Sponsored by:

ECBM Failures - Should I be worried

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Default ECBM Failures - Should I be worried

All, I just put a down payment on a 2000 convertible. Car is very clean, comes with complete service history including the original window sticker. I have not taken delivery yet as I will be travelling out of the country for the next 2 weeks.

I did not come across the pre 2001 ECBM issue threads until today.

I belong to other forums and sometimes you hear more the bad then the good when it comes to certain models and years.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. I am going to call the guy I bought the car from ( a specialty vette dealer with a very good rep) and ask him to check the code history.

My question, does anyone know what the failure rates are? It does have traction control.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

You will get lots of different responses to this one. I've got a 98 with 110,000 on it. No problem at all. My personal opinion is to not worry about it, but I'm sure others will disagree. These are very reliable cars, meant to be driven and enjoyed without much in the way of major issues. Zuti
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check codes and make SURE the ABS/TC light is off if you do buy it. I personally would not buy one pre 01' but that's me (and I have an 01' already).
Better yet, it you can get it out in a parking lot on a wet day so you can engage the ABS on a hard brake to make sure it works before you buy.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never hear about the good ones. I would bet there are more without trouble than with.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

According to how the dealer has described the options in the car the option package is JL4 ( Active) but underneath it he describes it as Traction Control.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Is there a way to upgrade the EBCM to a later year?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Even if your EBCM fails it will not affect normal braking. I don't care if I have TC, AH, or ABS. I grew up with high performance cars and don't need the electronics to stay in control. The C5 is my only Toy Box car with electronics and certainly not the most high performance one I have.

I believe in 5 to 10 years you will see a company who can totally rebuild them or produce new ones. In the car hobby there has always been a delay factor in ramping up for parts supply.

The Soviets reverse engineered a B-29 in several years and had to figure out some of the technology they had never seen and that was in the 40's.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

OK, got it thanks. This is a tough decision now. Like anything could be a crap shoot similar to the magnetic ride in the 50th anniv.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by peteinpa
OK, got it thanks. This is a tough decision now. Like anything could be a crap shoot similar to the magnetic ride in the 50th anniv.
If it's a good price and you like the car and have done your research, if this is the only issue, get it and enjoy it. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision. Zuti
Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,679 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have a '98 and have zero problems with the EBCM. My car is not overly optioned so I think that might be a good thing sometimes. The only thing I have is the ABS and traction control. No active handeling. I try not to let the "what if's" in the world bother me to much. I have almost 90K on my car. If your gut tells you about this purchase then by all means, get it and enjoy it. Your first instict is usually your best decision.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyavette
You never hear about the good ones. I would bet there are more without trouble than with.
Almost 100k miles on my 2000 coupe with no problems. TC/AH, ABS, and Comp mode all work perfectly. I get plenty of practice and confirmation of working condition when in the rain with my NT555 rear tires.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM
tazor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt worry about it. If it looks clean and been well maintained and not abused get it. The facts are these cars have a ton of electrical parts, modules, fuses, sensors etc, and so does all the new fiats so dont sweat it.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Thanks folks, I appreciate all the responses. I am going to move forward with the purchase. I will post some pics when I take delivery. I will be picking the car up on 7/8, will be travelling out of the country for the next 2 weeks on a family vacation. I have something to look forward to on my return.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
snuggy
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by peteinpa
Thanks folks, I appreciate all the responses. I am going to move forward with the purchase. I will post some pics when I take delivery. I will be picking the car up on 7/8, will be travelling out of the country for the next 2 weeks on a family vacation. I have something to look forward to on my return.
I bought same model as yours last year and have 49Km(30k miles) for you reluctant to change to Metric Americans (lol), and have no issues> everything works as it should. curious what colour combo did you get?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Navy Blue Metallic/Oak Interior.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:26 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

I just realized it is the same color as yours Snuggy. What color is your interior?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 PM
snuggy
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Incredible! Same as mine. Be prepared for all the comments you will get on this colour. Congrats! I do wish mine had the performance axle though, its the only thing that would improve this car for me. mine is light oak as well with matching top. It looks fantastic!

Get notified of new replies

To ECBM Failures - Should I be worried

Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

I have a 99 with 140,000 miles pretty loaded with options. Had I known about the ebcm and the swps, I wouldn't have bought it. My car had some grounding issues when I bought it but didn't show up for about a week after purchase. I know the PO knew about the problems, bit didn't tell me. I did get everything fixed with help of this forum. My car is a good one, but I wouldn't buy another pre 01 again. Make sure there are NO codes before you give the final payment.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 92GA
I have a 99 with 140,000 miles pretty loaded with options. Had I known about the ebcm and the swps, I wouldn't have bought it. My car had some grounding issues when I bought it but didn't show up for about a week after purchase. I know the PO knew about the problems, bit didn't tell me. I did get everything fixed with help of this forum. My car is a good one, but I wouldn't buy another pre 01 again. Make sure there are NO codes before you give the final payment.
Thanks 92GA, that was my plan. I am going to go through the car with a fine tooth comb before final purchase.

I am buying from a Vette specialty dealer, he has a great BBB rating and many positive comments. This is his living so I am hoping he is straight up and a stand up guy. He seems that way so far.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snuggy
Incredible! Same as mine. Be prepared for all the comments you will get on this colour. Congrats! I do wish mine had the performance axle though, its the only thing that would improve this car for me. mine is light oak as well with matching top. It looks fantastic!
Same top as well. The color is what really drew me in. I was also looking at a black with red int. But when I went to see it, it reminded me of my DD which is also black and a PIA to keep clean, I am OCD about my cars.

Quick Reply: ECBM Failures - Should I be worried