C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC throws every code in the book

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
HeyVern
Racer

Location: Grace Valley: A small, peaceful & beautiful valley in the Volunteer State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DIC throws every code in the book

2003 C5. DIC shows every possible problem, Service Vehicle Soon, Service Act. Handling, Service Traction System, Reduced power, Shocks Inoperative, Service Ride Control, plus fuel and oil pressure gauges go to zero (both fluids levels OK) and then go to normal and then back again. Same with engine temp except it pegs at high end.
When I pull the codes up, every major and subgroup have 1-5 codes listed.

The only thing I've done to the car is install new DLR housings (the originals had holes burned on the top) with LED bulbs. Everything was OK except for the hyperflash. Then I installed the hyperflash bypass and everything went to hell.

I guess I only have 1 choice--remove the bypass and see if all goes back to normal. Of course it could have a coincidence, but,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
ourblk96
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeyVern
2003 C5. DIC shows every possible problem, Service Vehicle Soon, Service Act. Handling, Service Traction System, Reduced power, Shocks Inoperative, Service Ride Control, plus fuel and oil pressure gauges go to zero (both fluids levels OK) and then go to normal and then back again. Same with engine temp except it pegs at high end.
When I pull the codes up, every major and subgroup have 1-5 codes listed.

The only thing I've done to the car is install new DLR housings (the originals had holes burned on the top) with LED bulbs. Everything was OK except for the hyperflash. Then I installed the hyperflash bypass and everything went to hell.

I guess I only have 1 choice--remove the bypass and see if all goes back to normal. Of course it could have a coincidence, but,,,,,,,,,,,,
Check your grounding points throughout the car.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 331 Posts

Disconnecting / reconnecting the battery can throw codes but I don't remember ever hearing them causing the dash to go crazy. 8VETTE7 gave you a link to follow. If you pull the hyperflash unit and still have the problem and your passenger floor is dry, you might consider checking the connections that are near the accordians in each door. Bad connections there will make your IP squirrelly too.

To access, open the door and separate the accordian from the chassis side. Pull on the wires going into the chassis and you will find connectors there. Verify the pins are clean and tight. Bill Curlee did a write up on this as well. It took me less than 30 minutes to do both doors and it fixed my issues with warnings and codes.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM
HeyVern
Racer

Location: Grace Valley: A small, peaceful & beautiful valley in the Volunteer State

All great suggestions. But my problem was my Window Valet. I just remembered several years ago having the same massive problem and for some reason took my WV out. Rather than trash it I just put it in the glove box. So here came summer and I have a Vert, So being able to lower all windows as you approach the car makes it easier to unlatch the top. It worked OK until two days a ago. I remembered this problem this morning, pulled the WV and all is back to normal.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the same problem it was the wires in the drivers door. Pulled the accordian tube fish out the bundle of wires from the door and the a pillar, clean all contacts at each connector put back together and you should be ok.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I would certainly remove that to see if the issue goes away, but I suspect the problem will remain or come back..... The following link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-there-is.html

Is what I would be reading..........
It certainly sounds like this is going to be your best course of action - going in reverse of what you installed and identify what is going on!

More than likely a short is happening in your new Hyperflash unit!

Keep us posted on your findings.

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
I had the same problem it was the wires in the drivers door. Pulled the accordian tube fish out the bundle of wires from the door and the a pillar, clean all contacts at each connector put back together and you should be ok.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by vern69
All great suggestions. But my problem was my Window Valet. I just remembered several years ago having the same massive problem and for some reason took my WV out. Rather than trash it I just put it in the glove box. So here came summer and I have a Vert, So being able to lower all windows as you approach the car makes it easier to unlatch the top. It worked OK until two days a ago. I remembered this problem this morning, pulled the WV and all is back to normal.
Thanks for posting your findings. So many people don't close the loop. I learned something new today. I'm glad you found your problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,582 Likes on 14,128 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

OP - please do post up what you ultimately find as the cause of the messages on the DIC.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC throws every code in the book

Quick Reply: DIC throws every code in the book