Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you guys educate me please on xpipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

Default can you guys educate me please on xpipes?

whats the main advantage of an x pipe? when my exhaust was off I gutted the cats and it sounds a whole lot better, poppy and just great. but looking at the overall, other than the catalyst chambers, whats the real difference?

also, whats the advantages/differences of gutted factory cats over off road xpipe?

because right now everyone says it sounds amazing but I need knowledge from my corvette guys. thanks everyone!!!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

First things first, we need to clear up your thoughts of the cats from the H-pipe. Yes they are connected, but when you replace the H-pipe with an X-pipe, the cats don't come with it. You could almost consider the exhaust as 4 separate components: Headers---> Cats---> X-pipe---> Axle Back.

If you're comparing gutted catalytic converters to off-road straight pipes in their place. Probably not much difference.

If you're asking about an H-pipe versus and X-pipe, then the sound is only a side attribute that comes with the territory, not the main reason you replace it. The biggest difference I am aware of is the better flow of exhaust gases. Rather than hitting the "H" and sort of impeding the flow, the "X" allows a more natural flow that helps expel the gases and smooth out the exhaust for less back pressure.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by imgn tht
If you're asking about an H-pipe versus and X-pipe, then the sound is only a side attribute that comes with the territory, not the main reason you replace it. The biggest difference I am aware of is the better flow of exhaust gases. Rather than hitting the "H" and sort of impeding the flow, the "X" allows a more natural flow that helps expel the gases and smooth out the exhaust for less back pressure.
That is my understanding too. And if you have drone or popping on your aftermarket catback system, a good X-pipe can help reduce those symptoms. Sure worked well on mu '00 when I installed a set of B&B Route 66 catbacks.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:39 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That is my understanding too. And if you have drone or popping on your aftermarket catback system, a good X-pipe can help reduce those symptoms. Sure worked well on mu '00 when I installed a set of B&B Route 66 catbacks.
I think he likes it "poppy".
Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 AM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

You can still run a x pipe and cats . My x got rid of the exhaust ticking
Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Hombre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The purpose, the real purpose of an X pipe or an H pipe is the same. They are there to even out the pulses created in the exhaust in any V8 configured engine. In the smoothing out of these pulses due to some science there is much less back pressure, back pressure is a power killer up to a certain point. There is not a lot of difference in the two-H or X pipe. However due to the way they work the H pipe is better at lower RPM up through the mid-range, at the higher RPM's is where the x pipe really goes to work and is the better choice in that RPM range. In the real world the difference is so small as not to matter a lot and either one is a big plus. The sounds difference between the two--and they do sound different-- is just a side not to the reason to run one or the other.

RS
Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM
c4gone
Drifting

well I personally do like the popping sound, so from what im reading an x pipe will lessen the pop? if the lessened pop comes with better performance then ill buy one but is that the case?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Corsa Extreme system with Xpipe. I have my stock cats (not gutted) and other than that engine is stock. Mine definitely has a poppy/gargle sound to it when I downshift.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. If I'm running fast in 3rd and let off to slow down I get some popping also
Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 PM
c4gone
Drifting

i personally like the popping and the billy boat bullets make it sound scary.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM
always1961
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question: If you gut the cats, won't that cause problems with a smog check?
I know out here on the Left Coast they are pretty strick

Last edited by always1961; 06-17-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The purpose, the real purpose of an X pipe or an H pipe is the same. They are there to even out the pulses created in the exhaust in any V8 configured engine. In the smoothing out of these pulses due to some science there is much less back pressure, back pressure is a power killer up to a certain point. There is not a lot of difference in the two-H or X pipe. However due to the way they work the H pipe is better at lower RPM up through the mid-range, at the higher RPM's is where the x pipe really goes to work and is the better choice in that RPM range. In the real world the difference is so small as not to matter a lot and either one is a big plus. The sounds difference between the two--and they do sound different-- is just a side not to the reason to run one or the other.

RS
One additional plus of a well designed X-pipe is that it creates better scavenging effect. You can do a simple test with compressed air. Place the X-pipe on a table. Lay a tissue next to one end of the inlet and blow compressed air into the other. You will see the tissue will get sucked in and blown out the other end. It is a venturi affect like the one air paint sprayer uses. The effect is greater at higher air velocity hence it works better at higher rpm.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Xpipe is supposed to promote better scavenging and be more efficent as stated above.. the gains are very minimal in power/tq.. it does altho smooth the exhaust sound and make it less "motorboaty" as stated above as well.. most guys do it for the sound or because it comes with the headers. adding it in for power alone will not gain you much (1-3hp) which is not noticeable but will change the sound especially if you have aftermarket exhaust. the 505HP C6Z06 has a H and the C6ZR1 has a X.. for sound.

Get notified of new replies

To can you guys educate me please on xpipes?

Quick Reply: can you guys educate me please on xpipes?