Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How are your brakemotive rotors and pads?
Brakes have warped...garbage!
3.80%
Brakes started pulsating...garbage!
2.53%
Brake pads are shot after 1 year of normal driving.
1.27%
Not very good for 100-150mph hard stopping.
7.59%
Brakes are awesome!!! No problems!
84.81%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Review for brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:22 PM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

On my 2001 Coupe

Name:  VetteWheel2013_zps739f0be9.jpg
Views: 10149
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 05-12-2014, 10:58 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've got the full Brakemotive set f&r with pads. They're on I think at least two years. Followed their bedding procedure and have had absolutely no problems. They have performed much better than you would expect for the money you've spent, they cost me $180. This is the first I have ever heard about they're supposed to be worse than stock, and I've never heard any complaints from anyone else either. They make almost no dust (not that I can notice anyway), never any noise, and stop extremely well. I have had no warping and no cracks anywhere either. The zinc coating still looks good, too. Nice and shiny with no rust. My car is no garage queen, it has plenty of miles on these brakes, and I get on them hard too. I totally endorse these brakes, unless they have made some changes to make them lesser quality. Definetely worth the money!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm back in! Lol
Old 05-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Caveboy
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
well you guys aren't going to believe this I just got off the phone with the manufacturer and they actually told me do not buy them because they were inferior to the stock pads and rotors! said they weren't designed for high-speeds such as in Corvettes. I'm stunned. This was from brakemotive themselves. Very weird !
Ummmm no idea how your coversation went the way you said that it did but they used to advertise here on the forum and on the auction site market directly to corvette owners.
Haven't put any miles on mine yet but they sure are Purdy I'm very confident that I will be 100% satisfied after talking with the people I did before my purchase.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140513_073945.png
Views: 16264
Size:  472.9 KB
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I've had mine at least 2 years without any issues at all. The zinc coating still looks great without any sign of discoloration and they perform great. Other setups may possibly perform better or have snob appeal, but I can't imagine better value.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 645 Likes on 500 Posts

I bought a set, but haven't put them on yet.

They arrived quickly and look great.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 AM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had mine on for about 3 months now, absolutely no complaints. They look fantastic, the stopping power is equal to the OEM rotors/pads, there is virtually no brake dust whatsoever, and you just can't beat the price.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
hmmm...bought 2 sets from their page under the Corvette listing and no issues....had mine powdercoated...
Pics?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had mine installed last week and have zero complaints, especially now that they have had the mileage on them to where they should be performing to spec. I read all sorts of reviews on them and everything I read was incredibly positive, with the only caution being that some people think that if you're going to track the car you should swap on some rotors that aren't drilled or at the very least run a non-ceramic pad.

I use my Z as a DD at this point with no track time so I'm fine with that disclaimer and more than happy with how they look/perform.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

UPDATE!!! so yeah I talked to a different represenative from brakemotive today and got a 100% different story from them:

Thanks and we appreciate your continued interest in our parts! To answer your question, yes, these will not only work great for what you will need them for, but they are going to look even better on the vette! If you need anything else at all please don't hesitate to ask!
So Iam thinking perhaps the person I was talking to wasn't really paying attention to what I was saying and was just picking out "key words". She heard "track" and "100-150mph" and "Corvette" and automatically assumed I would be racing at HPDE type of events. I clarified everything going into detail that I drive my car on the weekends, hit up car shows, go on long distance vacations as well as some charity events in which the car is driven on race tracks but no passing or drafting is allowed. I further explained the braking is not hard and under control.

So just placed my order about 30 mins ago.

What did you guys all do for the proper "bedding" procedure? Did they come with instructions? I tried to read over what Pirateslife4me posted above but the image was too small to read.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 05-14-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

Mine came with instructions on how to break them in.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
[B][I]
What did you guys all do for the proper "bedding" procedure? Did they come with instructions?
They come with bedding instructions.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Narco944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post results!!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM
03newjersey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review of eBay slotted and drilled rotors and ceramic pads from brakemotive76

In Short
The Pros: I like the rotors, pads and hardware. Good value. I’d buy them again.
The Cons: brakemotive76 doesn’t include two of the needed rear caliper clips.

