Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloSolid
I bought my 04 Brand new out the factory, but now as time goes by, obviously car value diminishes but it pisses me off everytime I see random plebeians driving around in c5s because you can snag them cheap now. It's like owning a vette doesn't mean anything anymore - almost everyone has one nowadays.

It sucks to think that 10-20 years from now, everyone will be rocking used mustangs/corvettes as if they are hot stuff. Do you think maybe GM should stop making vettes for a few years to create a gap? Otherwise think about it, every year the used car market is getting flooded with vettes, and few years down the road you get more random people driving around in corvettes
Really? You're driving a 10 year old car. Get over yourself.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I think that was my point .
Your point seemed to be that you could swing a new C7. My point was that most people here could.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloSolid
I bought my 04 Brand new out the factory, but now as time goes by, obviously car value diminishes but it pisses me off everytime I see random plebeians driving around in c5s because you can snag them cheap now. It's like owning a vette doesn't mean anything anymore - almost everyone has one nowadays.

It sucks to think that 10-20 years from now, everyone will be rocking used mustangs/corvettes as if they are hot stuff. Do you think maybe GM should stop making vettes for a few years to create a gap? Otherwise think about it, every year the used car market is getting flooded with vettes, and few years down the road you get more random people driving around in corvettes
How many of your friends and associates drooled over yours when it was new? How many people still tell you nice car, I wish I could get one (even though it is 10 years old)?

In many circles, a corvette of any flavor is one part of the american dream. But as stated by others, many people cannot afford a new one.

So for those that do trade in their old 'vettes, it gives someone else the opportunity to live a dream.

NBM 01
CGM 14
Old 06-08-2014, 04:34 PM
robertmc1958@gmail.c
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Elizabeth City Vette
Hi Robert, I'm just down the way from you here in Elizabeth City. Drive up to Virginia Beach often. That is where i was stationed when I retired in '92. Are you in one of the clubs up there? Have been thinking of joining one and Virginia Beach is the closest one for me. I have looked at Beachcombers, just trying to find the time.
I'm actually the secretary of the Virginia Chevy Lovers car club, we founded a cruise-in in Va. Beach that draws 140-150 cars on Saturday nights. Beachcombers and Custom Classic Corvette's joined us this year as co-sponsors. If you want to join any of our clubs come on up on Saturday night and I can hook you up. Send me a pm if your interested and I'll give you the location and times.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

what happened to the author
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by c4gone

He went back to his Honda forum.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Rickster1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c4gone
He joined the forum on 6/7/14, posted one time, then probably drops in to see what trouble he stirred up. Must of worked, look at all the time we have spent on him.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 PM
C8 Steve
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a troll thread but if not amazing to see how ignorant some people can be. Lets be real here we aren't driving Ferraris or Lambos. As a 20 year old who just purchased a 2000 C5 with 35k miles at what I consider a bargain price of 14.5k (And yes every dime of that was my own money) I love the diverse community of owners I joined. The age range really goes across the spectrum and it really is awesome getting to just enjoy the hobby with other enthusiasts. Every owner that I have met over the years at shows or the track even before I owned my car has always been extremely down to earth and really nice. Glad I havn't come across someone like OP
Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Really? You're driving a 10 year old car. Get over yourself.

I'm almost old enough to remember when C2s were cheap. Literally anyone could get one if they wanted one. My dad who was by no means rich had a 63 SWC when I was born and he sold it for next to nothing because he had a kid and couldn't justify the toy anymore.

Then I do remember C3s being literally given away. nice cars selling for just a few grand. I remember my dad and my uncle ripping on them as crap cars that would never compare to the C2. I remember my uncle buying a few, fixing them up and flipping them they were so abundant and cheap.

I remember when the C4 was hot stuff. I remember dreaming of owning an 84 cross fire car. I remember my uncle buying a 10,000 mile used 84 that was blue and it being the envy of my life in my early teens. Now they are hard to give away, and many other Corvette people mock them as the ghetto Vette, just as used to be the C3 and briefly for a time the C2.

The C5 is coming down in price. Is anyone surprised?
It is a VERY capable car, so we will see if it ever makes "give away" status, but you never know and honestly I expect lesser maintained but drive-able high mile examples to be in the $5-7k price range in the next couple years. The newest C5 is afterall a 10 year old car and the older models are up to 18 years old.

I have a 1994 Camaro. When Chevy stopped making the Camaro for several years my 94 did not jump in value. When they started making the "new" Camaro, I also did not see my 94 jump in value.

I see no reason to believe that if GM stopped making Corvette for a few years that it would make any difference in the value of C5s.

All cars have a floor they reach in value. The C5 is nothing different. Once they reach that floor and plateau they may slowly begin to rise again in value simply because of scarcity.

the 3rd generation Camaro is an example of that. Try to find a really nice late 80s Iroc 5.7 with low miles and all the options for under $10k. I remember selling a perfect one for $4k long ago. I wish now I had kept it because I miss the car.

My 94 Camaro is now worth slightly more than I paid for it 10 years ago ... but still not a whole lot... just because of scarcity. Most of them have been flogged into submission years ago like the older Irocs.

Last edited by TraceZ; 06-08-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 PM
jol
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm on my 9th Vette, most purchased used. I was too busy putting two kids through college and providing a beautiful home for my family. I'm now 66, drive an 04 vert, a BMW 535ix and a Q50. I probably earn more than most now, after 46 years in the workforce, so now I can buy a C7 NEW or a 427, BUT, I will probably want to have money for my family after I'm in Corvette heaven so I may not make the purchase.
I guess I'm a plebian.
And why am I replying to this aristocrat?????

Mods should close this before we all get nasty!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:29 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 182 Posts

I don't see a problem - some people buy a new car and others buy a used car, but everyone drives a used car.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster. They did a study on it.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Illini Al
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

OP, if you want to feel better, just assume we all bought ours new, just like you did.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:11 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Let it go already. We're just proving a point for him (OP) and it has nothing to do with Corvettes.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I like pie....
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Old 06-09-2014, 09:27 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny, looks like OP never posted to this thread again after he put his foot in his mouth with the 1st (and ONLY) post.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 06-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:36 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to remember this "Cash for Clunkers" program the government tried. One requirement was that the used car had to be crushed. All that program ultimately did was make inexpensive reliable transportation for poor people go away for quite some time.

Get notified of new replies

To how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Your point seemed to be that you could swing a new C7. My point was that most people here could.
What difference does it make who can and who can't ? Conversations always seem to go in circles with you !
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
What difference does it make who can and who can't ? Conversations always seem to go in circles with you !
It doesn't make any difference. Wow you guys like to argue about nothing.
Circles? I just added to his comment. He said he could afford a C7 and I thought most people here could. Sorry if maybe you are one that can't. Now are you going to argue about that too?
By the way that is one ugly hood.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by jol
I'm on my 9th Vette, most purchased used. I was too busy putting two kids through college and providing a beautiful home for my family. I'm now 66, drive an 04 vert, a BMW 535ix and a Q50. I probably earn more than most now, after 46 years in the workforce, so now I can buy a C7 NEW or a 427, BUT, I will probably want to have money for my family after I'm in Corvette heaven so I may not make the purchase.
I guess I'm a plebian.
And why am I replying to this aristocrat?????

Mods should close this before we all get nasty!!!
Buying new usually is a waste of money. A home and family security is more important than throwing money away on a new car that depreciates while you are signing the papers. Best part is I love my C5 and you can't even buy one new anymore.

Quick Reply: how will car manufacturers address the used car problem?