C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If your tinting the windows for the "look", go for it.
If your trying to reduce the heat from the sun, I suggest you spend the money on the "clear" thermal material.
My service truck is no longer an oven during the summer months!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:05 PM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car seems to be 20% or so on the sides and 5% on the rear. My truck is 5% all the way around. I'm in northwest Florida and have had very dark windows on every vehicle I have owned for the last 25 years and have never been bothered about it here in FL. I was pulled over twice in Golden Meadow Louisiana while driving to work but wasn't ticketed because I was out of state. Was just told one time not to come through "his" town with that dark of tint again. By the way his meter said 3% on my side windows.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking about doing all 4 windows in the clear stuff, probably 3M CR70. I figure the windshield will make the biggest difference in heat rejection so skipping it would be silly.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:49 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I'm thinking about doing all 4 windows in the clear stuff, probably 3M CR70. I figure the windshield will make the biggest difference in heat rejection so skipping it would be silly.
I've thought about doing the windshield in the clear stuff, or maybe very slight (70-90%) tint for that reason
Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chipscvettec5
My suggestion....retire in a state that satisfies all your requirements....I can't wait to get to Florida....for example, no personal property tax on cars, no requirement for front plate, most tint %'s are ok, no state inspection, no emission test.....I could go on....and I won't be taking my C5 out of state....the other states can kiss my a@@.
I agree with this

My wife is going to be moving to Cali shortly while I'll still be living in AZ... I will be keeping all our vehicles registered in AZ for this reason. Arizona laws are MUCH more enthusiast-friendly than CA laws.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I will be keeping all our vehicles registered in AZ for this reason.
kali is not out of state (OOS) plate friendly. The fun police look for vehicles that are hangin around and OOS. In the big cities you can hide with the masses. They'll catch up with you sooner or later, then the fines begin.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

State law in Illinois is 35%. I have 15% on the side windows and back hatch. I have never been pulled over for it and I've had it this way for 5 years.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm illegal on both side windows with no tint on the rear. When I get stopped I roll down both windows and that's it..... so far I've gotten away with it.

In Texas the dps will hold your license up to the inside of the window. If they can read it, you're OK. If they can't, you get a ticket.

California. I once got caught speeding outside of Calabasas. 85 in a 55. Expecting a ticket I was asked to follow him. As we pulled off another fell in behind me. We went straight to court. After pleading my case I was convicted, fined, and then ordered into custody if I couldn't pay. They took visa
Old 06-19-2014, 04:23 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
kali is not out of state (OOS) plate friendly. The fun police look for vehicles that are hangin around and OOS. In the big cities you can hide with the masses. They'll catch up with you sooner or later, then the fines begin.
I live in Arizona; they can't make me register a car there.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 AM
joewom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. It they can ticket you if your tint is lower then they allow regardless of were it's registered. I got my tint ticket in ga because I was registered in SC were it's 27% and GA is 32%. They said the law doesn't just all to in state registered vehicles but all traveling thru the state also.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:20 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in Colorado do you expect to get away with smoking pot in Texas or Florida or any other state where it's not legal?

As much as I would like to tint all of the windows in all of my cars I have to say that I hate it when I get to an intersection or a place in the road at the same time as someone driving a car that is fully tinted and you need that eye contact that many of us seem to take for granted. They could be waving you on but you will never know and they seem to forget that they can't be seen. It is illegal here in California but you see cars every day that are tinted. The police departments are undermanned here and they just don't have time to stop someone for tinted windows. If you are getting stopped for some other more serious reason then you can expect to get a ticket for the window tint. CHP may be stopping for window tint but most P.D.'s don't have time. Come to think of it, my son's life long friend is a CHP officer and he says he rarely stops for speed anymore because he spends most of his time getting DUI's off the road.

I sure like the way it looks though.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:26 PM
steelman63
Advanced

Texas 25% have not checked mine they are pretty dark mines a vert whenever I get it inspected I have the top and widows down.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Hombre
Instructor

If she (your wife) lives in Ca. and she is in possession of the car. They can and will tell you it has to be registered there. Surely you don't think you are the first guy to have thought of this. Do You?

RS
Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 PM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by Hombre
If she (your wife) lives in Ca. and she is in possession of the car. They can and will tell you it has to be registered there. Surely you don't think you are the first guy to have thought of this. Do You?

RS
You register in the state you spend most your time in. I know people live in jersey for the summer and Florida for the summer. Most time is spent in NJ and that is were it's registered. But it is meaningless. Tint laws are enforced by state regardless of were registered!! It doesn't get more simplistic then that.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 AM
Hombre
Instructor

Originally Posted by joewom
You register in the state you spend most your time in. I know people live in jersey for the summer and Florida for the summer. Most time is spent in NJ and that is were it's registered. But it is meaningless. Tint laws are enforced by state regardless of were registered!! It doesn't get more simplistic then that.
Joe I guess I don't understand the point of your comment. The man said and I quote:
"My wife is going to be moving to Cali shortly while I'll still be living in AZ..."

