Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for a Slotted/Coated set of stock replacement brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recommendations for a Slotted/Coated set of stock replacement brake rotors?

Hi guys,

I just installed CCW 505A wheels on my 2003 z06 and the stock rusty brake rotors are killing the look (pads are down to about 10%)!

I'm seeking recommendations for a replacement set of rotors that are slotted/coated and offer a good compromise between price and performance. This is a street car.

Any recommendations/pics?

Thanks,

Luke
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
joecaver
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

check out the slotted and dimpled rotors at Brake Performance. They won't break the bank and they have a lifetime warranty. I am happy with them.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Hi guys,

I just installed CCW 505A wheels on my 2003 z06 and the stock rusty brake rotors are killing the look (pads are down to about 10%)!

I'm seeking recommendations for a replacement set of rotors that are slotted/coated and offer a good compromise between price and performance. This is a street car.

Thanks,

Luke
You just spent a ton of money on new wheels and tires.
Im not sure of the sizes but it would be interesting to know. I love the 505 A so much and have owned them for 14 years. When I put on my carbon fiber flairs, I had to get bigger wheels to accommodate my new rear 345/30/19 tire size. I could have bought anything, So after having a love affair with the 505A , I chose to buy a second set, nothing was wrong with the first set , even after 14 years, I just needed bigger width wheels. 19 X 13
Now back to the rotors. when I bought my original 505A's, in 19 inch
19X 10 fronts and 19 X 11 rears. I found the stock sized rear rotors looked very wimpy ( small ), inside that 19 inch open wheel. So my desire was to put 14 inch rotors on their to complete the look. I went with the Baer Eradispeed +2 .( you can get them in slotted only ) They are very pricy, but they have lasted me 14 years, and I've put over 80,000 miles on them. Of all the big brake kits out there, the Baer Eradispeed 2 piece are the best bang for the buck. the question is do you want to spend 400 dollars on stock sized , coated rotors, some are even as cheap as 300 dollars, or do you want that big brake look. You just bought beautiful wheels and tires. I guess your disposable income has been tested to its limit. the choice is to buy something now, and save some money, or buy what you will want down the road when your disposable income is healthier. My suggestion would be to wait until you can handle the load.
This is just some feedback. you do what your think is best, Im just offering some feedback and consideration.. You can remove your present rotors and wire brush them to remove the rust and get a can of silver header paint, and masking tape and mask them off, and paint them paying special attention to the internal cooling vanes. You can bring those old rusted rotors back to life until you have made your choice on a new rotors. You will be surprised how nice you can make those old rotors look.
Ill show you a few photos. the first will be some with my original 505's and a few with the New 505 in the bigger sizes.

14 inch rear rotors

505 A's with Plus 2 rotors 12 years old with 80,000 miles on them

New 505A with 14 year old rotors with 90,000 + miles

The point to these photos is you can buy any rotors you want, but to have rotors last this long with so many miles and with a 4 hour investment in maintenance twice a year. The rotors speak for themself. BTW the 4 hours is to clean an maintain the 505's and the rotors and the calipers and the wheel wells. Also 505 A are not really a good choice for a daily driver. Not sure if yours is or not. If it is you are going to have a hard enough time keeping them looking nice.
Good luck with your choice of rotors but before you invest in anything, do the research. IM sure you didn't go into the 505's blindly.,
Bill aka Et

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 06-02-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Thanks for the reply gentlemen.

The CCWs are 19x10 (275-30-19) and 19x11.5 (305-30-19). They were spec’d by CCW for an aggressive C5 fitment and powder coated black by CCW. My commutes are really short and the car is garaged but I do expect that the polished lips will require a good cleaning annually. Not a big deal as I bought them to enjoy them so they will be used 

Your red car looks incredible and I love the BBK. It’s not in the cards for me however and I’m only looking for stock size rotors with OEM pads.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Your red car looks incredible and I love the BBK. It’s not in the cards for me however and I’m only looking for stock size rotors with OEM pads.
Take a look at the Brakemotive setup that they sell for $189. I've had them on my car for two years now and they're holding up just fine. When the time comes I'll eventually add in the Baer rotors, but for now the Brakemotive adds a little style to the area behind the wheels.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Luke
Dba 400 series rotors check around I do not sell them but, if you need new pads check out the Carbotech 1521 compound low dust and a 100% non corrosive will not harm your wheels or paint.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F $140 R $120
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-02-2014, 12:40 PM
luke87gt
Pro

DBA400 is an option.

