Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've had mine for about one year and it's exactly what I thought it would be, albiet an over-priced piece of molded plastic that is the poster child of the Corvette Tax.

I have the dual cup holder as I pretty much use one for the occassional coffee/bottled water and use the other one to hold my iPhone. I try to limit the amount of drinks in my car and very rarely eat inside my cars (both Corvette and daily business sedan) so the Travel Buddy works for me.

I really like that I can simply remove it when I'm at a show.

P.S. I also like my Lloyds mats and never ever thought they lacked in fit and finish.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

I have a single version and it's perfect for what it needs to do holding fountain sodas, bottles of water, sunglasses, Iphones and loose change. Easy in . . .easy out. Wish I'da thought of it.

The other versions I've seen look sorta cheapie to me and don't lend themselves to all the other stuff that end up in mine.

Travel Buddy still gets my .02 - -but it could be about ten bucks less.

Last edited by CQRT; 05-14-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
I would suggest that you use the product in its intended application before posting a "impressions of an item" review, to provide a more insightful experience.

Other than the problem that it wasn't free, no complaints from me about the travel buddy. It's handy to catch the at hand items I use as I travel around town. The glove compartment is not handy when belted up.

I don't see any wasted space, I don't use that area designated as wasted, and don't really agree with his interpretation of the design. For me the underside provides a stable support if you want to load up with liquids, and needs to be minimized to avoid intruding into the passenger space.

I do like the alternative design offered in that it doesn't cover the radio volume sensor, but I keep that off anyway, for sound quality. It wouldn't work for me because I throw my phone , sunglasses and pens into the holder. Of course, I could get a drink cup and set it up like the poster did with his bottle holder, but that would detract from the interior appointments. So I return to the matching plastic of the travel buddy, it has more of a factory look, verses a handy man add on .

Thanks for the post, I think once you get past the effect of, this is all I got for that amount of money, it really is a useful addition.
What radio volume sensor would that be?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 909 Likes on 623 Posts

I have clear option cup holders they fold up when not in use
Attached Images   

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 05-14-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
kgie1217
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have the single version and love it. I know my girlfriend likes it...she normally uses it to put her iPhone in. I bought it black and painted the light oak color. Easy in and out if it needs to come out.
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Design one you like better and put it on the market. I bought one as a cupholder. It holds cups and they don't turn over. I can take it out if I want. I'm happy. Thinking of buying one for my C2 also. My only complaint is that they seem to be way overpriced for the design and material.
Fair enough. Nice color on the mid-year!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Great point! If my passenger is okay with it on my upcoming road trip, I'll be happier.

Did you get the double or the single?
The double!! I rarely have a passenger, but if I do, we are both covered. Otherwise, I have an extra, very stable and secure place to put loose things that could be a problem or unreachable if they got to the floor.

Also, the various sizes of containers that fit securely, without wobbling is amazing. Many won't fit in other holders at all!!

At this point, I couldn't live without my "travel buddy".

DSTURBD
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by strand rider
I would suggest that you use the product in its intended application before posting a "impressions of an item" review, to provide a more insightful experience.
That's why I said first impression. I'll update a more detailed account as my car gets put back together and back on the road.

Other than the problem that it wasn't free, no complaints from me about the travel buddy. It's handy to catch the at hand items I use as I travel around town. The glove compartment is not handy when belted up.

I don't see any wasted space, I don't use that area designated as wasted, and don't really agree with his interpretation of the design.
You can't use the part directly under the cups. That's my point. They could have tapered the body more aggressively into the support leg for a sleeker look.
For me the underside provides a stable support if you want to load up with liquids, and needs to be minimized to avoid intruding into the passenger space.

I do like the alternative design offered in that it doesn't cover the radio volume sensor, but I keep that off anyway, for sound quality.
Couldn't agree more. The original design is poor at best. How many have had that coke flip over on acceleration and hoped the top didn't pop off!

