both Adam's and Menzerna make great sealants. Some people like to top off sealants with waxes for the best of both worlds (lasting protection and shine). For this, anything carnauba based should give you a show car finish with ridiculous shine and depth.

Used Zaino for 2 years before switching over to Adams Brilliant Glaze and Americana Paste Wax (carnauba based). I achieved better results with this combo than with the Zaino. My car is only a weekend driver so it doesn't sit out in the Texas heat much at all.

I've gotten great compliments how the paint on my car looks "wet" and "glassy".
Attached Images   
Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

It won't turn your car yellow.
My white car would argue that point, if it could argue. Before and after use of Carnauba shows a yellowish tint, or at the very least an off-white, when applied to my car's paint. As ET pointed out, Carnauba wax is not optically clear.

Also, don't take everything you read on here to heart. Learn by trying different products and judging what YOU like best, not what others tell you to like or claim is the best. You never know who is being greased or who has a vested interest in a particular product.
I research everything myself.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

My white car would argue that point, if it could argue. Before and after use of Carnauba shows a yellowish tint, or at the very least an off-white, when applied to my car's paint. As ET pointed out, Carnauba wax is not optically clear.

I research everything myself.
How weird, when i used the Adams Americana Paste Wax on a friend's white C6 i didn't notice any kind of yellowish tint. What product was this from?
Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
How weird, when i used the Adams Americana Paste Wax on a friend's white C6 i didn't notice any kind of yellowish tint. What product was this from?
Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba. I gave the can away.

On a bright note, I'll be ordering some new Zaino stuff tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba. I gave the can away.

On a bright note, I'll be ordering some new Zaino stuff tomorrow.
Yeah usually all the Wal-Mart off the shelf stuff is crap....
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Rather than this thread moving to heated discussion, I think that most of us support our personal choice of detailing product. Once you commit to a product based on you own conclusions, you want to defend that decision. When someone is in the research phase of using anything, you are much more subjective. the differences between any of these top shelf products are too close to discriminate. There is not one person on this forum that could tell the difference between any of these top shelf products as to the point of Identifying which product was used. For me, the optical clarity , the ease of use, and the results I get, make me very happy. I don't really care what anyone uses. The OP asked what I use, and I told him what I use and why I use it. I am not going to put down someone else's product choice. It serves no useful purpose.
Bill
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

3M, Meguiars, and now switched to Autoglym products. Only recently became available in Canada over the last 2 years. GREAT products!
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Yeah usually all the Wal-Mart off the shelf stuff is crap....
Meguiar's usually isn't on that list, though.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

C5 COTM Coordinator

Meguiar's usually isn't on that list, though.
I have a professional detailing friend here in town that told me Meguiars has a pro line of products and your typical shelf products. I can imgaine the pro products deliver a much better finish than what's on the shelf so i can't completely bash on Meguiars.

Anything is really better than "turtle wax"
Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a professional detailing friend here in town that told me Meguiars has a pro line of products and your typical shelf products. I can imgaine the pro products deliver a much better finish than what's on the shelf so i can't completely bash on Meguiars.

No offense to turtle wax users, but ya
Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Yeah, I can't argue that one.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailer's..what wax do you use?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Yeah, I can't argue that one.
True that. The off the shelf NXT from MGs isn't that bad. I've heard the turtle wax "ice" is ok too.

The detail industry moves pretty quickly. Trying new stuff is always good. I'm waiting to try the new SCG products when they are ready.

For cutting and polishing, I have yet to find anything better than Menzerna, but I think this thread is more about wax than paint correction.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Menzerna, Duragloss, Adams, Zaino and the list goes on and on,
Am sure all these products do well and we all like the products we each use and stick to.
I don't use a wax only sealers like Menzerna, Duragloss, C-Magic. All these work very well, give an excellent shine, wet look and last.
Am sure the lovers of Zaino feel the same way about their choices.
So many products out there all claiming to be the best............tough choices.
Good luck to the OP on your choice
Old 07-14-2014, 01:07 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Chadwick's triple play! Done!
(Not a professional detailer, just a customer of one)

Last edited by 2000BC; 07-14-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detailer's..what wax do you use?