Also, very much liking these from HAWK:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...3&autoModClar=
Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I did the same research myself last year - looking for a set up that would give me a nice upgrade in performance for spirited street driving (no track use). After a flat out TON of reading on this forum and other places , I wound up buying PowerSlot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads from JW Motorsports.

Since I am so **** about my cars , I always dust them off/wipe them down after driving so I wasn't too worried about brake dust (hint: Rejex on the wheels helps make this an easy chore).

My advice: You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get a good set up for street use, but there are much better places to look to save a buck than brakes (i.e. your safety). Buy something reputable, tried and true...
Old 06-02-2014, 02:04 PM
joe's98
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

DBA400 is an option.

Also, very much liking these from HAWK:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...3&autoModClar=
I put Bear decelarotors on mine. Really like the look. Hawk ceramic pads.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I did the same research myself last year - looking for a set up that would give me a nice upgrade in performance for spirited street driving (no track use). After a flat out TON of reading on this forum and other places , I wound up buying PowerSlot slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads from JW Motorsports.

Since I am so **** about my cars , I always dust them off/wipe them down after driving so I wasn't too worried about brake dust (hint: Rejex on the wheels helps make this an easy chore).

My advice: You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get a good set up for street use, but there are much better places to look to save a buck than brakes (i.e. your safety). Buy something reputable, tried and true...
I agree I went with Powerslot Slotted only rotors myself. Pad choice was Powerstop Posi-mold PM18 semi-metallic. Got rid of the nasty pulsating I was having and they look great behind my new Forgestars. (sorry no closeups after new wheels setup). I chose these pads as I felt Ceramic was all hype and not needed on a street car (after reading tons on this site too). Do they dust...yes, but they also stop me well!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Do you guys know if Powerslot are coated?

Anything I get must be coated otherwise they'll rust quickly and look like S.

The CCW 505A show too much brake to go with a non-coated option.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I recently got Baer (drilled & slotted) rotors, and AC Delco ceramic pads from West Coast Corvette. They were on sale with a good price, and I'm very happy with them for now.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Do you guys know if Powerslot are coated?

Anything I get must be coated otherwise they'll rust quickly and look like S.

The CCW 505A show too much brake to go with a non-coated option.
I believe the answer is yes...

http://shop.jwmotoring.com/Power-Slo...5126series.htm
Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You do understand that any rotor will rust in the fire path ( where the pad meets the rotor.) Zinc is scrubbed off that area almost immediately, add some moisture and your new anything rotors will rust just like any uncoated rotors. it is scrubbed off after few application of the brakes next time you take it out.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Looks like just the hat is coated. That usually means a rust "ring" between the hat and the contact pad. Not a big deal I guess.

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You do understand that any rotor will rust in the fire path ( where the pad meets the rotor.) Zinc is scrubbed off that area almost immediately, add some moisture and your new anything rotors will rust just like any uncoated rotors. it is scrubbed off after few application of the brakes next time you take it out.
Yes. The point is to have coating anywhere the pad DOESN'T meet the rotor.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Yes. The point is to have coating anywhere the pad DOESN'T meet the rotor.
powdercoating....

get a color you like
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have EBC slotted rotors along with Hawk HPS pads; a great combination. the two things I would avoid are first; ceramic pads and second; drilled rotors. I had incurable brake pulsation problems and bad performance with the drilled rotors and ceramic pads that were on my car when I bought it. Don't worry about brake dust with HPS pads; it's not bad and it washes off. That's how you know your brakes are working.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations for a Slotted/Coated set of stock replacement brake rotors?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,427 Likes on 14,043 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

On my last C5, I ran a set of Baer Eradispeeds (one piece all the way around) and they were very good rotors. Had them on the car for around five years and they still looked like new when I sold the car.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:22 AM
luke87gt
Pro

Thanks guys.

I decided on DBA400 with Hawk ceramics for the street.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Mr Russ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you think of these? Is "high carbon" just a gimmick?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-R...45718b&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a Slotted/Coated set of stock replacement brake rotors?