Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 and Michelin run flats. Bad Idea!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 AM
nmbsun
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default C5 and Michelin run flats. Bad Idea!

I was really glad to get the Goodyear run flats off of my C5 because of the noise and rough ride. I then bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP run flat tires. I put 12k on these Michelins and both rear tires developed a complete crack around the entire tire where the part that hits the road and the sidewall begins. Michelin would only give me a 90% warranty and I had to pay the other 10% to get new Michelins.

I hope this is an isolated event but if you have or have heard of this please post a reply and let us know if Michelin run flats are bad tires.

Also, if you have found a better run flat tire please post your experience. Thanks
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by nmbsun
I was really glad to get the Goodyear run flats off of my C5 because of the noise and rough ride. I then bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP run flat tires. I put 12k on these Michelins and both rear tires developed a complete crack around the entire tire where the part that hits the road and the sidewall begins. Michelin would only give me a 90% warranty and I had to pay the other 10% to get new Michelins.

I hope this is an isolated event but if you have or have heard of this please post a reply and let us know if Michelin run flats are bad tires.

Also, if you have found a better run flat tire please post your experience. Thanks
Only?
You used 30 % ( 12,000 miles ) of those rear tire's life and they are replacing them for ONLY 10%.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 AM
nmbsun
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Only?
You used 30 % ( 12,000 miles ) of those rear tire's life and they are replacing them for ONLY 10%.
It should have been a 100% warranty replacement as it was a fault of the tire maker. A complete crack around the tires, especially with low miles on the tires, is a fault of the tire maker. For that matter, I have 12 year old tires on my lawn tractor and they don't even have dry rot!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Bent98c5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many years have u had them
Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Whether the tire had a defect or not, you used them for 12K miles. When a car manufacturer recalls a car because of a defect, they DO NOT give you a new car.

You got way more than a fair deal........
Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think they were fair with you.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM
nmbsun
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Whether the tire had a defect or not, you used them for 12K miles. When a car manufacturer recalls a car because of a defect, they DO NOT give you a new car.

You got way more than a fair deal........

On a side note I have had problems more than once with similar cracks on Michelin tires and for that reason no longer will use them.
Here is the Michelin warranty:
6 Years / Free replacement first year, 2/32" or 25% of wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth

When my tires were checked they had 9/32" tread left. So only 1/32" had been used so a full replacement should have been done.

On tire rack . com you can see the warranty for the least expensive tire for my C5 which is a Sumitomo HTR Z lll. The warranty for this tire is:
6 Years from production or purchase / Free replacement for 6 Years from date of purchase or worn to 2/32" remaining depth

Be that as it may, for a tire that has a crack around it like mine did, I will not purchase Michelin tires again. Makes no difference about the 12k miles on the tire. The damn things were made wrong and were coming apart!

Anybody found a better tire that they like better?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:00 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

They should have replaced the tires for free, including mounting and balancing. The tires had dangerous defects that could have resulted in an accident.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

You did not answer how ole the tires were.
That is some important information.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:21 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the info, will definitely keep an eye out for this.....please inform us how old the tires were.. Thanks
Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Never had a problem with mine, other than the typical run-flat stuff (noisy, less performance, etc...).

Matter of fact, rather than throw them out after changing to Pilot Super Sports, I put them on my daily-driver, where they are working just fine (probably 20k on the front ones, 7k rear)
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I had a set of those for 6 months....sold them because they sucked
Old 05-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,229 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You really need to state how long you had the tires on the car. If greater than a year, then Michelin was fair in what they offered you.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the best run flats right now are the PSS ZP that come stock on the C7. You'd need new wheels to run them though. I think base C6 wheels with spacers in the rear would be the most economical option.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:26 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
I had a set of those for 6 months....sold them because they sucked

Never had the cracking issue but mine had those tires when I bought it. It took me 2 months until I got rid of those pieces of crap. Rode like crap, spun like crazy, no thanks....
Old 05-29-2014, 04:15 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, drove 12K on the tires and got brand new ones for 10% and still not good enough
Average daily driver is expected to accumulate about 12K miles per year. Don't know if the OP uses the car as a DD but somehow I don't think so and even at that this would put the tire at 1+ years old. I think they did you wright and stood by their warranty.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by nmbsun
Here is the Michelin warranty:
6 Years / Free replacement first year, 2/32" or 25% of wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth

When my tires were checked they had 9/32" tread left. So only 1/32" had been used so a full replacement should have been done.

