Sponsored by:

Got pulled over for the first time last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got pulled over for the first time last night

So it's around midnight, and I make a quick trip to Wal-Mart to pick up some creamer and sugar. My friend was riding with me and this was his first time in the car, so I gave it some juice. I punched it for a bit then threw her in neutral and coasted towards the Air Base. As I'm going around the zig zag road before the gate, I see the red and blue lights.

I wasn't surprised, it was about time I had gotten caught so I was fully ready to get my ticket...then I hear over the speaker "Put your hands outside the vehicle!" ...strange, so I did so.....then I see 3 more cop cars pull up....strange... I'm then told to get out of the vehicle with my hands behind my head and drop down to my knees. I am then handcuffed and put into the back of the cop car, I am told I am under arrest for fleeing from the police...WHAT!?!

The officer says he had me at approximately 120mph...which I wouldn't argue with, but how can I flee from the police if I don't see your lights. IF I was going that fast, there's no way he could get close enough to me for me to see them!! They then proceed to trash threw my vehicle, and I ask if they're allowed to do that without consent..he grows irritated

This is my very FIRST offense, we pull up to the police station and he turns off his camera.. he takes me out of the vehicle and tells me "Okay smart ***, you think I don't know how to do my job? I arrested you so I can search what I want, that means your phone." I decline to give him my password, in which he attempts 5 times which my phone takes a picture to my email for theft purposes.

ANYWAYS, I am looking at a felony charge of of V C Section 2800.2 Evading a Peace Officer Reckless Driving

I make no excuse for speeding, but a damn felony!?!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 PM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you posting this from jail? Dude, you are so screwed.
Now, fees up, you can be honest with us, how fast?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Originally Posted by kybilt
Are you posting this from jail? Dude, you are so screwed.
Now, fees up, you can be honest with us, how fast?
Negative I'm on bail. I honestly have no clue, I'm just confused because if I was going that fast he wouldn't be able to catch up; so no way I was evading him. I have no reason to
Old 06-10-2014, 07:25 PM
joewom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man what state? And get a lawyer!!! They can get the video of the stop and all. Might be allot but will save you big money as your insurance will skyrocket for next five years. Not to mention possible jail time!!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Originally Posted by joewom
Man what state? And get a lawyer!!! They can get the video of the stop and all. Might be allot but will save you big money as your insurance will skyrocket for next five years. Not to mention possible jail time!!
California, I'm trying. Right now I'm broke because of bail and getting my car out of the impound lot. This Cop even tried to charge my passenger on state charges!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM
joewom
Racer

Originally Posted by paloalto00
California, I'm trying. Right now I'm broke because of bail and getting my car out of the impound lot. This Cop even tried to charge my passenger on state charges!
Hate to hear sh&t like this but I would bet with a lawyer they drop it to something else. But reckless driving in itself is a felony in allot of states. Lawyer needs to get it to careless.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:41 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to need a good lawyer
Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

If it was a misdemeanor I would not be too worried, But seeing it is a felony can really screw your future in a lot of ways, Like no ccw and other things. You better get a lawyer for sure, The last thing I would want on my record is a felony. Not good.
Mr.Bill
Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Kimera
Racer

Yep, lawyer up friend. It'll be easy to slap that charge on you. A lawyer hopefully can get it from a felony to a lesser charge. Good luck. I would hate to be in that situation. I had a heart attack when I got nabbed going 72 in a 45. They threw the book at me. No lawyer but went out sold my c6 and I think thats all that saved me. He reduced to impeding dropped wreckless and speeding
Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
If it was a misdemeanor I would not be too worried, But seeing it is a felony can really screw your future in a lot of ways, Like no ccw and other things. You better get a lawyer for sure, The last thing I would want on my record is a felony. Not good.
Mr.Bill

WISE WORDS!!! Listen to this man!!!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyteflows
WISE WORDS!!! Listen to this man!!!
X2
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05, '14, '15

Lawyer up and fight it, IF the cop hit his lights when you were "speeding" his camera would start to record, so he would have to submit that to evidence.

Sucky situation, seems like a police officer picking on you, younger guy in a corvette.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I am looking at a felony charge of of V C Section 2800.2 Evading a Peace Officer Reckless Driving
Kali has some crazy penalty's for speeding.
They like to make examples of speeders when things get slow.
Might consider selling the car or get it off base.
Used to be the base CO's would protect their men. Cause local cops would make it tough on the military guys when off base.
Nowadays they'd rather throw you back. Then after you've been f'k'd by the locals they double down on your Azz with more punishments.
Get a lawyer for sure. And a transfer.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,390 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Wishing you the best, but damn, 120 mph.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by kasper-pA-
Lawyer up and fight it, IF the cop hit his lights when you were "speeding" his camera would start to record, so he would have to submit that to evidence.

Sucky situation, seems like a police officer picking on you, younger guy in a corvette.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

120 mph? They weren't picking on him. He is lucky he got his car back.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I don't know about current CA motor vehicle laws but when I lived in VA if you were apprehended for 100 or 100 plus it was considered speeding but could rise to reckless endangerment and possibly at the felony level. Regardless of misdemeanor or felony you were arrested and charged as such and your vehicle was impounded.

As far as the felony "hot stop" when you pulled over after seeing the patrol car's lights it seems a bit much on the surface but there may be a directive that the officer is required to follow in such a situation.

You need a lawyer.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Originally Posted by JR-01
120 mph? They weren't picking on him. He is lucky he got his car back.
I was by no means fighting that I was speeding, although I feel that 120 was not accurate. What is turning this into a felony is that I was "evading." They basically said I was running, which makes no sense for someone with not even a damn parking ticket in their life

Get notified of new replies

To Got pulled over for the first time last night

Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Your lawyer will rip that charge to shreds.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM
paloalto00
Racer

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
I don't know about current CA motor vehicle laws but when I lived in VA if you were apprehended for 100 or 100 plus it was considered speeding but could rise to reckless endangerment and possibly at the felony level. Regardless of misdemeanor or felony you were arrested and charged as such and your vehicle was impounded.

As far as the felony "hot stop" when you pulled over after seeing the patrol car's lights it seems a bit much on the surface but there may be a directive that the officer is required to follow in such a situation.

You need a lawyer.
Upon reading the notes the speed seems like the smaller issue, the Officer seems to really harp on when I stopped.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I was by no means fighting that I was speeding, although I feel that 120 was not accurate. What is turning this into a felony is that I was "evading." They basically said I was running, which makes no sense for someone with not even a damn parking ticket in their life
THAT is the reason you need to get a GOOD lawyer ASAP.You also need to consider selling the car if you can not resist a heavy right foot on the street.Laws have changed over the years.When i was an idiot back in my younger days,we would drive like the streets were a racetrack and the worst you would get ticketed was 35 bucks for speeding or disorderly conduct.It didn't matter if you did a big time burnout in front of the police station or was doing over 120 on the interstate.Like i said,i was an idiot in my younger days.Get a lawyer ASAP.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for the first time last night