Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Corvette Nexus 7 tablet install (Build Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM
StopHammertime
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 Corvette Nexus 7 tablet install (Build Thread)

**UPDATE: I may be interested in selling this entire setup to any interested parties. I am testing the waters on selling my car (http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4570112382.html for anyone interested). I may sell all this stuff and return it to a single din setup so the buyer doesn't have to worry about the tablet and all the learning curve involved.

If anyone is interested, I would sell the tablet, double din bezel, cables, PC fan for cooling behind the tablet, for $500 shipped + your factory radio bezel. Pretty good deal considering the bezel alone is $280, plus wait time, and the tablet is $270ish.**

Haven't seen anyone do this build on a C5 yet, but... I have. Figured I would put together a thread of all the efforts, headaches, and amazing results from the process here. Let me know if you have any questions.

**WARNING: THIS IS NOT YOUR GRANDMA'S TAPE DECK REPLACEMENT. FOR ADVANCED INSTALL/MODIFICATION ENTHUSIASTS ONLY**

Keep reading if you want to know more.

Parts:
Nexus 7 2013 32gb
(NOTE: unlocked, rooted, and running ElementalX kernel, and Cyanogenmod11 ROM)
Pioneer DEHX9600BHS single din head unit (
Amazon.com : Pioneer DEHX9600BHS CD Receiver with Full-Dot LCD Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth, HD Radio Tuner, and SiriusXM Ready : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer DEHX9600BHS CD Receiver with Full-Dot LCD Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth, HD Radio Tuner, and SiriusXM Ready : Car Electronics
)
Double D Mods double din radio bezel (http://shop.doubledmods.com/C5-Corve...n-Bezel_c2.htm)
VGate ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter (
Amazon.com: Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive Amazon.com: Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: Automotive
) (Bluetooth PIN is: '1234')
OBD2 90 degree extension cable (
Amazon.com: Oem OBD-II OBD2 16Pin Male to Female Extension Cable Diagnostic Extender 100cm: Electronics Amazon.com: Oem OBD-II OBD2 16Pin Male to Female Extension Cable Diagnostic Extender 100cm: Electronics
)
Metra 40-GM20 antenna adapter (
Amazon Amazon
)
(NOTE: I haven't set up these antennas yet, and I think I'm missing a piece, or the extension may be of the wrong male/female coordination, so don't quote me on this yet. I will update this when I get around to setting this part up)
Metra 204-inch antenna extension cable (
Amazon.com : Metra 44-EC204 204-Inch Antenna Extension Cable : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Metra 44-EC204 204-Inch Antenna Extension Cable : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : Car Electronics
)
Micro USB OTG cable (
Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 4 5 7 10 Galaxy Nexus & Samsung Galaxy S 3 III 4 IV 5 V.: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 4 5 7 10 Galaxy Nexus & Samsung Galaxy S 3 III 4 IV 5 V.: Computers & Accessories
)
(NOTE: This is only necessary if you want to have an external connection to the tablet while still charging it. i.e. External hard drive, access VIA your Laptop for updating software, etc. Otherwise, just use a normal USB micro cable for charging)
Infinity 6.5" speakers for the front doors (
Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System : Component Vehicle Speaker Systems : Car Electronics
)
120mm PC fan (Not installed yet, for cooling behind the tablet) (
Amazon.com: Enermax T.B. Silence 120mm Ultra Quiet Twister Bearing Cooling Fan, Black UCTB12: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Enermax T.B. Silence 120mm Ultra Quiet Twister Bearing Cooling Fan, Black UCTB12: Computers & Accessories
)
USAMS dual USB adapter (
Amazon.com: USAMS Compact High Output Dual USB Car Charger - 3.1A Output Ideal for Charging iPad, iPad 2, Galaxy, iPhone, HTC, Droid, GPS, and Other Tablets, Smart Phones and USB Powered Devices (Data cable not included) (black): Everything Else Amazon.com: USAMS Compact High Output Dual USB Car Charger - 3.1A Output Ideal for Charging iPad, iPad 2, Galaxy, iPhone, HTC, Droid, GPS, and Other Tablets, Smart Phones and USB Powered Devices (Data cable not included) (black): Everything Else
)

I had an old 10" Infinity sub, MTX amp, 4 channel amp for door speakers, and wiring kit laying around, so I can't provide part numbers on that. There is some random stuff that is not mentioned that I had laying around such as MDF board for creating a bracket for the door speakers, etc. (Do a search for build threads on those)

I'm only running front speakers at the moment. Rear speakers will be installed in a couple of weeks, but that's a bit irrelevant to this build thread, as that is a very basic stereo item/install.

