Sponsored by:

Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 PM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge

This happened to me today. I noticed I didnt hear the fuel pump and more so I added a gallon or two and that fixed it. I then filled it up and it only took another 8-9 gallons. There is most likely an issue with my jet/siphon pump from my reading on here. I am still a bit confused though.

My car is a 2002 model, is there a write up on how to clean this? I also though that if there was an issue the fuel gauge would drop to empty to warn you, mine didn't.

What is the best and/or easiest way to remedy this issue?
The following users liked this post:
ijakie1 (01-11-2024)
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by drewkeen
This happened to me today. I noticed I didnt hear the fuel pump and more so I added a gallon or two and that fixed it. I then filled it up and it only took another 8-9 gallons. There is most likely an issue with my jet/siphon pump from my reading on here. I am still a bit confused though.

My car is a 2002 model, is there a write up on how to clean this? I also though that if there was an issue the fuel gauge would drop to empty to warn you, mine didn't.

What is the best and/or easiest way to remedy this issue?
Based on your symptoms, etc, I would go ahead and replace the right fuel pump/sender unit. AC Delco (MU1218), Bosch (67466), Carter (P74894M), all offer it new, pick one. Just shop around first as prices vary widely.

HTH
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got nothing to lose by trying Techron.
The following 2 users liked this post by andrec10:
captras (06-21-2023), ijakie1 (01-11-2024)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:07 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by andrec10
Got nothing to lose by trying Techron.
Techron won't fix running out of gas with 8 gal still in the tank. Techron fixes gauge issues.
ijakie1 (01-11-2024)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Based on your symptoms, etc, I would go ahead and replace the right fuel pump/sender unit. AC Delco (MU1218), Bosch (67466), Carter (P74894M), all offer it new, pick one. Just shop around first as prices vary widely.

HTH
--------

Listen to LoneStarFRC -- he knows what he's talking about.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe I have the same issue, any idea on the labor costs?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 PM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I need to drop the tank to replace it? Is there a write up anywhere or at least a way to drain some of the gas out before I try to support 40+lbs of fuel as well as the tank?

Any suggestions on where the best deal is for the unit or places/brands to avoid so Im not doing this again in another year?
ijakie1 (01-11-2024)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:40 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Depends upon the year as to whether you need to drop the tank. Before mid year 2003 the tank had an access panel that can be removed to access the siphon pump. If the car is a late year 2003 or 2004, then the tank MUST be dropped to access the jet siphon. (Fuel system FFS)

http://www.hessh.de/Corvette/FuelTankSystem.pdf
Does anyone know exactly when the change was made or how to tell which system a 2003Z would have?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:00 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drewkeen
Do I need to drop the tank to replace it? Is there a write up anywhere or at least a way to drain some of the gas out before I try to support 40+lbs of fuel as well as the tank?

Any suggestions on where the best deal is for the unit or places/brands to avoid so Im not doing this again in another year?
No need to drop the tank on your year model. There are a couple ways to get remaining fuel out, but trying to use your left-tank electric pump probably won't be of much help if it's unable to transfer fuel from the right tank in the first place. Since there are only two hose fittings (and one electrical connector for the sending unit inside) on the right tank, you could quickly release one of the two (no tool needed) and have a section of clear vinyl fuel hose (5/16" IIRC) at the ready to equally quickly push on to the nipple, then let it drain into a (preferably clean) container. You can use regular black fuel hose of course, I just prefer the clear stuff. One fitting/hose is a supply (from the left tank) and the other is a return (back to the left tank). Depending on the fuel level inside, if you get little or no flow, connect your hose to the other one. Even when the flow stops, you will have some small amount of residual fuel remaining, probably on the order of less than half a gallon, so have a pan or wide mouth catch-can ready for when you unbolt the six flange retaining bolts. Once you get that far, the worst is over. If you want, you can try driving the car some to lower the fuel level first, but don't get too carried away and run out of gas again unless you have a small gas can with you.

Be SURE to follow the correct procedure for tightening the flange bolts on the new unit and DO NOT over-tighten. The new unit may require some snaking and twisting to get it in, so take your time and don't force anything. Some kits may come with special "breakaway" bolts, so you won't need a torque wrench, as the heads are designed to snap off when proper torque is reached. If not, use a torque wrench set for INCH-POUNDS. This info is in the instruction sheet. I would also recommend reaching inside the tank with some clean rags/toweling first, and give the bottom area a good wipe before installing the new unit in case there's any debris. The hole is about 4" - 5" so you can easily look inside to inspect as well as reach in. You want it as spotlessly clean as possible naturally.

