Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by momo20
that is false statement, the OEM C5 Corvette headlight housings were not designed for HID bulbs, sure you can run HID in a stock housing but it throw light every were making it very unsafe for oncoming traffic, that is why a projector lens is used so it can focus the light better, not a good ideal to run HID in a stock housing...
Its not a flase stament, you can put in whatever bulb you want to. Also there is alot of cars that have "aftermarket" part on there car that was not "designed" for it. why everyone gets all crazy when someone says somthing about HID'S. I have had mine in at works just fine. And like i said yes the projectors will work better for sure, but im not spending hundareds of dollars for an ugly projector light to run HIDS.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Just FYI you don't need projectors to run HIDS. I'm sure it better for sure but as long as as you have them angled right you will be fine. Plus DDM has lifetime warranty and only $35
I have done this in the past and sure it will work, But is it correct and safe?...No.
The reflectors in the stock housings are not designed for HID bulbs and what will happen is the light will splatter everywhere and no way to adjust it. So for those that want HID bulbs change your housings that will support HID. Those that say it works fine need to really rethink what they see.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Its not a flase stament, you can put in whatever bulb you want to. Also there is alot of cars that have "aftermarket" part on there car that was not "designed" for it. why everyone gets all crazy when someone says somthing about HID'S. I have had mine in at works just fine. And like i said yes the projectors will work better for sure, but im not spending hundareds of dollars for an ugly projector light to run HIDS.

This coming from a guy with black wheels...lol

Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 PM
jrc27
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Sun Guns are the best
Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrc27
Sun Guns are the best
Love mine

Those damn stock adjusters though.. My passenger side I had to completely disassemble and actually soak in a cup of PB Blaster overnight to unfreeze them.. The drivers side wasn't nearly as bad.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by GoldenFlame
Love mine

Those damn stock adjusters though.. My passenger side I had to completely disassemble and actually soak in a cup of PB Blaster overnight to unfreeze them.. The drivers side wasn't nearly as bad.

Looks good, Are you missing the bezels?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Looks good, Are you missing the bezels?
Thanks! By bezels do you mean the shrouds that surround the projectors? They haven't released them yet as far as I know but I kinda like the look without them
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

it still is a false statement on the HID lights in the stock housings, they reflector was not made for that type of bulb and is a danger to oncoming traffic that is a FACT! and we are not talking about other "aftermarket" parts are we? and I am sure you think 8000k HID's out put more then 5000k HID set up as well? do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Mickeyrx70

The adjusters use an inverted Torx #8 socket. Mine were frozen & I used the technique recommended by MAC5 & it worked great.
To TheRadioFlyer, Mac5 and Mickeyrx70, thanks for the heads-up so to speak . I will make sure to soak them thoroughly the day before installation.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by momo20
it still is a false statement on the HID lights in the stock housings, they reflector was not made for that type of bulb and is a danger to oncoming traffic that is a FACT! and we are not talking about other "aftermarket" parts are we? and I am sure you think 8000k HID's out put more then 5000k HID set up as well? do it right or don't do it at all.
I have 6k 55watt. I dont like the blue and they are not as bright, so i guess you thought wrong. And you talk like you are the designer of the C5 headlight housing and HID bulb. Or you are just stating your opinion. To be honest i dont really care just stating my opinion. I bet more people on this forum have hids in the factory housing versus people who have the "correct/hid approved" housing. Wasnt trying to start an argument just giving my 2 cents.

Last edited by zdeckich; 07-10-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
This coming from a guy with black wheels...lol

Nothing wrong with black wheels hides the brake dust better lol.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

I have 6k 55watt. I dont like the blue and they are not as bright, so i guess you thought wrong. And you talk like you are the designer of the C5 headlight housing and HID bulb. Or you are just stating your opinion. To be honest i dont really care just stating my opinion. I bet more people on this forum have hids in the factory housing versus people who have the "correct/hid approved" housing. Wasnt trying to start an argument just giving my 2 cents.
6000K is pretty close to 5000K as far as lumens output, but the Human eye doesn't detect the blue output as well as the white. On average the human eye is more sensitive to yellow (which is why it's used extensively in shooting glasses, fog lights etc) but White illuminates things in their natural color.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:29 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I am also stating my opinion which happens to be fact's and i never said anything that i was a designer of the C5 headlight housing or HID's bulb's for that matter, I care about not blinding on coming traffic so that is why i went with a proper HID setup and i did not half fast my setup, sure you can put HID's in a stock housing but you are really not gaining anything by doing so other then a cool looking bright non focused light beam, i guess if that is what your after then props to you man!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When i bought my car it had hid's and they only stayed cause it didn't get driven in the dark often enough to care. One of them failed last year right at the end of the season and i replaced the lights with 9112 bulbs. They honestly look about the same bright and are focused noticably better. They don't look liek im some street racer with hids in reflector housings either so win win imo. They do cost about the same as an hid kit and require a bit of trimming but i jsut did it with a dremel buy eye, took 2 minutes a bulb.
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (08-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I'm another very satisfied customer of Radioflyer and his HID lighting package. Very easy to install and complete plug and play!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the HID in stock housings, yes there was some more light output over stock but was really scattered. People complained to me that knew me that the light driving behind them or passing them was really bad. Also got flashed by on coming traffic due to the lights. Yes I did lower them so I would not blind other drivers but it still does happen.

Finally saw "the light" and installed the Radioflyer Bi-xenon lights and could not be happier.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:55 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 596 Posts

For goodness sake!... Here it is now summer 2020, and I still cannot see "a damn thing" driving at night with this GM designed product!... They (GM) have failed us big time with the ability to see and drive at night safely with the horrible headlight product on the C5...and they won't fix it!. I gotta drive a different car at night for my and others safety!.. GM should be ashamed!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Jack 2003
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great product....

Quick Reply: Looking for HID headlights