-------------------------------------

**DISCLAIMER** Time for a little rant about this before you get too excited and decide to do this yourself. This project has taken a LONG time, and has been extremely difficult. Would I do it again? I don't know, to be honest. It's really been a long road, but I really am THRILLED with the final result. Hopefully this thread can help some people hoping to do the same thing avoid some hassles and headaches that I could have avoided had I found something similar to this already done with a C5.

With that out of the way, here's how everything happened. I started out by ordering my Nexus 7 tablet, and trying to modify my radio bezel myself. Trust me when I say this, unless you've done body work/etc. before, don't bother. Just send it to Dennis/Double D Mods, and let them do it. They did an incredible job on my bezel. Dennis and Donna, they were AMAZING to work with. Really a great couple of people to talk to. Originally, I think there was a misunderstanding of what I was wanting, and they thought a completely new design would be needed, but alas, I told them to just go ahead and send me a normal double din bezel with dual gauge cluster built in, and got it a week or so later (they had it for a couple of months while figuring out how it would need built - again, a bit of a misunderstanding, no one's fault). The build quality was incredible, and I would highly suggest them! If you replicate my build, just get a normal double din bezel. A Nexus 7 WILL FIT without modifying the bezel, even though I was told it would not (this goes back to my belief that there was a miscommunication on what I was wanting).

When you get your bezel back, you will see a flat back surface. You have a couple of options, here. You can figure out a mounting system of some sort, or epoxy/hot glue the tablet in place, or go the ghetto way like I am currently doing until I figure out how I want to permanently mount the tablet and have it be removable, and use industrial strength electrical tape (I'm actually okay with how it's mounted for now).

Some photos of the tablet sitting against the bezel. Note: I put some industrial grade electrical tape against the flat sides to act as padding/reduce vibrations/avoid scratching. It works great, and is not visible when installed:

Name:  TyFi0n6.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  670.7 KB

Name:  6j8b1mv.jpg
Size:  693.2 KB

Name:  PkP2Rzz.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  586.5 KB

Name:  bfA0w9W.jpg
Size:  624.9 KB

How I have it mounted for now is just some electrical tape strapping it in from the top to the bottom in three strips, one left, one right, one middle. Yes, it's kind of ghetto, but it works for now until I figure out a permanent quick-disconnect mounting system. The black tape is barely noticeable, and actually could be entirely concealed with some creativity. NOTE: From Double-D Mods, there is a gap on the top and bottom of the tablet. You can use some felt strips to "fill" the gap, or not. I opted not to for now, as I'm going to chalk the gaps off to being vents to let heat escape from the center area behind the bezel. You will also need to follow the double din install on Double D Mod's website as normal, which is to drop the HVAC controls a bit (pretty easy), and remove the lower mounting tray (pretty easy as well). See their website for additional info.

Onto the single din head unit. I removed the entire factory Bose stereo setup. Speakers, head unit, and CD changer (everything has been sold already, sorry). NOTE: I tried mounting the single din in the glove box, but it WILL NOT WORK!!! There is part of the firewall behind the plastic box/frame that will be in the way. I had to think of an alternate solution. This literally was just thought of last weekend, so it's still a new idea, and it may get changed down the road. For now, it's sitting behind my passenger seat in the trunk area. I am building a carpeted MDF box for it this weekend to conceal it, so it will be much cleaner than this when completed:
Name:  8Xzpfrf.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  2.20 MB

This head unit serves as my central unit for sending audio to the amps/speakers. I tether an internet connection to the Nexus 7 from my Android phone, and I connect the tablet VIA Bluetooth to the head unit for audio. It works PRETTY good, but I have a couple of issues with Bluetooth needing to be cycled after sitting for longer than several minutes with no connection from my tablet. Not a deal killer for me.

The tablet has so much you can do with it that I'll have to get into that later on, as I feel like I'm already rambling on and on, and my fingers are getting tired. I'll save that for another day, but the important thing that you all will be interested in is an app called Torque. This app is phenomenal. You can monitor just about anything important in your computer, check codes, clear codes, and soooo so so much more.

There's a plugin I like that is rather neat. RacingMeter for Torque (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...meterfortorque). It allows you to have a realtime racing dash right in your center console. It's pretty awesome, and VERY customizeable. Very cool for us track folks.

Some advantages to doing this:
- in-dash GPS via Google Maps
- Huge music and entertainment library via Spotify, Pandora, external HDD library, etc.
- aesthetically incredible looking
- highly customizeable
- in-dash code scanner/sensor monitoring
- in-dash gauge setups
- in-dash internet browsing (when parked, or stuck at a train, etc. of course)
- in-dash email/text
- hands free calling/caller ID
- ability to add rear-view camera setup (I have not done this yet, coming soon...)
- Much MUCH more

Some Disadvantages:
- No **** for volume control, not a big deal to me, though. Volume control are the Corvette flags on the main screen seen below. Available widget for distribution upon request.
- Very complicated setup
- Very time consuming
- Very frustrating at times
- Wait time on getting bezel modified (WORTH IT, though)
- A couple of minor bugs, but this was just finished this weekend, so I'll have those ironed out in no time.