I would feel perfectly safe in using any one of the brand names I posted. They are all good quality, but just shop around for the best prices. Amazon, Rock Auto, Jeg's, Summit, Pace Perfomance, etc, maybe even Scoggin-Dickey. I would think Amazon will likely have the best price or maybe even Ebay. The current GM part number is: 89047748 if you **gulp** decide to buy from a GM dealer.

The key is: shop around. I'm guessing AC Delco will be the best price.

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 04-25-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2003 cars that have VIN's with the last 6 digits greater than 111542 have the FFS fuel system.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also ran out of fuel about 2 weeks ago (2001 Vert, 36k miles, owned 3 months).

The last gage reading I remember was about 1/3, and I never got any DIC reminders to refuel before it suddenly sputtered to a stop. Checked everything: Fuses, relay, squirted the rails, etc, etc,, never really heard the fuel pump either, but I also didn't smell fuel at the tailpipe after cranking it for awhile so I knew it was a fuel delivery problem.

I think mine was a gage problem (not a transfer problem) because of the amount of fuel it eventually took to fill it up.

But if I were you I would try TECHTRON and really good premium gas fill-ups a few times - - Just run it to half-tank and refill. Maybe carry a Jug and run the car below half full as you gain confidence. That's what I'm doing and so far so good.

You got nothing to lose. It's a lot cheaper than throwing parts at it. You can even find some DIY's on blowing out those gas lines too.

Maybe you'll get lucky and enough of the treatment will get over to the 2nd tank to free-up your plugged Jet/Siphon system....

Like I said, you got nothing to lose. I'm about to go on another TECHTRON shopping trip myself!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_engr
I also ran out of fuel about 2 weeks ago (2001 Vert, 36k miles, owned 3 months).

The last gage reading I remember was about 1/3, and I never got any DIC reminders to refuel before it suddenly sputtered to a stop. Checked everything: Fuses, relay, squirted the rails, etc, etc,, never really heard the fuel pump either, but I also didn't smell fuel at the tailpipe after cranking it for awhile so I knew it was a fuel delivery problem.

I think mine was a gage problem (not a transfer problem) because of the amount of fuel it eventually took to fill it up.

But if I were you I would try TECHTRON and really good premium gas fill-ups a few times - - Just run it to half-tank and refill. Maybe carry a Jug and run the car below half full as you gain confidence. That's what I'm doing and so far so good.

You got nothing to lose. It's a lot cheaper than throwing parts at it. You can even find some DIY's on blowing out those gas lines too.

Maybe you'll get lucky and enough of the treatment will get over to the 2nd tank to free-up your plugged Jet/Siphon system....

Like I said, you got nothing to lose. I'm about to go on another TECHTRON shopping trip myself!
I don't think you're understanding that it RUNS OUT OF GAS at 1/2. It's not that the gauge isn't working, he has 8 gallons of gas left in the tank and the gauge reads 1/2. The gas isn't transferring from one tank to the other, techron cleans the contacts for the sending unit to the gauge. That would help if he actually had zero gas and the gauge read 1/2, but he has a half tank left, just like the gauge says.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I don't think you're understanding......
I think I'm understanding well enough. But I think you're not reading well what I wrote.... I wrote about his plugged jet siphon (transfer) problem and blowing out the lines.... how much clearer do I need to be?

Are you asserting that gas treatments and blowing out the lines will NEVER EVER fix a clogged or restricted .050" siphon orifice without replacing parts? I don't think anyone can claim that.

all I said was its worth a try.... geeze
Old 04-25-2014, 10:02 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

What is your fuel pump pressure in the car. If your pump drops pressure below 45 to 50 psi. the pump will not transfer gas from the drivers side to the pass side tank. Which will let the car read the 1/2 tank but also run out of gas.

You have a pump in the drivers side tank that pump gas over into the pass/side that keeps both tank level at all times. But if the fuel pressures drop below above psi this will not happen. Robert
Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

That's not at all how the system works.

* There are two tanks .... each tank has a fuel sender that reports the fuel level to the PCM. The PCM calculates the fuel level based on the info from the two senders and reports that calculated "single tank" level to the IPC which displays it on the fuel gauge.

* The right tank has a "jet siphon" pump in it, the left tank has an electric pump. When the engine is running, the fuel rail is fed by the left tank electric pump. Just after the left pump pressurizes the fuel, there is a line that feeds some of that pressurized fuel into the right siphon pump. The siphon pump has a line that carries the siphoned fuel to the left tank. Both tanks are connected, at the tops of the tanks, by a large diameter "fuel crossover" line which is how the right tank gets fueled ... once the left tank is full during fueling the fuel then crosses over to the right tank, filling it.

