Sponsored by:

Vredestein tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp1588
I guess I don't consider that cheap. Most of the tires I've been looking at are around $800-$900 shipped for a set from discount tire.
You may want to reconsider your reference point, at least when it comes to tires in Corvette sizes. I just put a set of the Michelin PS2 ZPs on my car.....$1500, mounted and balanced.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:46 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You may want to reconsider your reference point, at least when it comes to tires in Corvette sizes. I just put a set of the Michelin PS2 ZPs on my car.....$1500, mounted and balanced.
Apparently you didn't read my previous post.

"Slow day at work, so I'm doing some tire shopping online. I can get some Nitto NT05's shipped to my door for $764 if I go slightly wider on the front than stock Z06 tires. If I go Slightly narrower on the front, the price drops to $712. I can get some Extreme Contact DW's that are ~ Z06 size for $824. I can get some V12 Ventus for $714.

These tires don't seem like that great of a deal."

And yes, Pilot Sport's cost a fat stack. All my quoted prices are shipped. Mount and balance will add another hundred or so.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I am running 295/35/18 Vredestein tires on the rear and proxies up front. For some lead foot reason I go through 2-3 sets of rear tires to 1 front. These are a great all around street tire. I have a daily driver in the rainy northwest and they are great in the rain too. They to tend to let loose when I floor it...like most others
Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
the question i have is why it matters,

you blew one at 125, that's scary, as you mention they have been shredded on other cars

if we're talking z06 wheels and this tire, the conti DW comes in the same 295/275 and is a quick rain tire & tests similar to the ps2. doesn't have the steering response of the ps2 but the soft sidewall may be a + for some

there's also the nt05 in 295/275 just like the vred

the vred is an OLD design, and i mean really old design.
I had no idea the design was that out dated. Thanks for that info racebum.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:15 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Seems like the Vreds came out in '06, but I don't know what qualifies for an old design.
As for the Nitto NT05, they are way too far towards track performance to use them on a DD, at least here in the NE.
The Conti's, Bridgestones are great. I couldn't find the Hancook in any of the Z06 sizes.
I would also check the diameters of them before ordering.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

What about the Nitto nt555, it's even cheaper than the nt05's.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp1588
What about the Nitto nt555, it's even cheaper than the nt05's.
an even older design than the vred and they have just atrocious rain performance. the nt05 will straight run away from them in the dry and rain sucks on both, 555 wore great though. tread lasted forever

the conti DW is really the only choice if you live in an area that rains a lot, you want good treadwear and a true 3 season tire
Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM
jrp1588
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Conti DW is for sure at the top of my list. I absolutely love their DWS tires. They are also a good deal more expensive than the Nitto options. Oh well, probably won't be able to afford new tires for my summer wheels until next summer anyway. I'll continue to rock my wagon wheels and Conti DWS tires.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 213 Posts

the question i have is why it matters,

you blew one at 125, that's scary, as you mention they have been shredded on other cars

if we're talking z06 wheels and this tire, the conti DW comes in the same 295/275 and is a quick rain tire & tests similar to the ps2. doesn't have the steering response of the ps2 but the soft sidewall may be a + for some

there's also the nt05 in 295/275 just like the vred

the vred is an OLD design, and i mean really old design.

Wow! That kind of expertise right here...........and from a "RACER!"

I'm impressed!!!

They really need an expert like you over there in dumb old fashioned Europe.

You could tell the idiots at VW, BMW, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo, to stop using Vredestein.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know of these tires and have heard that they are a pretty good all around tire. This is just what I've heard a few times anyway. I wonder if they have any reviews on tirerack?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

I used them, good tires.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Wow! That kind of expertise right here...........and from a "RACER!"

I'm impressed!!!

They really need an expert like you over there in dumb old fashioned Europe.

