Sponsored by:

L5 Fender Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default L5 Fender Questions!

Need help, I'm a total newbie to fiberglass bodywork.

For you guys that bought L5 fenders...did yours show up looking like this?

My body shop has concerns about the condition/quality of these fenders. He says what we received is suspect...and L5 claims he doesn't quite know what he's talking about.

I'm using a reputable shop in Fairfield - Auto Perfectionists. They supposedly have done quite a few wide body/booty vettes and have extensive fiberglass experience. http://www.autoperfectionists.com/corvette-repair/

Bodyshop says:

1) He says he can't understand how/why each fender seems to be comprised of "two pieces". He claims they don't come from a single mold, rather there are two pieces mated together. L5 says no, they are from a single mold.
2) He says there are spots that are extremely thin - "to the thickness of several sheets of paper"
3) Says there is is some cracking/blems on some spots and mounting holes that he's concerned about.
4) Pitting on finish
5) In general, he says they would need quite a bit of work to repair and fit (and in his professional opinion, may not hold up)

To L5's credit, they have agreed to take these back and are replacing with new fenders to ensure everyone is happy. I'm of course concerned about the replacement set...

Anyone have any input/feedback on their L5 fenders, and the pics of the ones we received?

Please and thank you.

Last edited by MotoJB; 06-05-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Need help, I'm a total newbie to fiberglass bodywork.

For you guys that bought L5 fenders...did yours show up looking like this?

My body shop has a lot of concerns about the condition/quality of these fenders. He claims the product we received is very suspect...and they claim he doesn't quite know what he's talking about.

I'm using a reputable shop in Fairfield - Auto Perfectionists. They supposedly have done quite a few wide body/booty vettes and have extensive fiberglass experience.

Bodyshop says:

1) He says he can't understand how/why each fender seems to be comprised of "two pieces". He claims they don't come from a single mold, rather there are two pieces mated together. L5 says no, they are from a single mold.
2) He says there are spots that are extremely thin - "to the thickness of several sheets of paper"
3) Says there is is some cracking/blems on some spots and mounting holes that he's concerned about.
4) Pitting on finish
5) In general, he says they would need a ton of work to repair and fiut and may not hold up

To L5's credit, they have agreed to take these back and are replacing with new fenders to ensure everyone is happy. I'm of course concerned about the replacement set...

Anyone have any input/feedback on their L5 fenders, and the pics of the ones we received?

Please and thank you.

I certainly would not pay to have those flairs fixed. They do not look very good, especially for the price you paid. ON the other hand, the body shop may not want to do the job, because they are not comfortable with this process, but you say they have done many wide body cars, So IM going with what the body shop is saying. Just as something to compare too. here are my flairs as I received them from Pete at corvettecreationz. and these are about 2/3 the price of the L5 quarters.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I certainly would not pay to have those flairs fixed. They do not look very good, especially for the price you paid. ON the other hand, the body shop may not want to do the job, because they are not comfortable with this process, but you say they have done many wide body cars, So IM going with what the body shop is saying. Just as something to compare too. here are my flairs as I received them from Pete at corvettecreationz. and these are about 2/3 the price of the L5 quarters.

Thanks ET...yes, I know Pete's Carbon Creations fenders. I actually have a set of those as well but prefer the look of L5's. I was hoping the L5's would show up looking good but I may ultimately go with the Carbon Creations fenders if the replacement L5's aren't "perfect".

So far, the Carbon Creations fenders look a heck of a lot better from a quality and finish standpoint. Yours look great.

Also, the L5's were $850. Pete's were cheaper but not by a lot.

This shop supposedly knows what it's doing:
http://www.autoperfectionists.com/corvette-repair/

Last edited by MotoJB; 06-05-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Pictorial proof of why people should RUN away from L5 fiberglass products.

How can ANYONE trust a vendor that would ship a product like that??????
So it's said - I hope this doesn't turn into a "bash L5 thread". Sue has been great through the whole process and IMO, they absolutely have the opportunity/chance to make it right.

So what's your specific feedback about the pics (and what you see)?

Thank you 8VETTE7.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

That is bad. Looks like during the separation from the mold it cracked/broke. They then did a really poor job of trying to fiberglass it back together. The backside is always rougher than the front, but should be consistent and look like what I circled in your pic.

Also the side to be painted should be smoother, close to ready for paint. Those are horrible. I am surprised the shop would even consider working on them.
Here are my TPE's when they arrived.

Last edited by meflyfrc; 06-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meflyfrc
That is bad. Looks like during the separation from the mold it cracked/broke. They then did a really poor job of trying to fiberglass it back together. The backside is always rougher than the front, but should be consistent and look like what I circled in your pic.

Also the side to be painted should be smoother, close to ready for paint. Those are horrible. I am surprised the shop would even consider working on them.
Here are my TPE's when they arrived.
Thanks for the input...

All of this and I didn't mention that a fender also broke through the box and got drug around while being delivered. The tip got ground off the end of the fender.

My shop said they didn't pack them well and didn't have them in any way labeled as "fragile".

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Wow that's total crap.... I don't understand why they would even ship out those fenders to a customer. Their quality control must be a joke.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Jrodzo6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L5 fenders

I recieved and installed my L 5 fenders about 2 months ago . I was really happy with them . The only odd thing is the one fender did not have a hole for the antenna , so now I have no antenna . But thats ok, I never listen to the radio anyway, only my I-pod .
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrodzo6
I recieved and installed my L 5 fenders about 2 months ago . I was really happy with them . The only odd thing is the one fender did not have a hole for the antenna , so now I have no antenna . But thats ok, I never listen to the radio anyway, only my I-pod .
No hole for the antenna is normal.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jrodzo6

So, did yours look at all like these things I received??

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Woah. I can't imagine sending something like that out to a customer. I'd expect more from a Honda civic bodykit off eBay
Old 06-06-2014, 11:04 AM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, did yours look at all like these things I received??

Thanks.
That's the right question to ask. I received a set that was basically just as bad (yours looked worse in some areas) and is why they were returned. I'd be surprised if any were received looking any different.

Btw, it took around a year to get my money back, and that only happened because they really had to beyond it being the right thing to do.

Last edited by AVB; 06-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Jrodzo6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L5 fenders

The L5 fenders I received came in way better shape than the ones pictured. I think you just received a bad batch. Hopefully the vendor will be quick to replace them....
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
How can ANYONE trust a vendor that would ship a product like that??????
So much for quality control. L5 may be helpful during the replacement process, but why would they even ship something like that?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Yeah, well, I hope the replacements look great. If not, SHF. (crap will hit the fan)
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I just had my 2nd set installed and the body shop made it very clear to me these are not worth the money they charge for them. They needed alot of work, he had to punch hole for antenna, he added alot of fiberglass and tons of blocking. He felt for the amount of time he had to put into them they now cost twice the price I paid for them and 3x more then GM fenders. But after all the work was done there perfect. Funny thing about these Fenders is 5 years ago the first pair I installed that shop said they were good needed work but good.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
I just had my 2nd set installed and the body shop made it very clear to me these are not worth the money they charge for them. They needed alot of work, he had to punch hole for antenna, he added alot of fiberglass and tons of blocking. He felt for the amount of time he had to put into them they now cost twice the price I paid for them and 3x more then GM fenders. But after all the work was done there perfect. Funny thing about these Fenders is 5 years ago the first pair I installed that shop said they were good needed work but good.
Interesting...so, why your 2nd set installed? 2nd car you put them on?

Get notified of new replies

To L5 Fender Questions!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Forgive my ignorance, but are carbon fiber fenders more difficult to get paint coverage on than fiberglass? Yours look great.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting...so, why your 2nd set installed? 2nd car you put them on?
Was in a mild accident and it cracked.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Forgive my ignorance, but are carbon fiber fenders more difficult to get paint coverage on than fiberglass? Yours look great.
No there is no difference in the prep or the paint application. Obviously the surface of the carbon fiber quarters are deeply suspended In a smooth clear coat. they could actually go on the car and be un painted as you can see in my first photo of the quarter standing alone.. Carbon fiber is as strong as steel and much lighter. I put them on my car and drove it and allowed the car to stress relieve them for a few weeks before I took them off again and had them painted. After painting and re installing them I lowered my suspension to where I wanted it to be. Pictures of my car with the unpainted carbon quarters mounted show the car was in its non lowered stance. Hope this helps
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 06-09-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: L5 Fender Questions!