Vararam vs. Callaway Honker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I went through the same challenge two years ago when choosing my CAI. After helping a friend install his Vararam, I chose the Callaway Honker.

I know there are guys who will swear on the Vararam, however I wasn't impressed with the quality of the parts. Another reason I chose the Honker was because I thought it had the best OEM look of all the CAIs I checked, plus it took advantage of the original bottom breathing design of the C5.

When you compare the costs, also make sure you calculate in the cost of secondary air bridge which is included with the Honker! It brings the costs more in line.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
If you guys have talked to Vararam team you would know that the design of it is so that it should not go through your hood or damage engine in a front end crash. It will break up and hopefully cause less damage. I had one I installed almost 4 years ago. I removed it for supercharger I installed back in Oct. I could tell a difference in performance and better gas mileage. When I used my predator I could also see that the air temps ran the same as ambient air temp. Unless you enter your car in shows, who cares what it looks like. I would buy another Vararam if I am ever in the market again. The price was right and performance was outstanding. No issues in rain or wet weather either. Do your research and talk to both companies also. Good luck in your decision!
Chris

Vararam....everyone else is just pretending.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I own a VR. I haven't owned a honker. I've never heard that discussing breathless performance was taboo, until now. Someone is coming across as delusional and paranoid.

So vararam is trying to blame their serious lack of quality on safety? Very sad if true. While I love their design, function and fit are fine on my car, I have always wondered why a company would ignore the end users
complaints. You'd think they would take it under advisement and tweak their design. If you were *** deep in inventory, and had no choice but to try and sell it off, I could understand.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Says the FI guy.....

I have used ALL 3 above mentioned... the BP was my first one about 10 yrs ago... It was ok... that's about it... VRb2 was used for about 3yrs...I thought it was a nice piece, but flimsy, not well built at all imo...

Currently run the Honker and wished I would have started w this one.. flows very well... Car runs cool.. ( mostly because Dewitts, spal, 160 deg t stat) but the Honker is constructed they all should be AND Calloway is well known throughout the racing community.

PM me "OP".. I have the hook up here in Dallas... I can save you about $200.....

Originally Posted by sfc rick

Vararam....everyone else is just pretending.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I don't think it's taboo, just that the "better CAI" topic has been beaten to death over the years and there aren't too many owners promoting the Breathless Performance CAI although I did see a Vortex Rammer with the clear casing at a show once. Performance aside, I thought it looked a little strange as the plastic casing had a bunch of scratches on it and it was showcasing a dirty filter with sucked up debris.
Don't say the topic has been beaten to death or someone will chime in stating the C5 is becoming the new C4..........oops.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Vararam because it was cheaper and will still work if/when I convert to a front-breathing design. The fact that it should be more effective at track speeds is nice too. If I were not tracking the car and just wanted a stock-ish look and feel I'd buy the Callaway.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

I track my car... and it performs, breathes great....

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I bought the Vararam because it was cheaper and will still work if/when I convert to a front-breathing design. The fact that it should be more effective at track speeds is nice too. If I were not tracking the car and just wanted a stock-ish look and feel I'd buy the Callaway.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:49 AM
The_Gray_Ghost
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
Want a true opinion without bias? Ask the performance shops which they prefer and why.
Originally Posted by 540i 6spd
In general a lot of tuning shops hawk parts and like most business they push the units that bring them the most $$$.
^This.

I'm always hesitant to go into a performance shop and ask, "What do you guys recommend?". I've had that go south on me a few times in my younger days. Now, I take my questions to the REAL professionals...the guys that are living with these parts every day and who have real world experience with their performance.

No offense though...not all speed shops are bad, and I'm sure some would steer you in the right direction. And it's never a bad idea to ask for opinions. I just like to have a little real-world research to go with it, that's all.

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Says the FI guy.....

I have used ALL 3 above mentioned... the BP was my first one about 10 yrs ago... It was ok... that's about it... VRb2 was used for about 3yrs...I thought it was a nice piece, but flimsy, not well built at all imo...

Currently run the Honker and wished I would have started w this one.. flows very well... Car runs cool.. ( mostly because Dewitts, spal, 160 deg t stat) but the Honker is constructed they all should be AND Calloway is well known throughout the racing community.

PM me "OP".. I have the hook up here in Dallas... I can save you about $200.....

Your car is gorgeous!

Thanks for the offer! If I decide to go with the Honker I will take you up on it and shoot you a PM.

I appreciate the feedback from all you guys/gals, as I know intakes and exhausts are two of the most beaten-to-death topics on automotive forums, and both are quite subjective. However, the opinions/information given from you all is exactly what I was looking for. Just some honest, real-world experiences from some people who actually own these products. Much appreciated!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
I track my car... and it performs, breathes great....
Compared to what? You pick up a second per lap somewhere with the Honker over the Vararam?