Details
My 2003 C5 had its original rotors, with 77000 miles on them, they were warped and ready for replacement. I’ve read many threads on slotted and drilled rotors vs solid rotors and I understand both sides of the debate. After reading I realized that I like those damn holes! For my daily driver I simply like the looks of those holes regardless if they perform better or not than solid rotors. Also I like the idea of having a plated rotor that won’t show the rust. My low budget dictated how much I could spend so I decided to go with brakemotive76 from eBay. I chose the front and rear slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads and hardware kit for $211.48, item#M640580 (free shipping). The order arrived quickly, in a few days, and was undamaged. The problem is that they don’t tell you that they don’t include all the hardware/antirattle clips needed. As you may know each wheel requires 3 antirattle clips, two of them mount on the brake caliper mounting bracket, and one snaps into the caliper.

Front Brake Hardware

Rear Brake Hardware

Brakemotive76 does not include the clip that snaps into the rear calipers!

Not Included Rear Brake Caliper Clips

They ship you only 10 out of the 12 needed antirattle clips. To make a long story short they eventually refunded me $5.99 so I could buy the needed clips from AutoZone.

Note: The pad hardware kit from brakemotive76 comes in two bags labeled…
POWERSTOP EXTREME PERFORMANCE BRAKE SYSTEMS
part#H731K and #HS732K, made in CHINA, stainless steel

Note: The only info from the brakemotive76 ceramic pads is…
Z16 Ceramic Pads had part#16-731 and #16-732

Because they shorted me the rear caliper clips I left them negative feedback on eBay. They contacted me asking me to retract the negative feedback and I agreed to if they simply revise their ad stating exactly what antirattle clips they would include with the pad hardware kit and what clips they would not. My thought is, “Why should the next customer have this same problem?”
Below is my own version of what their eBay ad should look like, it shows you what’s included and what is not included…

The quality of the rotors, ceramic pads and stainless steel hardware is good. I’ve only used them for a month but I like the looks and they stop just fine for a daily driver, non-track car. I’ve had no issues or squeaks.

I noticed if the rotors get wet while car is parked they get a little rusty like stock rotors get but once driven the rust comes right off and they look like new.

Note: I used CRC Silaramic high temperature brake grease on the antirattle clips and back of pads.

I’ll update this post in a year to show how the products perform after a few thousand miles and a winter in New Jersey.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I am pretty sure those are the rotors on my car. No idea what pads are on there, but I will be changing them soon. I've only had my car since November but I've put nearly 25k miles on it since I got it and I've had no real issues. I do a lot of spirited driving, but nothing over about 80mph on the street. I do know they seem to sometimes lock and slide in the wet at low speeds, but it may not be the pads/rotors.

The hats were painted silver, but they uses cheap paint and there is some rust showing through. When I do my steel brake lines, I will powdercoat the hats and calipers and install new pads and fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To Review for brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:09 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

old thread but still.......my 2 cents, rotors are great...had them on the car since Feb. 2011.....pads are another story. Changed them out with AC Delco Ceramics....
Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Brand___X
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
old thread but still.......my 2 cents, rotors are great...had them on the car since Feb. 2011.....pads are another story. Changed them out with AC Delco Ceramics....
Sg Lou,

Your post is right on time. I am needing a complete set of pads and rotors for my 2004 C5. Your post is the icing on the cake to help me pull the trigger on these bad boys
Old 02-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Carbotech Adam
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Brand___X
Sg Lou,

Your post is right on time. I am needing a complete set of pads and rotors for my 2004 C5. Your post is the icing on the cake to help me pull the trigger on these bad boys
If you need a quality brake pad for your new rotors take a look at the Carbotech 1521 pad. If interested I will be happy to help you.

F: $141 R: $121

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Quick Reply: Review for brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors?