Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM
SoloSolid
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?

I bought my 04 Brand new out the factory, but now as time goes by, obviously car value diminishes but it pisses me off everytime I see random plebeians driving around in c5s because you can snag them cheap now. It's like owning a vette doesn't mean anything anymore - almost everyone has one nowadays.

It sucks to think that 10-20 years from now, everyone will be rocking used mustangs/corvettes as if they are hot stuff. Do you think maybe GM should stop making vettes for a few years to create a gap? Otherwise think about it, every year the used car market is getting flooded with vettes, and few years down the road you get more random people driving around in corvettes
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

That has been happening since the mid 1950s. for Corvettes and the mid 1960s for Mustangs. I do not think it will be a serious problem.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Old 06-07-2014, 11:59 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I can't see that there is a real problem because of it. All cars as they get older get cheaper and lower end people buy them. Look at Cadillac and Mercedes Benz.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

This is laughable. If you are that unhappy to see other people driving a corvette then go buy a viper or something more exotic and when you need to service that car then you can cry about how expensive that is..lol

Last edited by momo20; 06-07-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

it seems as though your thinking that only elite people can have a corvette. if that's the point then your thinking is wrong. corvettes were made so that everyone can afford them. if your unhappy because a kid owns a used one then go buy a Lamborghini. I was 24 years old with a used corvette, does that mean that your mad at me? I worked and saved for it.
there is always going to be used cars, face it; and those used cars will be cheaper than new cars. its a proven fact. going by your post in guessing that you never buy used? your always willing to pay top dollar for a car? you don't want a bargain huh?
im sorry to come off rude but I fit the profile for the people that your mentioning in your post.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Called supply and demand.

I cannot justify buying a brand new C7 Z51 for 65K. I could buy it financially, but cannot justify that purchase. So will I buy one? Yes, but not for another 5 years when I can get one for 30-35K.

That is the nature of the market. If you have to have it now, you are gonna pay NOW PRICES. If you buy NEW, you pay NEW PRICES.

Know if suxs if you paid 50K plus for your new baby only to see someone else get the same or even better car than you have for half what you originally paid for your baby. But another way to look at it is, you have had her to 10 years and had the pleasure for all of these years, while the others have only had the privilege for a short period of time.

Kind of like the brand new 18-25 year old wife verses the one who has been around and aged a little for 10 years. Nothing like driving and breaking in the new one, but even with some age and mileage can be just as sweet, just a little more settled and common now.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Fact is, you aren't as special as you may think you are, simply because you own/drive a Corvette. I've got a Cadillac too, and every one seems to drive them also, thus, I'm a pretty average guy. Oh well.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by SoloSolid
I bought my 04 Brand new out the factory, but now as time goes by, obviously car value diminishes but it pisses me off everytime I see random plebeians driving around in c5s because you can snag them cheap now. It's like owning a vette doesn't mean anything anymore - almost everyone has one nowadays.

It sucks to think that 10-20 years from now, everyone will be rocking used mustangs/corvettes as if they are hot stuff. Do you think maybe GM should stop making vettes for a few years to create a gap? Otherwise think about it, every year the used car market is getting flooded with vettes, and few years down the road you get more random people driving around in corvettes

Your joking right?

Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

You bought your car new in 04 and you are just joining the site now?? Guess the site should have a board just for the original owners? Really just trying to figure out where you head is.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing that bothers me about anyone in any car is when they've obviously made the safe operation of that vehicle and hence my own safety the least of their priorities.
As they have one working brake light and an under inflated temp spare on the front that is worn down from full time use while resting their cigarette hand on what's left of the broken side mirror housing.
Now those people need a fix it ticket or a bus ticket.
Everyone else that acquired their ride through legal means and puts some effort into maintaining it then more power to them.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my 04 Brand new out the factory, but now as time goes by, obviously car value diminishes but it pisses me off everytime I see random plebeians driving around in c5s because you can snag them cheap now.
Thanks... you just called me a 'random plebeian'...
I work at a grocery store and work hard for my money.

Therefor I will label you a
Have a crappy day
Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So sell your 04 and buy a c7 and look down on all us "used" corvette owners mr snooty pants :

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 06-07-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

...random people driving around in corvettes
The PC term is "predictability-challenged", a group I'm quite proud to be part of.
Burt Reynolds probably said it best: "Do the letters 'FO' mean anything to you?"
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Joe Gilmore
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

GM has already created the answer to your "problem". It's called the C7. I think you should go buy a new one, and make sure you pick it up at the factory. That way, you and your money can feel "special" again, and better than everyone who doesn't have as much as you do.

Unbelievable. What a pathetic and laughable loser you are.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Elizabeth City Vette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry that I didn't have enough money to buy a new one like you did. I was busy serving 22 years in the Navy trying to make ends meet on an enlisted mans salary with a wife and 3 kids. Yeah, I know, my choice. But it was a choice that you should be glad many of us made to help keep this country free. Another I'm special and don't like "common folk" to be in my elite group. We are all thankful to be in what I would call a special car but does not make the person driving it more special. Except maybe you!
To the rest of my Corvette brothers I appreciate the fact that I have saved my entire life and finally achieved my dream after I turned 61 last year and you have welcomed me to the brotherhood. To me it makes it just that much more special and meaningful. Cheers brothers and sisters and remember the wave, even if they look like they might not have as much money as you.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

On a more serious note, the real "used-car problem" car manufacturers need to address is the availability of replacement parts, particularly electronics. If they are unwilling to maintain production capability of mission-critical widgets, the least they could do is release drawings, schematics, and operating parameters into the public domain so an aftermarket vendor can produce them without a bunch of expensive and error-prone reverse engineering.

Get notified of new replies

To how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?

Old 06-07-2014, 12:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Gilmore
GM has already created the answer to your "problem". It's called the C7. I think you should go buy a new one, and make sure you pick it up at the factory. That way, you and your money can feel "special" again, and better than everyone who doesn't have as much as you do.

Unbelievable. What a pathetic and laughable loser you are.
with you.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

OK Guys, lighten up on the OP.

If you were in his shoes, you would know kind of how he felt. We have no idea what sacrifices he may have made to be able to purchase that 04 Vette.

I am sure we have all had the experience paying for something that over some time we could have found for much cheaper than what we paid for the same item. A computer, TV, etc. Kind of suxs!

Last edited by bikeriderga; 06-07-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?