Originally Posted by dannyman
Picture of your wife please!

Dannyman
http://www.morganfairchild.com/perfectgamepremiere.jpg
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 496 Posts

I usually come to a full stop, but around here I worry more about being rear ended when I stop. It seems like almost no one comes to a stop and most barely slow down.

Although there is no real excuse for the OP not stopping completely, it does seem like it would be better to target the ones who blatantly run them rather than the ones who basically comply with the intent of stopping to check traffic even if only almost stopped.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:21 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago my father went to court to fight a speeding ticket. His defense was, "everyone else was speeding and I was just keeping up with traffic".

The judge said, "so if everyone else drove off the end of a bridge into the water, you would follow them? That will be $100".

Next time, come to a complete stop.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What good would it do to go to court. It's a he said she said deal. You'd lose and have to pay court cost on top of the fine.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM
TX Torch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I don't understand the $335 though. Red light cameras nail you for $75
Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Vettecruzer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Friend of mine got pulled over on his Harley in Texas and asked the cop the same question why did you pull me over and not the cars flying by me. Cop told him it is like duck hunting I turn on the lights and who ever pulls over gets the ticket.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Stainsy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the other car a 'vette? Probably not. Lets face it, they attract way more attention from the police. I just bought mine, and trust me, I have noticed how much they notice me now.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:00 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The signs all say STOP. And the cop could only stop one vehicle at a time. You went through second so you were the closest so you get the citation.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hard to stop 2 cars at once when watching stop signs. you grab the closest car to you. the law requires a "complete cessation of movement" to meet the requirements for stopping. also, it could have created more danger by the officer trying to stop you both than just getting you. you can't get them all. if we're being honest, if the tables were turned you'd be glad you were that lead car and got away with it =)

im a little more amazed that a stupid stop sign ticket cost 300+ bucks. to be honest, i don't sit and watch stop signs. it's gay. i prefer felony arrests over tickets any day
Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

This story reminded me of a joke I heard years ago.

Guy pulls up to a stop sign and doesn't completely stop, just slows down.
Cop pulls him over for failure to stop.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Driver: No
Cop: You didn't stop at the stop sign.
Driver: I slowed down, what's the difference?
Cop: Sir, please step out of the vehicle. **Driver proceeds to exit his vehicle.
Cop pulls out his nightstick and proceeds to hit the driver. To which the officer says..."now do you want me to stop or just slow down?"
Old 06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

sorry for the late response. yes it sucks and that just escalated to last night. so I get home and im installing my new c6z shifter. I take the car out to drive and adjust it alittle right? so im driving all alone on the road with no one behind me, boom the cop car pulls out of the store, gets behind me and lights them up. I pull over into the college parking lot and he asks me why im driving slow. I tell him its because im feeling my new shifter out ( I let him see that the interior of the car is torn apart and the tools right there.)
so as if he didn't hear me he asks me again. so I stare at him and repeat myself which gets me to stand outside the car and wait for him. I guess there is something in their computer about my ticket because he asked if I had gotten a ticket. I said yes which then he asked what I was doing out at 10 pm at night. I at that point told him that I have nothing more to say and if I am being detained. he kept asking me and I told him that I am using my right to remain silent and if he doesn't have anything to charge me with then to let me go. he gave me a warning for driving too slow. what the **** is up with that????????????????

I almost don't even want to drive the car anymore.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There are cops that flat out lie to give out tickets.In one case I offered to go to court to testify that the officer was lying and not only did the judge dismiss the ticket but told the cop that that she was concerned by his actions.On another citation that I received for supposebly passing a 18 wheeler illegally when in fact the truck was pulled off the road and parked.The judge threw this one out and chewed the LEOs a$$ out for writing that phony citation and wasting the courts and my time.
Fred
Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Most of the police officers I encountered like the Vette. They usually even grant me latitude when I am in the Vette.

All except State Troopers, that is.

When you experience a traffic stop, it is more about YOUR ATTITUDE what the outcome will be. Of course if you are doing 15-25 over, expect a ticket and be grateful if it is anything less. Same with stop signs.