* With the engine running more fuel is fed from the right tank than is being taken out of the left tank, so the excess fuel flows back to the right tank via the crossover pipe.

* The "normal" behaviour the PCM expects to see after the tanks are filled is as follows .... the right tank should drain while the left tank remains full. Once the right tank is empty then the left tank should drain. The PCM also knows that the fuel level in either tank should drop as the car is driven a certain distance ..... say 150 miles.

* If the PCM does not see "normal" behaviour (such as the car driving 150 miles and neither sender has moved) then it will set DTC for things like a stuck sender (no movement in 150 miles) or a bad siphon jet pump (the left tank is draining before the right tank) .... or whatever. A P1431 is an example of the codes than can be set.

If you read through the link I provided in post #9 you will see the detailed operation.
OK you know more than me on you write up for sure. But I do know in a 2004 if your fuel pressure drops or is set below like 45 or 50 psi. It will not transfer fuel to the pass/side tank. This I do know for sure. Robert
Old 04-25-2014, 11:19 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't imagine how the car would even run with fuel pressure below 50PSI.
I've seen (with my own gauge on it) a Fuel Injected car idle with 8psi, put it in gear and it dies.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't want to get into details, BUT, if you want to FIX your problem
you need to listen to:

LoneStarFRC
65GGvert
and-
8VETTE7

These are great tech guys. Just say'n. Mr. Sam

PS: Techron is a great product but it is intended for level sensors that are fouled or to prevent fouling.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge

Old 04-25-2014, 12:28 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I don't want to get into details, BUT, if you want to FIX your problem
you need to listen to:

LoneStarFRC
65GGvert
and-
8VETTE7

These are great tech guys. Just say'n. Mr. Sam

PS: Techron is a great product but it is intended for level sensors that are fouled or to prevent fouling.
Thanks for the kind words Sam. Considering the huge amount of your own personal time you have devoted to helping others here on the board, I consider that a compliment.
ijakie1 (01-11-2024)
Old 04-25-2014, 01:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
No need to drop the tank on your year model. There are a couple ways to get remaining fuel out, but trying to use your left-tank electric pump probably won't be of much help if it's unable to transfer fuel from the right tank in the first place. Since there are only two hose fittings (and one electrical connector for the sending unit inside) on the right tank, you could quickly release one of the two (no tool needed) and have a section of clear vinyl fuel hose (5/16" IIRC) at the ready to equally quickly push on to the nipple, then let it drain into a (preferably clean) container. You can use regular black fuel hose of course, I just prefer the clear stuff. One fitting/hose is a supply (from the left tank) and the other is a return (back to the left tank). Depending on the fuel level inside, if you get little or no flow, connect your hose to the other one. Even when the flow stops, you will have some small amount of residual fuel remaining, probably on the order of less than half a gallon, so have a pan or wide mouth catch-can ready for when you unbolt the six flange retaining bolts. Once you get that far, the worst is over. If you want, you can try driving the car some to lower the fuel level first, but don't get too carried away and run out of gas again unless you have a small gas can with you.

Be SURE to follow the correct procedure for tightening the flange bolts on the new unit and DO NOT over-tighten. The new unit may require some snaking and twisting to get it in, so take your time and don't force anything. Some kits may come with special "breakaway" bolts, so you won't need a torque wrench, as the heads are designed to snap off when proper torque is reached. If not, use a torque wrench set for INCH-POUNDS. This info is in the instruction sheet. I would also recommend reaching inside the tank with some clean rags/toweling first, and give the bottom area a good wipe before installing the new unit in case there's any debris. The hole is about 4" - 5" so you can easily look inside to inspect as well as reach in. You want it as spotlessly clean as possible naturally.

I would feel perfectly safe in using any one of the brand names I posted. They are all good quality, but just shop around for the best prices. Amazon, Rock Auto, Jeg's, Summit, Pace Performance, etc, maybe even Scoggins-Dickey. I would think Amazon will likely have the best price or maybe even E-bay. The current GM part number is: 89047748 if you **gulp** decide to buy from a GM dealer.

The key is: shop around. I'm guessing AC Delco will be the best price.
Very nice write up on this problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robert miller
Very nice write up on this problem.
Thanks RM. Unfortunately for me, it was a bad experience several years ago with this very issue, that caused me to have to learn so much about the C5 fuel system. You know what they say about experience - especially the bad ones - sometimes being a harsh but effective teacher.

Quick Reply: Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge