Sponsored by:

Homelink Visor - Self Install Success

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homelink Visor - Self Install Success

Looking around on another Corvette Forum I saw a guy had purchased a homelink visor unit off of ebay and removed the unit itself then did a self install on his corvette with great pics and associated writeup.

I had recently purchased a pair of new visors from one of our forum vendors and thought, what the heck, I can do that - or if I fail I would buy another new visor and give it up.

So, for $20 I bought a homelink unit from a wrecked car and set about making my wife nervous while I used her seam ripper to open up my brand new drivers side visor. I tested the loose unit against a 12V battery as to make sure the unit was good. Once the visor was opened, like a clamshell, I outlined a nice location inside and used a carpet knife to remove some pressed board so the unit would sit less bulky in between the material. Cut the mirror wires and spliced the homelink in, tested it finding I had wired it backwards, fixed that bad wiring, hot glued the wires down and tested again. Success!

Had to take the visor to a shoe repair shop to get it sewn back together. $10 there and the visor looks like factory optioned. Little things make it better, $30 total and about an hour of work. R2
Old 05-24-2014, 03:44 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R2R
Looking around on another Corvette Forum I saw a guy had purchased a homelink visor unit off of ebay and removed the unit itself then did a self install on his corvette with great pics and associated writeup.

I had recently purchased a pair of new visors from one of our forum vendors and thought, what the heck, I can do that - or if I fail I would buy another new visor and give it up.

So, for $20 I bought a homelink unit from a wrecked car and set about making my wife nervous while I used her seam ripper to open up my brand new drivers side visor. I tested the loose unit against a 12V battery as to make sure the unit was good. Once the visor was opened, like a clamshell, I outlined a nice location inside and used a carpet knife to remove some pressed board so the unit would sit less bulky in between the material. Cut the mirror wires and spliced the homelink in, tested it finding I had wired it backwards, fixed that bad wiring, hot glued the wires down and tested again. Success!

Had to take the visor to a shoe repair shop to get it sewn back together. $10 there and the visor looks like factory optioned. Little things make it better, $30 total and about an hour of work. R2
Excellent
Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good job! Now let's see some pictures.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,584 Likes on 14,130 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nicely done. Hope you took some pics of the process and can share them with us.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 PM
R2R
Racer

I didn't take any pictures, but am attaching the link to the process I followed from that other site. The guy did a great job with the pics and write up. The only difference for me was that my visor mirror was wired with 2 black wires while his was wired with Red and White wires. I had a 50-50 shot at wiring it wrong and I hit that 100%, but a second snip and changed the wires around and I was good to go.

Here is the link to the process I followed: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=40470
Old 05-24-2014, 11:18 PM
ourblk96
Instructor

Originally Posted by R2R

I added a homelink unit to my drivers side visor 2 years ago....one of the best mods I've added to date!! Cheap and easy install!!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by R2R

I also did this mod a coupe of years ago, don't have to worry about finding the garage remote in the car, very easy mod to do.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:30 AM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

another successful DIY!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Shoe repair? LOL! Sorry Just couldn't help it. Haven't seen one of those places in 30 years.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 293 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale002
Shoe repair? LOL! Sorry Just couldn't help it. Haven't seen one of those places in 30 years.
That's the problem now. Most shoes are throw aways. I used to go to my shoe repair guy every couple of years to have my Redwings re-soled. I loved those boots. They finally wore out and when I took my most recent pair to have them resoled, he said they were glued together like all the rest of the new shoes and he couldn't do it. This guy learned from his dad, and his dad learned from his grandfather and now he is getting out of the business because of the cheaply made overseas shoes that everybody buys now that are worn and tossed out. Rant over.

Get notified of new replies

To Homelink Visor - Self Install Success

Quick Reply: Homelink Visor - Self Install Success