I know when I was a police officer working traffic, I had in mind whether it was a ticket or a warning before I ever got out of my patrol car. Many people however, would talk themselves into a ticket when they could have had a warning instead! Reverse was also true. Sometimes I had determined ticket when the driver was so honest and respectful, I would give them a warning when they deserved the ticket. More the former than the latter though.

Police officers are like society in general. Some good ones with great attitudes and some who are ****** on the job as well as off. Cannot judge one as representing them all. I will say however, most are pretty cool guys and gals and once they grow out of the rookie stage, are pretty lenient overall. Just remember however, these guys and gals are used to seeing the worst society has to offer, so even though they may be great guys and gals, when you see dead bodies, babies in trash cans, worked rape and child molestation cases, robberies, and the like, it can kind of affect your normal disposition.

There was a two week period when I was working the worst area of the county. In this two week period, I got to see three people who had been stabbed to death, one man run over his wife (killing her and her blood flowing more 1/4 mile), one newborn discarded in a trash can, two child molestation cases, two robberies, six burglaries, five wife beating cases, and three aggravated assaults, one armed robbery, multiple fatal accidents, and had three real knock down drag out fights during arrest. All this occurred within a two week period. Needless to say, I was not in the best frame of mind. Actually went on a two day drunk to try and get those images out of my mind.

Remember this when dealing with your local police. They are subject to the worst society has to offer. Being courteous, respectful, and not making excuses will go a long way to restore their faith in humanity and they deserve our respect.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 06-14-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:44 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Perhaps he pulled you over because you were in a Vette?

Cops OFTEN target higher end or sports cars, just because.
Not just because. Traffic enforcement is only done for revenue. They think you have a job and your time is valuable. They think you will just pay it. That'a all they want, Just the money.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Vinny 2001
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
What's with this 5 seconds stuff? I've never seen "complete stop" come with a mandatory length of time.
In NJ the law is you must stop for at least 3 seconds before proceeding at either a stop sign or right on red. My sister got a ticket for running a stop sign and this is what she was told. She just kinda rolled on through it...
Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM
c4gone
Drifting

the one thing that I argue no matter what, even if im wrong I always argue it. its this...
happened many many years ago but the cop pulled me over for not using my blinker. I told him I was in the turning lane turning left and its a turn only lane. he said that I needed my blinker. I asked him if its a turn only lane and he said yes which in turn I told him that I didn't need my blinker to tell everyone im turning left when its a left turn only lane. I never got a ticket but till this day ill argue that concept. my family hates that I rarely use my blinker in a turn only lane. I never grasped that concept...
btw, I wasn't in the corvette when he pulled me over for that one
Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 AM
c4gone
Drifting

driving today to work I was so paranoid. made sure to completely stop!!!

Get notified of new replies

To dont run a stop sign....

Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One I stopped a guy for a stop sign violation. When he got out I asked him why he didn't stop for the sign. He said "well I slowed down". I proceeded to take out my night stick and began wacking him on the shin. I said "Now do you want me to stop or do you want me to slow down?" (An old cop's analogy)
Stop for the sign or risk getting a ticket. It is pretty simple.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

How much time does it take from our busy lives to stop our cars at a stop sign? If you roll a stop sign why don't you roll a red light? Or do you? As for using a turn signal in a turn only lane, if all I have to do is flip a switch with my finger to avoid standing on the side of the road arguing with a cop then it's a flip every time. Who cares what the other guy did or is doing. Get in the habit and it soon becomes automatic behavior. If you believe driving a Corvette attracts attention as many here have attested to, keep that in mind because LEOs are people too and they might just notice you before that Civic with the texting, no seat belt wearing driver, who whizzed past in front of you. Now take that warning for going too slow and show it to the cop who stops you for speeding. "Just trying to comply with this warning officer".
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Mkay........

Originally Posted by TwinTurboZ51
One I stopped a guy for a stop sign violation. When he got out I asked him why he didn't stop for the sign. He said "well I slowed down". I proceeded to take out my night stick and began wacking him on the shin. I said "Now do you want me to stop or do you want me to slow down?" (An old cop's analogy)
Stop for the sign or risk getting a ticket. It is pretty simple.
Post #30..........

Quick Reply: dont run a stop sign....