It wouldn't work for me because I throw my phone , sunglasses and pens into the holder. Of course, I could get a drink cup and set it up like the poster did with his bottle holder, but that would detract from the interior appointments. So I return to the matching plastic of the travel buddy, it has more of a factory look, verses a handy man add on .

Thanks for the post, I think once you get past the effect of, this is all I got for that amount of money, it really is a useful addition.
I'm sure I'll like the utility, I just really like a product that is thought out a little more.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I've had mine for about one year and it's exactly what I thought it would be, albiet an over-priced piece of molded plastic that is the poster child of the Corvette Tax.

I have the dual cup holder as I pretty much use one for the occassional coffee/bottled water and use the other one to hold my iPhone. I try to limit the amount of drinks in my car and very rarely eat inside my cars (both Corvette and daily business sedan) so the Travel Buddy works for me.

I really like that I can simply remove it when I'm at a show.

P.S. I also like my Lloyds mats and never ever thought they lacked in fit and finish.
Nice center console! Do you have a picture of the whole thing? Dennis at DDMods was trying to convince me to go with the leather finish. Maybe I should have!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the single and am very happy with it It matches my interior exactly and is quite functional. A bit pricey for what it is though.

Phil
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a double and think it's a good piece of gear. That and the window valet are two of the first accessories I added to the car and the ones that I use every time that I drive it.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Nice center console! Do you have a picture of the whole thing? Dennis at DDMods was trying to convince me to go with the leather finish. Maybe I should have!
Sure, below are some pics of the bezel with the leather half-wrap.

Speaking of Dennis, he seems to have disappeared. I have an email, PM and phone call into him on another mod. No response for close to 2 months...

Hope all is OK.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have one and love it because it serves a functional purpose in which there is no other better option. If it is not needed it can be removed at any time. It doesn't bother the wife at all in the passenger seat and she is normally the one that has the drink in it.
I would definitely recommend it if you or a passenger will ever have anything to drink in the car. As an earlier post noted it can also be used to hold the cell phone,
That being said, it is on the pricey side presumably because it is the only game in town!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Sure, below are some pics of the bezel with the leather half-wrap.

Speaking of Dennis, he seems to have disappeared. I have an email, PM and phone call into him on another mod. No response for close to 2 months...

Hope all is OK.
I spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. It's probably a matter of timing to get ahold of him. He is super swamped with orders and I know he was doing some R&D on C7 products. Try again. Bezel looks great!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM
bjnawa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this one only holds one cup but if you want something clean looking, secure, and stores away in your center glove box (that's right your center gloves box, which is useless for anything else) try this one! Search eBay for Corvette C5CC. Made in America, too!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-Corvette-Cup-Drink-Holder-C5CC-/171296815220?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item27e215f874&vxp=mtr
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjnawa
Well, this one only holds one cup but if you want something clean looking, secure, and stores away in your center glove box (that's right your center gloves box, which is useless for anything else) try this one! Search eBay for Corvette C5CC. Made in America, too!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-Corvette-...15f874&vxp=mtr
That's a very cool inexpensive solution.

Thanks for sharing that!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my travel buddy! Serves its intended function, and it is color matched to my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Impressions of the Travel Buddy

Old 05-21-2014, 04:27 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
What radio volume sensor would that be?
If you look at post 25 and 26, there is a small plastic grate cover set into the side of the carpeted tunnel. I am under the impression that a volume sensor lives there, to adjust the radio volume against ambient noise, so you don't blast yourself out when you stop for the light in a convertible.

Of course, that could also just be an air vent for the gremlins. I wouldn't bet money on my corvette skills.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're kidding right? It's an air vent, lol
Old 05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm sure I'll like the utility, I just really like a product that is thought out a little more.
In reading my reply again, it seems somewhat adversarial . This was not intended, and I hope you accept this slight apology. It was lack of skill, only, I know my manners.

Quick Reply: Impressions of the Travel Buddy