I got pulled over today

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got pulled over today

Yeah, I got pulled over today

I am Canadian, so its not in MPH. I was in a 60km/h zone, and about 50 meters before the 80 km/h zone I started to accelerate. I had a red cavalier behind me, and he was riding my bumper. I normally don't pay to much attention to that, but this guy was really close. To make a long story short I should have paid more attention to traffic that was coming the other way, as the cop was the lead car. The cavalier behind me was just as fast as I was, however, he pulled me over.

To be honest, I was very lucky this day. He did have me, as I was before the zone. Also, I had had some repairs done to the corvette, and the ownership and insurance were in my other vehicle. Yes, big oversight on my part. The officer let me go, with no problem. He said he didn't like my attitude. Funny thing is, when he came to the car, he asked me if I knew what I did wrong, and I said, yes Sir, I was doing 80 before the 80 zone. However, there was a car behind me doing the same thing, and, we were only 50 meters to the zone. I know technically that is wrong, but I have done that a million times in my Denali, and never a problem. He did have me dead to nuts with no ownership or proof of insurance. Worst thing was, it was right in front of my place of business. I had just finished making a coffee run. Man, what a heat score my new car is. At least he let me go. Lesson learned.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Belcriss
Yeah, I got pulled over today

I am Canadian, so its not in MPH. I was in a 60km/h zone, and about 50 meters before the 80 km/h zone I started to accelerate. I had a red cavalier behind me, and he was riding my bumper. I normally don't pay to much attention to that, but this guy was really close. To make a long story short I should have paid more attention to traffic that was coming the other way, as the cop was the lead car. The cavalier behind me was just as fast as I was, however, he pulled me over.

To be honest, I was very lucky this day. He did have me, as I was before the zone. Also, I had had some repairs done to the corvette, and the ownership and insurance were in my other vehicle. Yes, big oversight on my part. The officer let me go, with no problem. He said he didn't like my attitude. Funny thing is, when he came to the car, he asked me if I knew what I did wrong, and I said, yes Sir, I was doing 80 before the 80 zone. However, there was a car behind me doing the same thing, and, we were only 50 meters to the zone. I know technically that is wrong, but I have done that a million times in my Denali, and never a problem. He did have me dead to nuts with no ownership or proof of insurance. Worst thing was, it was right in front of my place of business. I had just finished making a coffee run. Man, what a heat score my new car is. At least he let me go. Lesson learned.
You should never admit to breaking the law... its almost impossible for the cop to ignore that which you admit too. You are very lucky.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You should never admit to breaking the law... its almost impossible for the cop to ignore that which you admit too. You are very lucky.
That's so not true. Even admitting it's at the cops discretion. However if you admit it and he does cite you don't fight it lol. Anyway admitting wrong goes a long way. He pulled you over for a reason and denying that reason if true will just **** him off.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

You should never ever admit to being Canadian.

Glad you didn't get your car impounded. This is Liberal Ontario after all. Good thing you scraped that PC election sticker off the bumper.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
You should never ever admit to being Canadian.