On tire rack . com you can see the warranty for the least expensive tire for my C5 which is a Sumitomo HTR Z lll. The warranty for this tire is:
6 Years from production or purchase / Free replacement for 6 Years from date of purchase or worn to 2/32" remaining depth

Be that as it may, for a tire that has a crack around it like mine did, I will not purchase Michelin tires again. Makes no difference about the 12k miles on the tire. The damn things were made wrong and were coming apart!

Anybody found a better tire that they like better?
you're crazy

michelin is probably the highest quality tire manf. on the planet. their only real contender is yokohama and generally michelin makes a better tire

don't let one bad exp turn you, tires should be replaced on a sports car at 4yrs regardless of mileage anyway.

you got a GREAT deal from them. 12k miles is what? half the life of the tire for the average driver? more important are years. that 6 year policy they have is REALLY generous

if you really only used 1/32 in 12k miles you might want to re consider why you own a sports car in the first place

Last edited by racebum; 05-29-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 and Michelin run flats. Bad Idea!

Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racebum
you're crazy

michelin is probably the highest quality tire manf. on the planet. their only real contender is yokohama and generally michelin makes a better tire

don't let one bad exp turn you, tires should be replaced on a sports car at 4yrs regardless of mileage anyway.

you got a GREAT deal from them. 12k miles is what? half the life of the tire for the average driver? more important are years. that 6 year policy they have is REALLY generous

if you really only used 1/32 in 12k miles you might want to re consider why you own a sports car in the first place
I had a horrible experience with top of the line OE Michelins on a new Subaru. They were shot after 20K miles. I would never buy them again. I know people that have had similar experiences. What makes you believe they are the best tires on the planet? Having tread separation on a pair of Michelins after 12K miles are not what you expect from a quality tire. It sounds like they were not abused.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:05 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
I had a horrible experience with top of the line OE Michelins on a new Subaru. They were shot after 20K miles. I would never buy them again. I know people that have had similar experiences. What makes you believe they are the best tires on the planet? Having tread separation on a pair of Michelins after 12K miles are not what you expect from a quality tire. It sounds like they were not abused.
we have no answer on how old they are, age is far more important for tread separation issues, even if we assume they are under 4yrs old duds do happen with all brands

as for my comment on them being great, their new compounds, like the pilot super sport are downright fast for a street tire that can go the type of mileage they do. this is a utqg 300 tire that by all measures will go a whopping 25-30k miles and compete with tires that average maybe 15k miles a set. they are also extremely fast in the rain, like north of .9g in a downpour. currently no one else has a tire that will do everything this one does, the only close competitor is yokohama with their advan v105

if you wasted a set in 20k miles and they were OE for subaru one of two things comes to mind. either the toe in the alignment was off..which can happen even on new cars, or, subaru spec'd a soft tire to make the performance numbers look good. my guess would be the alignment

if you're bent at michelin as a whole for some reason, my second choice would absolutely be yokohama if i had to just pick brands. honestly it should be tire model, not brand as all brands make bad models at some point. yokohamas prada 2 was a POS if ever there was one. most of their passenger tires are really good though, same with sport tires

Last edited by racebum; 05-29-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:14 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racebum
we have no answer on how old they are, age is far more important for tread separation issues, even if we assume they are under 4yrs old duds do happen with all brands

as for my comment on them being great, their new compounds, like the pilot super sport are downright fast for a street tire that can go the type of mileage they do. this is a utqg 300 tire that by all measures will go a whopping 25-30k miles and compete with tires that average maybe 15k miles a set. they are also extremely fast in the rain, like north of .9g in a downpour

if you wasted a set in 20k miles and they were OE for subaru one of two things comes to mind. either the toe in the alignment was off..which can happen even on new cars, or, subaru spec'd a soft tire to make the performance numbers look good. my guess would be the alignment
Nope, had it in and alignment was perfect. It wasn't only that they wearing out fast. They would not hold air or stay balanced. They were 60K mile tires on a Outback Limited(not a performance car by any means) that lasted 20K miles, and I babied that car. I then bought a set of discount tires that lasted 40K miles on that car without a problem.

Quick Reply: C5 and Michelin run flats. Bad Idea!