C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want rear fenders, Not

Old 06-29-2014, 08:48 PM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How many years ago was that? I saw where they worked to fix the issue a few years ago, and haven't seen any complaints since. If memory serves me right, they even wrote checks to customers that had more work than normal due to the manufacturer mistakes.

**edit** a quick search of your issue shows TPE tried everything known to man to fix your issue. You clearly have it out for them.

Originally Posted by road pilot
I have the TPE fenders and they arrived a mess.
Bill everybody (almost) with the flared fenders are all most
a cult. Flared fenders can cost you a lot of money to get them
in a proper condition to put on. And then there is paint. I have
the same color as you. Our color is very hard to blend, if you
can find anyone to do it. You will end up painting more of your
body than you expected. More money.
The end result --you could of tubbed for much less money. And
because there are so few tubbed vettes , you can start your own
cult.
Good luck what ever you do. You can't say you weren't warned.

Last edited by C6smackdown; 06-29-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
IM guessing that some people feel the Carbon creationz flairs are not in the same league as the L5's or TPE. I've seen all three flairs and right out of the box, the carbon fiber creations flairs look like a finished product, with no post mold issues. To me the L5 look too much like a bubble. its just my educated opinion.
here is a shot of the 2 inch carbon creations carbon fiber quarters, just as they are received out of the box.. note the finish is already top notch. The carbon creations flairs are also the most inexpensive of the three. Also Pete is a real stand up guy, much like Dennis of Double D mods.

As a side note that is the best way to put in the rear brake ducts. Blended like they belong not stuck on like the Z06 as if an afterthought.

Great looking car!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

Since no one has posted any,in fairness to all three,here's my L5's during fitting,install,and after. Good luck with your decision Mr.Bill,I know with the way you do your research,your car will look awesome. L8R ZFLASH
Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Your car looks great ZFLASH! Love the MSG....

Originally Posted by ZFLASH
Since no one has posted any,in fairness to all three,here's my L5's during fitting,install,and after. Good luck with your decision Mr.Bill,I know with the way you do your research,your car will look awesome. L8R ZFLASH
Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6smackdown
How many years ago was that? I saw where they worked to fix the issue a few years ago, and haven't seen any complaints since. If memory serves me right, they even wrote checks to customers that had more work than normal due to the manufacturer mistakes.

**edit** a quick search of your issue shows TPE tried everything known to man to fix your issue. You clearly have it out for them.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
You think I "have it out for them" --you would not want to
hear what I think of Breathless Performance.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If I did it again, I'd perhaps go TPE's (that I didn't realize were an option - because you can't find them when googling - which also "worries me")

I do however like the look/lines of the L5's myself. They look even more pronounced and aggressive IMO vs. the TPE's (which is basically what I'm after).

I had issues with my first (terrible) set of L5's. They shipped a new set that is in proper condition. I shouldn't of had to go through that however.

Good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
jfitts23
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone pm me with info on who sells the TPE fender flares. thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Tell us how you really feel RP...

Originally Posted by road pilot
You think I "have it out for them" --you would not want to
hear what I think of Breathless Performance.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Mr. Bill,
Yes you do need wide rear fenders. You know you want them. Just do it. As bad a** as your engine bay is with the custom flame paint, Your exterior is crying for the same detail to attention. I love the wide look of the C5 flares. I've seen all three and they all look great. I bought my L5's used off a forum member and had them modified with C6Z brake scoops. I think if you go with any of the fiberglass fatties they will require a certain amount of prep before paint. The carbon fiber flares that Pete sells probably require the least amount. I'm going with Petes Carbon ZR fronts so I can leave some carbon exsposed in the cove area for a custom look. You need these. Your car needs them. Unleash the beast that is within. Love to see your car transform. Love the underhood details.

Last edited by Stealth02; 07-01-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 AM
MMA FIGHTER2
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calivette805
Corvette creationz carbon no prep needed . Enough said
I have a set of them and yes they all need prep for paint.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:25 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Come on Bill, do it !!!

Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by calivette805
Corvette creationz carbon no prep needed . Enough said
Post pics
Old 07-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

When installed I still think L-5's look the best. But they need work. My body shop comment to me was for the amount they charge for these fenders they should not need this much work. There more then stock one's from GM. They didn't come with antenna hole punched out, there was thin area's on them. They needed trimming, more glass and crap load of blocking.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I tend to listen to the guys that have been through this kinda stuff for many years Like E.T. and R.P. and many others since they have first hand knowledge of the things they comment on that I find very valuable. That being said, I made the decision that i felt is right for me and I have a set of the Carbon ZR flares from Pete on order I have heard of issues with all of them. Knowing R.P. personally and hearing about how much work he had to go through to get his to look the awesome way that they do caused me pause when considering TPE Just seeing Evil Twins car and how highly he recommends them along with my own past dealings with Pete gives me confidence that they will be ok. One thing for sure is that if you happen to end up with issues Pete is the one guy that seems to take care of it. I will not order the duraflex stuff again personally not worth the extra effort you have to go through to get the stuff right. The carbon fiber in general seems to be the way to go. Worst case scenario If they don't fit like I want with a reasonable amount of prep work then I'm doing the mini tub and shoving 345's under factory fenders.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

When I referred to my carbon fiber flairs from Corvette Creationz, as they are finished.. there was no post mold flaws. Nothing had to be " Fixed " prior to fitting, as you can easily see in the photos I showed, These fenders are Not in the rough. They are finishes as well as any painted panel on my car. the depth of the clear coat is deep and flawless.
the only thing necessary in the prep is to rough up the surface, primer and paint. Fitting the panels is another issue. Like the factory quarters, they require some fitting and shimming. From what I have seen in my research, both the L5's and the TPE quarters require Fixing of post mold flaws. AS far as quality goes, and from what I've seen of the L5's and TPE.. the Corvettecre4ations are head and shoulders in quality above what I've seen of panels from either L5 or TPE.

these panels are perfect although the lighting in the photos gives them a less than even appearance.

IM not a body man, I am however, very good with my hands. In my opinion, fitting these panels requires a high level of hand skills. Easily achieved by a professional. ON a scale of 1 to 10 .. 11 being professional level skills. it takes a person with 8 or 9 level hand skills. these panels, no matter who they come from, are not plug and play. they don't just bolt right up. You have to fit them and shim them and then drill the mount holes in the correct position.
I did something no body shop will do. I fit them on my car, and drove it around for two weeks to stress relieve the panels, before I removed them and had them panted. Once painted, they bolted right up.

Fitted and on the car to stress relieve the panels for 2 weeks..Carboncreationz carbon fiber 2 " quarters.

After paint

Old 07-01-2014, 05:27 PM
tcruse
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I just recently ordered TPE fenders and they were pretty good out the box. Like I stated before my paint guy thought they were OEM. I've only seen L5 stuff mounted on cars already so I can't speak of them. I know first hand that Corvette Creation stuff isn't perfect I have their c-wing on my car and it's been off the car twice now trying to get it to fit better. Not to say Pete's fenders aren't better quality it's just you can look up any ones products and there's complaints about something. Some people have a higher tolerance for out of the box stuff and some don't. Of the wing, fenders and hood I've ordered the wing is the only thing that I think about taking off the car non stop. Point being you can't make everyone happy and you won't be happy with everything you receive just research and make the right choice for you. I'll never come on here and bash someone's products. I do research and let my taste bring me what I think will take my car to the next level. You like TPE, L5's or CC fenders you can't go wrong. I've seen pics of all of them and think they all make the cars their on look amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To I want rear fenders, Not

Old 07-01-2014, 05:39 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

lovely wide body's

on average what does a set of rear flared fenders cost?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Where is Mr. Bill ?

He lit the fuse on this thread and has been MIA ever since. IM sad.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
He lit the fuse on this thread and has been MIA ever since. IM sad.

I think he's just sitting back and....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want rear fenders, Not