Glad you didn't get your car impounded. This is Liberal Ontario after all. Good thing you scraped that PC election sticker off the bumper.
I can't deny what is true. However, I wasn't doing more than 50km in an 80, or more than 30 in a 60km zone. So no impounding. However, he did let me go, so I should buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by joewom
That's so not true. Even admitting it's at the cops discretion. However if you admit it and he does cite you don't fight it lol. Anyway admitting wrong goes a long way. He pulled you over for a reason and denying that reason if true will just **** him off.
You are so right. Be polite, don't act ignorant and many times he will just give you a warning. I always admit I was doing wrong, apologize and try to be polite. Haven't got a ticket since 1979 and I have been pulled over plenty since then.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Get on line and place a bet, this is your lucky day!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You simply say No... I do not know what I did wrong.. ask any lawyer if telling an officer you broke the law and admitting to it, is worse then saying nothing, Admission of guilt almost always requires an action. I have two Corvette friends who are New Jersey State troopers, Highway patrol. we got on this subject a few times over the years and their adamant answer to admission of guilt is not something that you should ever do. A lawyer will tell you the same thing. There is even an Amendment to the Constitution that defends this position. I guess you are not familiar with the 5th Amendment.. seems as though our founding fathers thought self incrimination was something important enough that it needed to be protected and has stood strong for 250 years.
"So Not true " indeed, what country do you live in, or what rock do you live under.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You simply say No... I do not know what I did wrong.. ask any lawyer if telling an officer you broke the law and admitting to it, is worse then saying nothing, Admission of guilt almost always requires an action. I have two Corvette friends who are New Jersey State troopers, Highway patrol. we got on this subject a few times over the years and their adamant answer to admission of guilt is not something that you should ever do. A lawyer will tell you the same thing. There is even an Amendment to the Constitution that defends this position. I guess you are not familiar with the 5th Amendment.. seems as though our founding fathers thought self incrimination was something important enough that it needed to be protected and has stood strong for 250 years.
"So Not true " indeed, what country do you live in, or what rock do you live under.
Acting ignorant is the best way to get a ticket. The cop knows you know what you did wrong. He ain't stupid. Admission of a minor traffic violation will probably get you a warning instead of a ticket. Worked many times for me. I have a half dozen friends that were or are still cops. We talk about it all the time. Usually they don't know if they are going to give a ticket or not when they pull someone over. It all depends how the guy behaves. Cops are people and they like honesty. If acting dumb works for you, go ahead keep on doing it. It didn't work for me.
Lawyers are not always right. I know some that are as dumb as rocks.

Now drunk driving, evading or reckless driving is a different story. Keep your mouth shut.

Last edited by JR-01; 07-03-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by JR-01
Acting ignorant is the best way to get a ticket. The cop knows you know what you did wrong. He ain't stupid. Admission of a minor traffic violation will probably get you a warning instead of a ticket. Worked many times for me. I have a half dozen friends that were or are still cops. We talk about it all the time. Usually they don't know if they are going to give a ticket or not when they pull someone over. It all depends how the guy behaves. Cops are people and they like honesty. If acting dumb works for you, go ahead keep on doing it. It didn't work for me.
Especially the last part. Their fee is their first concern, especially in traffic ticket cases.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by JR-01

Now drunk driving, evading or reckless driving is a different story. Keep your mouth shut.
Excatly minor traffic violations is different then major. Speeding if you were acting stupid when pulled over will almost always equal ticket. Your so right that usually the first thing out your mouth is what the cop uses to decide on ticket. When I had my 350z I was stopped by ga state police twice in two weeks and got warnings even after the cop saw I just got a warning a week ago. Why because I was polite and said you got me I'm sorry blah blah.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Excatly minor traffic violations is different then major. Speeding if you were acting stupid when pulled over will almost always equal ticket. Your so right that usually the first thing out your mouth is what the cop uses to decide on ticket. When I had my 350z I was stopped by ga state police twice in two weeks and got warnings even after the cop saw I just got a warning a week ago. Why because I was polite and said you got me I'm sorry blah blah.
In my 45 years of driving just about everything, I have had a lot of experience with cops. Acting ignorant or denying any wrongdoing if you are guilty almost always will get you a ticket instead of a warning.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I would have said "I am not sure officer was I speeding" and see where the conversation went from there.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,449 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Glad the LEO let you go with just a warning. Sometimes it is your lucky day.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no correct answer to this question. Some will write some won't.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

good to see u got let off , im in Toronto they have speed radar here a lot, and if they pull u over for speeding ur getting a ticket no matter what.

Although sometimes they will reduce your clocked speed to the point of you not losing points.

Ive had many run ins of many kinds with police, its always best to be polite, show respect, and if the offence is minor and you've been caught red handed your better off just admitting your wrong and hoping for mercy, which ive also received many times.

Get notified of new replies

To I got pulled over today

Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There is nothing more you can do to **** a LEO off when he pulls you over, than to try to play him for a IDIOT.
Fred
Old 07-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dankhts
I love the hood on your car, it looks so badass!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Stainsy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Glad the LEO let you go with just a warning. Sometimes it is your lucky day.
I can't deny that. I tried to get plates for Ontario that said HEATSCR. Never new how true that really was.

Quick Reply: I got pulled over today