That being the case and his wife who now will have a residence in CA. That car will have to be registered in CA. Trust me I have been there and done that. CA is very strict and unbending when it comes to AUTO registration. There SMOG laws alone are tough to mess around with. Arizona also has SMOG checks but they are not nearly as strict as CA are. That is another reason CA will want to extract there pound of flesh. All of this and just to cheat the Tint Laws? It just is not going to happen, at least not in California.

RS
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by Hombre
Joe I guess I don't understand the point of your comment. The man said and I quote:
"My wife is going to be moving to Cali shortly while I'll still be living in AZ..."

That being the case and his wife who now will have a residence in CA. That car will have to be registered in CA. Trust me I have been there and done that. CA is very strict and unbending when it comes to AUTO registration. There SMOG laws alone are tough to mess around with. Arizona also has SMOG checks but they are not nearly as strict as CA are. That is another reason CA will want to extract there pound of flesh. All of this and just to cheat the Tint Laws? It just is not going to happen, at least not in California.

RS
Oh your right if she is the vehicle owner. You have like 45 days or more fines come. But I was going with he was the owner and still had a residence in Arizona. I could have misread .
Old 06-21-2014, 12:53 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Oh your right if she is the vehicle owner. You have like 45 days or more fines come. But I was going with he was the owner and still had a residence in Arizona. I could have misread .
She is the registered owner currently, but this is not difficult to remedy. If we need a vehicle to register in Cali, I have an untouched one that would fit the bill just fine.

I don't know how people get around it, anyway. I saw a Tesla Model S in a parking lot in San Diego with front windows so dark you couldn't even see the driver's headrest through them (my wife's are the legal limit for AZ)

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint

Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by onlyavette
If you live in Colorado do you expect to get away with smoking pot in Texas or Florida or any other state where it's not legal?
Apples and oranges

We are talking about vehicle equipment regulations here. CA can't enforce its emissions regulations on out-of-state vehicles, it can't mandate that visitors license their cars or get a driver's license in the state, yet somehow they get a pass on window tint. It is a money-making scheme and nothing more.

Honestly, there is no reason tint shouldn't be allowed in every state. As long as it allows enough visibility of the driver to allow others to see what he is doing with his hands, it is not a safety hazard to anybody else on the road. Rather than playing games with tint, CA should just legalize 50% or whatever they deem reasonable. They won't, though, because they make money off of their silly rules, just like they won't get rid of the visual emissions inspection in favor of a purely tailpipe-based pass/fail system. They would lose the revenue from all of the retests based on visual failures.

I truly despise CA laws
Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Hombre
Instructor

RJW, Man I agree with you about CA laws, I was lucky though and got out of that place and its silly politics.

You are correct they cannot make a visitor to there state have a CA license or register there car there. So the question ends up coming down to when are you considered a resident? I am real lucky and all I have to do is bring a question to my wife and she will do all of the research for me, so here is the deal and it comes after two days of her looking into this.

You are considered a resident when any of the following occur: Voting in a State Election, paying resident tuition, filing for a home owners tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a none resident. So on its face that looks simple enough to be OK. However there are a couple of more things, if you own or rent a home or apartment and spend longer than 6 months and 1 day there that is a grey area and will be determined by the state on a case by case basis ( it's CA man guess which way that goes). If you apply for auto insurance in CA you can be considered a resident or at least the car can. Remember an Arizona based Insurance co. cannot issue you a policy for operating your car in CA, except for short periods of time like a vacation etc.

The tint laws are in effect as a way to aid Police Dept. They seem silly to me but then I don't have to go walking up to a car at 3:00 AM in the morning and not being able to see what is going on in that car.

This is a bag of worms, if you do try and do this your wife will in time get stopped and will be given a ticket and that will most likely happen more than once. Best thing is just conform to that law and be done with it.

RS
Old 06-21-2014, 11:47 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

It's like me getting a ticket for no front license plate when I visit in a state that requires one.
I would have to question the legality of that citation. If you are a resident of a state (and your vehicle is registering in said state) that requires and issues only one license plate (for the rear), how can a state you drive through that requires two plates be displayed on vehicles registered in that state issue you a citation for having only one plate? Your home state didn't issue you two plates, so there's no way you can display two plates. For example, OK requires and issues only one plate, but TX requires and issues two plates. So a TX cop issues a citation for having only one plate to someone visiting TX from OK? There's no way that could legally stand a challenge in court. States grant reciprocity related to motor vehicle laws when it comes to issues like this.

Or maybe TX just doesn't want anyone from OK in their state? But I kind of doubt it though. We Texans are friendly with our neighbors on the other side of the Red River. Except on the weekend when UT and OU play each other.

Quick Reply: Window Tint