Sponsored by:

Impressions of the Travel Buddy

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Impressions of the Travel Buddy

Well, my first impression of this item, is it's an enormous waste of space. The finish is marginal, but I'm annoyed at how much unused space this thing has. It has two cup holders, as it is supposed to have. They are not enormous, but definitely adequate. But the bottom of the product is flared out for some unknown reason and has a giant void in the bottom, which is not used for anything.

When I can, I'll take a photo of the back and post it so you can see the unused, and consequentially, "in your way," space.

To be fair, I have not installed it yet to see how much space it actually takes up, but the product is oversized for what it is...two cup holders.

Purchased from a reputable vendor on the forums. I may be returning it...we'll see. (btw-nothing negative about the vendor).
Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 PM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14

Have one, does what it should do - love it
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's kinda like the fit of a Lloyds floor/cargo mats.

Not quite what I expected for all the rave they got.

It is what it is, I guess.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:31 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Wait until you try using it, you'll find out how useful it actually is. I've been using it for years and you can remove it quickly if you don't need it. I also use it for a cell phone holder and drinks too.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:32 AM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Love mine!!!! It works great and others say that their passengers tell them that it's really not in the way of leg room.

I have to wonder how many expensive Lloyd's mats would have been ruined without it?!?!?!?!?

DSTURBD
Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
It's kinda like the fit of a Lloyds floor/cargo mats.

Not quite what I expected for all the rave they got.

It is what it is, I guess.
yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

I was real excited about putting it in for a road trip, but then I got it and I was like..."well, okay, not that great."

I guess I'm a big fan of functionality and fit and finish...so I was super hopeful it would be great.

but once again, once it's in, and if I change my mind I will update.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
Love mine!!!! It works great and others say that their passengers tell them that it's really not in the way of leg room.

I have to wonder how many expensive Lloyd's mats would have been ruined without it?!?!?!?!?

DSTURBD
Great point! If my passenger is okay with it on my upcoming road trip, I'll be happier.

Did you get the double or the single?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by usgecko
Have one, does what it should do - love it
A snow plow does what it should, but it's too big for the front of my car.

just kidding, but the analogy is somewhat valid.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by striper
Wait until you try using it, you'll find out how useful it actually is. I've been using it for years and you can remove it quickly if you don't need it. I also use it for a cell phone holder and drinks too.
A quick uninstall is a great feature. I recently visited my local GM parts dealer (a weekly event), and they had this product that fits in a standard cup holder (not the stock vette one), and holds a cell phone, or two and other items. It's like a tray for a cup holder. It even had slots to feed the power cord from the bottom.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:13 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

As promised.

So 7 1/2 inches of unused space. I will concede the bottom 2 1/2 inches is flat, so 5 inches of empty, unused space. It would be different if they put some kind of tray or shelf there. Something that could hold pens, a bottle opener, sunglasses, a cell phone, whatever...it's just wasted space.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Design one you like better and put it on the market. I bought one as a cupholder. It holds cups and they don't turn over. I can take it out if I want. I'm happy. Thinking of buying one for my C2 also. My only complaint is that they seem to be way overpriced for the design and material.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Design one you like better.....
I did design one I like better! I did it after only about 1 day of contemplation after buying my C5 about three months ago.

It's removable in seconds, and it can be made to fit driver or passenger side. It can be adapted (length and drink height) to fit almost any car.
The drink holder is avail in all colors and can even be found in Carbon Fiber ( upscale bicycle shops....).
I did want black, but my WallyWorld was out of that color. At under $5 I can't complain too much!!!!

My legs have never hit it at its present location but it can be slid forward and back.

I design products for a living, so I'd say I'm qualified to say its a pretty darn good alternative to the current (bulky?) market offerings! Should I start taking orders?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

How does it attach to the console area? Does it just slide under console and hang on the carpet underneath? This would be a good mod to put into the low cost mod thread that has a lot of home made mod items in there for the DIY person.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:01 AM
funnyguyMI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Another big fan of the travel buddy here. It serves a very useful function, and IMO doesn't look bad doing it.

I don't really see the bottom area as wasted space. I wouldn't want my drinks sitting much lower. I think they're at a pretty ideal location for reaching them as is. And, you want the travel buddy to reach to the floor of the interior to give it stability.

What would you put in the wasted space? I wouldn't want my cup holders down on the floor.. I suppose you could put a storage space underneath, but I don't think it would be of much use to the driver..
Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
How does it attach to the console area? Does it just slide under console and hang on the carpet underneath? This would be a good mod to put into the low cost mod thread that has a lot of home made mod items in there for the DIY person.
Hi BJones! Thanks for asking!
My low cost DIY Drink Holder just rests on the carpet at the bottom.

I was prepared to use some Velcro "hook" against the carpet and/or some double sided tape where it's slides under the console, but alas it holds very well by itself ! I'd be honored to have it in the LowCost Mod Thread "LCMT" ! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 PM
bgp2157
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have one and its been fine. Maybe not the best thing ever, but its not in the way for passenger and does what it should. Until something better comes out, I'm happy with it.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The 7 1/2 inches of wasted space is to wedge it to the floor to hold it in place. Maybe they could make a cubby hole to hold some stuff in. Here it is in my car
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions of the Travel Buddy

Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I would suggest that you use the product in its intended application before posting a "impressions of an item" review, to provide a more insightful experience.

Other than the problem that it wasn't free, no complaints from me about the travel buddy. It's handy to catch the at hand items I use as I travel around town. The glove compartment is not handy when belted up.

I don't see any wasted space, I don't use that area designated as wasted, and don't really agree with his interpretation of the design. For me the underside provides a stable support if you want to load up with liquids, and needs to be minimized to avoid intruding into the passenger space.

I do like the alternative design offered in that it doesn't cover the radio volume sensor, but I keep that off anyway, for sound quality. It wouldn't work for me because I throw my phone , sunglasses and pens into the holder. Of course, I could get a drink cup and set it up like the poster did with his bottle holder, but that would detract from the interior appointments. So I return to the matching plastic of the travel buddy, it has more of a factory look, verses a handy man add on .

Thanks for the post, I think once you get past the effect of, this is all I got for that amount of money, it really is a useful addition.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 PM
hougland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Design one you like better and put it on the market. I bought one as a cupholder. It holds cups and they don't turn over. I can take it out if I want. I'm happy. Thinking of buying one for my C2 also. My only complaint is that they seem to be way overpriced for the design and material.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,599 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have the used the dual in all my Corvettes, great additions since the cup holder in the cars get hot, and warm the liquids before I could finish them.

Quick Reply: Impressions of the Travel Buddy