You could tell the idiots at VW, BMW, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo, to stop using Vredestein.

what the hell is with you old people and the attitudes anyway? it's like everytime i read some whiney passive aggressive post like you just made i can almost bet my bottom dollar the poster is over 55

mad at the world because your junk doesn't work anymore?

talk to your doctor

but, this is a car forum, if you're going to state a position at least list why you think these make a better choice than the DW

Last edited by racebum; 05-22-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:51 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

an even older design than the vred and they have just atrocious rain performance. the nt05 will straight run away from them in the dry and rain sucks on both, 555 wore great though. tread lasted forever

the conti DW is really the only choice if you live in an area that rains a lot, you want good treadwear and a true 3 season tire
So what if the Vred is an older design. It works and I've been very happy with them, never any problems in any situation. If it works, why fix what ain't broken. I've even run mine at 160 mph and I lived to tell about it. I considered all makes when I was choosing them and the Contis were one of my other top choices. In the tire comparo I originally mentioned, their performance was not equal to the Vreds. Just my opinion.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:15 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

what the hell is with you old people and the attitudes anyway? it's like everytime i read some whiney passive aggressive post like you just made i can almost bet my bottom dollar the poster is over 55

mad at the world because your junk doesn't work anymore?

talk to your doctor

but, this is a car forum, if you're going to state a position at least list why you think these make a better choice than the DW
Whoa there....I was just about to chime in and support you until you made it an "age" thing.....I believe you are correct regarding the tires but you have that "I am young and know it all" approach to life. You think everything you "just" discovered is new? But hey what do I know, I have socks probably older and more respectfull than you, but have a nice day.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:55 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Whoa there....I was just about to chime in and support you until you made it an "age" thing.....I believe you are correct regarding the tires but you have that "I am young and know it all" approach to life. You think everything you "just" discovered is new? But hey what do I know, I have socks probably older and more respectfull than you, but have a nice day.
i really don't

but, i just have noticed more than a few people, who you can just tell are getting up there in age having this HUGE ego and attitude.

it's not a general statement about age, hell i'm getting older myself everyday too
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 PM
warlock007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any body remember the good year d3, great tread design but the cut out one of our sizes, that said if they were still around I'd buy them again and again.

I just moved to south FL and am looking for a rain/summer performance tire with good wear and these would stand up to it.

starting to look for another set as we speak
Old 05-24-2014, 05:35 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by warlock007
Any body remember the good year d3, great tread design but the cut out one of our sizes, that said if they were still around I'd buy them again and again.

I just moved to south FL and am looking for a rain/summer performance tire with good wear and these would stand up to it.

starting to look for another set as we speak
oh gosh if you liked those you would LOVE the michelin pss. that tire wears great, is downright fast in rain and rips in the dry

the D3 is a very old tire, very old compound, even the hankook v12 would put those to pasture.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:59 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by alxltd1
In addition, I'd like to know where you get your info regarding tire design and tread compound. Are you a Tire Engineer/Designer? My original expertise used to be in 4x4 tires when I had one of those vehicles. The Armstrong Tru-Trac was an oft-copied legend for years, as was the Firestone Town and Country Snow tire. For regular cars,the original Michelin X held it's own for years as well. Whether you know the actual birthdate of the various tread designs or not, how do you know if it has aged well, and is still current. Bottom line is your info is anecdotal, as is mine. I also find it hysterical that you can determine a person's age from one post.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by chasboy
In addition, I'd like to know where you get your info regarding tire design and tread compound. Are you a Tire Engineer/Designer? My original expertise used to be in 4x4 tires when I had one of those vehicles. The Armstrong Tru-Trac was an oft-copied legend for years, as was the Firestone Town and Country Snow tire. For regular cars,the original Michelin X held it's own for years as well. Whether you know the actual birthdate of the various tread designs or not, how do you know if it has aged well, and is still current. Bottom line is your info is anecdotal, as is mine. I also find it hysterical that you can determine a person's age from one post.
up until about 4 years ago i spent a good deal of time and money breaking parts, going to autocross and generally driving whatever i could at the limit. from the time i got out of HS in the late 90s till the summer of 2009 i've tried a LARGE variety of tires on a variety of cars. typically tires would get changed every other year to maintain grip. the stuff that was available back in 2000 or even 2005 isn't even in the same world as what's out today. tires like the michelin pss are so far beyond any tire made 10 years ago you might as well be comparing slicks to snow tires.

a lot of guys on this forum seem to be the old cruiser type who really don't care about performance and that's fine, i just mention what i've found over the years since there really isn't that big of a price difference in some of these tires but there is a HUGE performance difference

as for the age comment, it's pretty easy. older people typically try and attack someones credibility. younger guys, if they decide to go off typically start the name calling or just rant.

Quick Reply: Vredestein tires