I haven't tested the two myself nor seen evidence of anyone else doing any sort of objective track A/B test, I just figure taking air from the front should be better in general at high speeds. Maybe it's not? Who knows.

I've found that objective testing is not something that any companies making parts for street cars like to share for whatever reason. It's incredibly annoying.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Not saying that I picked up anything in terms of perf... I have not done any testing. I am speaking in personal preference terms. I "feel" as though the Honker performs, breathes better... I have nothing to back that up...

The BP Vortex is so.... 1990's....

Compared to what? You pick up a second per lap somewhere with the Honker over the Vararam?

I haven't tested the two myself nor seen evidence of anyone else doing any sort of objective track A/B test, I just figure taking air from the front should be better in general at high speeds. Maybe it's not? Who knows.

I've found that objective testing is not something that any companies making parts for street cars like to share for whatever reason. It's incredibly annoying.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm13
So everyone continues to pretend that Breathless Performance does not exist..... Can someone fill me in why that is?
I had their CAI on two of my cars. Both showed difference that I could feel. Instalation was a snap and it looks good. It is good for about 20 hp gain. No accordeon like the honker. All silicone couplers. You can get it with a carbon airbridge for the full effect. This bridge by the way, is pretty much the only real carbon fiber part out thrre that I have seen. Meaning it is 100% cf, super light functional piece. Unlike some other cf fiber bridges that cost more, weigh 5 times more and the cf is just a top layer for looks.
Bang per buck, combined with looks and ease of installation, my money is on the Breathless Performance.
20 HP? Humm Show me. Not buying that
Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
Don't say the topic has been beaten to death or someone will chime in stating the C5 is becoming the new C4..........oops.
That thread was a lot of fun! It went wayyyyy off the intended course.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Hell, why do a cam when you can get 20hp from a Breathless Perf Vortex Ram air...?

Originally Posted by vinceg
20 HP? Humm Show me. Not buying that
Old 07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Former VRB2 set up....

Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

EXACTLY, most of this stuff is SNAKE OIL, this "seat of the pants" or "better throttle response" arguments you get when people spend hundreds on a plastic tube and an AIR FILTER. You never really see before and after numbers, especially dyno number because these things make little/no difference on a dyno. I've never seen track numbers before/after either.

The MOST air you'll ever get into and engine is with NO FILTER AT ALL, if they would at least compare that you might have something to go by. Most people equate the extra NOISE they hear from these aftermarket units to better performance.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I will try to add a little "real world" into the discussion here...

My car has two mods that would impact power - B&B Tri-flow cat back and a Honker CAI. For reference, B&B claimed a 8 - 9 hp gain over stock and Honker claimed 16 hp gain over stock.

Most folks here on CF accept 300 rwhp (+/- 5 hp) as an average output for a stock LS1 Vette with an MN6. Mine might have been on the lower side as it was a 345hp rating from the factory, not 350 hp.

My baseline (which included the mods noted above, but prior to tune) was 311 rwhp.

So...the two mods combined for somewhere around 10 - 15 rwhp gain before the tune.

That's real world...
Attached Images  

Last edited by 4XLR8N; 07-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I will try to add a little "real world" into the discussion here...

My car has two mods that would impact power - B&B Tri-flow cat back and a Honker CAI. For reference, B&B claimed a 8 - 9 hp gain over stock and Honker claimed 16 hp gain over stock.

Most folks here on CF accept 300 rwhp (+/- 5 hp) as an average output for a stock LS1 Vette with an MN6. Mine might have been on the lower side as it was a 345hp rating from the factory, not 350 hp.

My baseline (which included the mods noted above, but prior to tune) was 311 rwhp.

So...the two mods combined for somewhere around 10 - 15 rwhp gain before the tune.

That's real world...
Which could have been the day, the exhaust or ??? Do a baseline, then one mod at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam vs. Callaway Honker

Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I seriously doubt your cat back exhaust is adding any HP as the stock system is about as efficient as it is possible to be. Your HP gains are most likely due to the CAI.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:34 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Honker

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 PM
c5 kabukifox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i bought my vette it came with the vararam and i dont mind it at all looks good enouph to me and i like true air ram... one problem i went to check the filter and it was a hastle to get it out and the weather seal in there was all mangled and the filter was just barely big enouph to fit without going all crooked. i went and got some weather strip and made my own seal and am now looking for a new filter cause this one is shot. ive herd they use the lifetime filters but with how mine looks i dont buy it....even after i cleaned it. but i would say vararam... just keep up with it lol

Quick Reply: Vararam vs. Callaway Honker