Onto the current look of the installation. Again, yes it is electrical taped into place for the time being, and I am missing a gauge in one of the holes (waiting on my new gauge to come in). But, here it is. If you guys have any questions, please ask. I can't wait to read all the negative feedback from people claiming I ruined this car... oh, you silly people. Just enjoy the read, pictures, and have fun with your Corvette!

As it sits today:
Name:  Lj8ppQx.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  2.46 MB

(No **** for volume control, not a big deal to me, though. Volume control are the Corvette flags on the main screen seen above. Available widget for distribution upon request.)

Screenshot of the plugin for the digital racing gauges:
Name:  5wI57mH.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  104.9 KB

Bonus pic of what it's sitting in:
Name:  UJyTpDV.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  179.7 KB

Last edited by StopHammertime; 07-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-17-2017)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM
StopHammertime
Instructor

(Additional Info Parking Space 1)

I was using an AutoMeter dual gauge pillar for my gauges until I got my bezel modified with the dual bezel. I am now selling it to anyone who may be interested. Holes are already drilled to ensure proper alignment, and will include 4 new plastic mounting pins. Black in color, brand new condition. $60 shipped anywhere in the US.

Last edited by StopHammertime; 06-25-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM
StopHammertime
Instructor

(Additional Info Parking Space 2)
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 552 Posts

very nice... if I outgrow my pioneer deck, I may consider doing this.
One question -- how do you turn on the nexus? the power is on the side, which looks like it would be covered up by the DD bezel. does the Cyanogenmod includes a "doubletap power" or something?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM
StopHammertime
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMG2
very nice... if I outgrow my pioneer deck, I may consider doing this.
One question -- how do you turn on the nexus? the power is on the side, which looks like it would be covered up by the DD bezel. does the Cyanogenmod includes a "doubletap power" or something?
Ah! Excellent question, and I was just getting ready to modify one of my additional posts with some software/powering info, as that has been a bit of a challenge.

The power and volume buttons are indeed concealed by the bezel, and therefore inaccessible when installed. A friend of mine modifies the power buttons on these to be able to have an external button (under the kick panel, etc. wherever, really). The volume buttons will be inaccessible, but he can modify the Vol-Down button as well to enable external access to recovery. Not the easiest solution, but it IS A SOLUTION!

ElementalX DOES have the ability to DT2W (double tap to wake/knock knock/etc.). However, I will be disabling that, as it's been causing issues with the upper menu slide actions.

For power on/off, I use an app called Tasker, which watches for PowerOn/PowerOff conditions, and applies tasks such as Enable Wifi/Enable Bluetooth, etc. on poweron, and Disable Wifi/Disable Bluetooth, Enable Airplane Mode/etc. on poweroff. There are a few bugs I'm still ironing out, but I almost have it figured out completely.

The elementalX kernel allows for fastcharge mode, which I haven't really seen it charging very quickly, yet. I noticed last night a 8% power drop just sitting. This is without forcing any apps closed, or anything, and with Bluetooth re-enabling itself (another bug I'm working on). Not that terrible, really. The problem is, in the 15 minutes it took me to drive to work, I only got about 4-5% charge BACK. So, needless to say, I have some figuring out to do, but I'll have it squared away any day now.

Last edited by StopHammertime; 06-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StopHammertime
Ah! Excellent question, and I was just getting ready to modify one of my additional posts with some software/powering info, as that has been a bit of a challenge.

The power and volume buttons are indeed concealed by the bezel, and therefore inaccessible when installed. A friend of mine modifies the power buttons on these to be able to have an external button (under the kick panel, etc. wherever, really). The volume buttons will be inaccessible, but he can modify the Vol-Down button as well to enable external access to recovery. Not the easiest solution, but it IS A SOLUTION!

ElementalX DOES have the ability to DT2W (double tap to wake/knock knock/etc.). However, I will be disabling that, as it's been causing issues with the upper menu slide actions.

For power on/off, I use an app called Tasker, which watches for PowerOn/PowerOff conditions, and applies tasks such as Enable Wifi/Enable Bluetooth, etc. on poweron, and Disable Wifi/Disable Bluetooth, Enable Airplane Mode/etc. on poweroff. There are a few bugs I'm still ironing out, but I almost have it figured out completely.

