Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette won't start no click or crank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vette won't start no click or crank?

ok so bit of an issue here...my vette won't start now before anyone starts throwing really technical stuff at me I just want you to know I would not consider myself very mechanically inclined...brakes rotors oil changes sure but electrical and replacing starters I usually rely on friends or local auto shops.

Now on to the problem last night I drove home shut off the car no issues. Today me and my fiance went to go into town and the vette would not start. It is getting power and reading battery volts at 11.5 11.6 sitting there in the key on position and everything powers up right away fine...

driving the volts normally hang around 13.5 so at first I figured the battery may not have enough juice so I tried jumping and charging and no luck.

I'm pulling the battery out and taking it to the local autozone and am going to have it checked etc I have no idea how old it is but it's a AC Delco battery. I couldn't see a date but I don't know where to look. The car only has 35,000 miles now so I'm not sure if it's a starter or what but there is no crank the only clicking I hear is the theft relay clicking in the passenger footwell.

by the way it's an automatic not sure if that matters

any suggestions?

p.s. I also tried both sets of keys I saw something about possibly the resistors on the keys could be worn down, not the issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

What does the security light on the dash do when you turn the key on? Out??? Blinking???? ON solid???

Pull the codes and post ALL of them including the H or C or HC that follow each 5 character code:

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

OR

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviRjIsy9G4">YouTube Link</a>

Battery voltage sounds low for key on before you crank the engine. Mine reads 12.4.
No security message when in on position

Only code besides tire pressure sensor is p 1571 h

Also at autozone right now and they said the battey is good

Last edited by John Madeja; 06-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Notninja
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to offend you but make sure the shift is in park or neutral if an automatic. I started freaking out for about 2 minuets yesterday somehow left it in drive.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by Notninja
I don't want to offend you but make sure the shift is in park or neutral if an automatic. I started freaking out for about 2 minuets yesterday somehow left it in drive.
Haha it was in park trust me i already checked that
Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7

If the battery has an internal short (due to sulphation) you cannot jump or start it. It may have a surface charge sufficient to illuminate lamps but not to crank the engine.

Another possibility is the starter solenoid is going bad. Try wacking the solenoid with a broom handle while someone tries cranking the car.

Yet another possibility is the park/neutral switch is preventing cranking the engine. Try moving the shifter lever in park or move it to neutral.
Where exactly is the starter located to wack it lol
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this should locate it
Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 PM
John Madeja
Racer

UPDATE

so I currently have the vette at the auto shop had it towed by AAA via flatbed...

the shop is putting on the new starter and since autozone gave me the wrong one at first we had to drive to go get a different one so it won't be done till tomorrow morning. However the old starter the mechanic hooked up to a battery charger and set it at 200 amps it didn't seem like it wanted to start at first when he messed with it with a screwdriver but after a second or two it fired up, I think and so does he that the solenoid was stuck and we decided to just put in the new starter and see how the car runs tomorrow.

So if everything works out thats great but what should I do with my old starter are there solenoid rebuild kits or new solenoids?

Get notified of new replies

To Vette won't start no click or crank?

Quick Reply: Vette won't start no click or crank?