The elementalX kernel allows for fastcharge mode, which I haven't really seen it charging very quickly, yet. I noticed last night a 8% power drop just sitting. This is without forcing any apps closed, or anything, and with Bluetooth re-enabling itself (another bug I'm working on). Not that terrible, really. The problem is, in the 15 minutes it took me to drive to work, I only got about 4-5% charge BACK. So, needless to say, I have some figuring out to do, but I'll have it squared away any day now.
What kind of charger are you using? you can get a 1amp (I think even 1.5 amp) 12volt charger that should fairly quickly.
OR, just keep the charger to an "always on" connection.
The draw from the nexus is pretty small, and will not really impact your battery. And once it's fully charged, it will stop drawing.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM
StopHammertime
Instructor

What kind of charger are you using? you can get a 1amp (I think even 1.5 amp) 12volt charger that should fairly quickly.
OR, just keep the charger to an "always on" connection.
The draw from the nexus is pretty small, and will not really impact your battery. And once it's fully charged, it will stop drawing.
Listed in my parts list:
Amazon Amazon

I'm fairly confident the power is being limited somewhere, not in the software. I'm just not quite sure where yet, though.

I considered doing something similar to what you said, and in tasker adding a failsafe condition to where it will charge up to 95~%, and then not charge again until it reaches >60% or so. That would ensure it's not constantly charging, I would think. But, with the issues we have with power draw on C5's was concerning me with getting into the car with a dead battery one day. I have a brand new battery, but I can't risk it since this is my daily driver. Although, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the power draw issues were related to the Bose system, so I may not have that happening anymore with all that removed now.

Last edited by StopHammertime; 06-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 PM
aTeam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome mod. It's going on the mod list, great job
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very Cool! I am planning on doing something very similar.

Very clean looking install! I like how it turned out.

I'm planning on using a 1/2 DIN Equalizer in my install, it will be able to fit in the dash below the tablet and has volume ****, bass control, etc.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55

I'm planning on using a 1/2 DIN Equalizer in my install, it will be able to fit in the dash below the tablet and has volume ****, bass control, etc.

why not just use the on-screen eq?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:51 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool setup. I was thinking of doing something similar, but believe I'll be going this route instead:

Kenwood ddx8901hd with screen mirroring my phone via MHL cable.
The following users liked this post:
GundamX7X (10-11-2017)
Old 06-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,472 Likes on 14,066 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very cool. Subscribed to this thread.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad someone else is doing this before I do!
Could you send me the widget please?
Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55

I used my Galaxy Note 2 as the clip in stereo head unit.
Another place to put the 1/2 din is on the side of the trans tunnel.
I have a rare old school Kenwood 9042 digital eq and old school Rockford 500a2 and 600a4
amps.

Name:  20130704_124120_zpsb1722c88.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  52.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2099_zps6f366368.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  20130704_124050_zps1aa59d1e.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  20130630_131322_zps6a59c5c3.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  76.3 KB

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 06-26-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

why not just use the on-screen eq?
Tablets and phones don't have separate sub controls.
The 1/2 din eq is quicker to use and you don't need to take your eyes off the road.
Also having a separate sub level and crossover control is much better than fiddling with the screen while driving.
On my Note 2 it's a pain getting to the sound adjust screen and the external eq gives you a lot more you can do.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 06-26-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting mod, thanks for sharing
Old 06-26-2014, 05:44 AM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Awesome! I'm seriously considering this mod. Thanks for posting this.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Corvette Nexus 7 tablet install (Build Thread)

Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,369 Likes on 1,636 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

mindblown right now... expecially when i looked up the cost of the tablet in question... the temptation to pull out my credit card right now is bad... highly considering this route. Awesome job!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Subscribed for later reading!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-26-2014, 10:23 AM
StopHammertime
Instructor

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
Tablets and phones don't have separate sub controls.
The 1/2 din eq is quicker to use and you don't need to take your eyes off the road.
Also having a separate sub level and crossover control is much better than fiddling with the screen while driving.
On my Note 2 it's a pain getting to the sound adjust screen and the external eq gives you a lot more you can do.
Yep, exactly. I do have easy access to the single din behind the passenger seat, still. However, I know where the buttons are for volume and can adjust fairly easily. As for sub control/etc., I don't know anyone that would adjust this while driving. Heh.

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Glad someone else is doing this before I do!
Could you send me the widget please?
Sure thing. Let me get it in a zip file and upload to one of my servers and I'll PM you the link. There will be a readme in there, be sure to read it as there are some notes you'll need to know about it for it to work correctly.

Originally Posted by beboggled
Awesome! I'm seriously considering this mod. Thanks for posting this.
Of course! Good luck with it. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen
mindblown right now... expecially when i looked up the cost of the tablet in question... the temptation to pull out my credit card right now is bad... highly considering this route. Awesome job!
Yeah, the tablet is a lot less than a double din, but the overall cost all said and done was probably as cheap as an entry level double din (if not more), though those don't have the customization like the tablet, no GPS, etc., so it's worth it, considering.

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette Nexus 7 tablet install (Build Thread)