Sponsored by:

Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Thanks RM. Unfortunately for me, it was a bad experience several years ago with this very issue, that caused me to have to learn so much about the C5 fuel system. You know what they say about experience - especially the bad ones - sometimes being a harsh but effective teacher.
Same here with the issue that I posted on here also.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

I have a 98 that had the same problem. Once it got below half would not register correctly. I did not run out of fuel but did add 2 bottles of techron that took care of the problem. I continue to use the additive with no problems.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
I have a 98 that had the same problem. Once it got below half would not register correctly. I did not run out of fuel but did add 2 bottles of techron that took care of the problem. I continue to use the additive with no problems.
That's the part that bothers me. IT'S NOT the same problem. His car died because the gas did not transfer. He still had 1/2 tank of gas and the gauge read correctly 1/2. He DOES NOT have a gauge issue. He ran out of gas to the pump. I've already given my opinion three times now, so I'll drop out and wait to see what the resolution is. To the OP, please do follow up with a post about what fixed the problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
That's the part that bothers me. IT'S NOT the same problem. His car died because the gas did not transfer. He still had 1/2 tank of gas and the gauge read correctly 1/2. He DOES NOT have a gauge issue. He ran out of gas to the pump. I've already given my opinion three times now, so I'll drop out and wait to see what the resolution is. To the OP, please do follow up with a post about what fixed the problem.
I agree with you completely. Two SEPARATE issues.

Of all the C5 fuel system issues generally, there are three that stand out on NON-FFS fuel system cars as being the most common as well as the most serious overall:

1.) Faulty/contaminated fuel sending unit(s) in either right or left tank.
2.) Faulty siphon-jet pump in passenger tank.
3.) Faulty rear fuel-feed check valve.

Any one, or a COMBINATION of these, can cause issues ranging from false fuel level readings and codes, to running out of gas (literally), and hard starting requiring multiple cranking efforts to start the car.

As good as Techron is, as well as other equally effective products out there (and there are), it will generally NOT be the solution to numbers 2 or 3, however I personally think it wise to stick to Tier One fuels, especially those already containing Techron such as Chevron or Texaco. I also personally use Shell or BP from time to time and they have been fine. Due to wishful thinking (mainly), I think there are far too many folks out there that want the chemical "magic bullet", also known as a "mechanic-in-a-can", and cling to the false hope it will cure all their problems if only they just used "enough", whatever "enough" is.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoneStarFRC:
ijakie1 (01-11-2024), Rico7142 (02-28-2016)
Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

[ I think there are far too many folks out there that want the chemical "magic bullet", also known as a "mechanic-in-a-can", and cling to the false hope it will cure all their problems if only they just used "enough", whatever "enough" is. [/QUOTE]

Are you saying that using one of the JC Whitney pills to restore my engine may not be enough?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I agree with you completely. Two SEPARATE issues.

Of all the C5 fuel system issues generally, there are three that stand out on NON-FFS fuel system cars as being the most common as well as the most serious overall:

1.) Faulty/contaminated fuel sending unit(s) in either right or left tank.
2.) Faulty siphon-jet pump in passenger tank.
3.) Faulty rear fuel-feed check valve.

Any one, or a COMBINATION of these, can cause issues ranging from false fuel level readings and codes, to running out of gas (literally), and hard starting requiring multiple cranking efforts to start the car.

As good as Techron is, as well as other equally effective products out there (and there are), it will generally NOT be the solution to numbers 2 or 3, however I personally think it wise to stick to Tier One fuels, especially those already containing Techron such as Chevron or Texaco. I also personally use Shell or BP from time to time and they have been fine. Due to wishful thinking (mainly), I think there are far too many folks out there that want the chemical "magic bullet", also known as a "mechanic-in-a-can", and cling to the false hope it will cure all their problems if only they just used "enough", whatever "enough" is.
After doing a lot of looking, I agree with you on his problem in his car here. Again very nice write up on these problems in the fuel system. One great thing about this forum. You will get more than a few, WHAT IT IS OR WHAT IT TAKES TO FIX THE PROBLEM.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:31 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Are you saying that using one of the JC Whitney pills to restore my engine may not be enough?
The following users liked this post:
New2it (01-12-2024)
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoping to check into this tonight
Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 AM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't drive the car much but still am having fuel gauge/tank problems. 2002 Coupe.

Fuel gauge goes all the way to full when I fill it up. It works normally til about 2/3 full then it drops to zero.

I have run out of fuel twice before well before the tanks should be empty - approx 150mi into the tank. I was trying to just use the trip to tell me when to fill up. Apparently a dangerous game with C5's.

This probably leads to a diagnosis of a bad fuel sending unit? How can I confirm which side. Is the "right" tank on the passenger side?

Also I will carry around a gas can in the car to save my butt as I plan to run it out of fuel again just to make sure all the techron I have loaded in over the past few months hasn't helped. Of course if I do get to 300mi or so on the trip, then I know to fill up . Is a 2 1/2 gal can enough to fill it back up to get me to a station assuming there is one 10mi away?

Also should the car be showing any codes with this condition?

Thanks for any help.
The following users liked this post:
ijakie1 (01-11-2024)
Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I hate to bring half assed info , but I have read here that a factory recall will reset the computer fuel understandings. I haven't investigated that info.

My car throws empty, caution low fuel after a continuous run of a few hours. I have never run out of gas in this situation, I usually am around a filling station and throw in some gas and reset the gauges, so have never explored the depths of the problem.

The step by step walk through fix is encouraging, thanks for posting that. Should I get the feeling , knowing the repair will not be too difficult on my car is a plus.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 AM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Bringing a post back from the dead....

I now have a replacement fuel pump: AC Delco (MU1218) that I am bringing to a shop tomorrow for replacement.

Once the new pump is installed the passenger side tank will be empty. Is it OK to run the car this way until I can get to a gas station and fill it up? Or should it not be run dry?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

No problem since there is no electric motor in the passenger side.

Mr. Sam
Old 02-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Great info and saving this for later reference.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Sailbill
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the fuel pump on my 2002 last month. Easy to do, remove the rear wheel, remove the shield over the pump, disconnect the two hoses and electrical connection, remove the screws holding the pump in. Problem is if there is fuel still in the tank be ready to capture it or it will go all over the garage floor and the fumes will go through the house. The wife will be pissed. She will sleep in the guest room for several days and then threaten to get a motel room. Your happy life having a Corvette will be ruined.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sailbill:
c5arlen (06-20-2023), phoneman91 (04-01-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Been there done that.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 AM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

For closure on my issue (also note I am not the OP..) the replacement passenger side siphon pump solved my running out of fuel at 1/2 tank issue. I guess that is no surprise to the helpful people who confirmed that was probably it. Also it seems all the techron I have put in solved my fuel gauge issue as well. I am down to a 1/4 tank of fuel for the first time in years...Thanks all...

Originally Posted by dba4life
Bringing a post back from the dead....

I now have a replacement fuel pump: AC Delco (MU1218) that I am bringing to a shop tomorrow for replacement.

Once the new pump is installed the passenger side tank will be empty. Is it OK to run the car this way until I can get to a gas station and fill it up? Or should it not be run dry?

Thanks

Last edited by dba4life; 04-01-2016 at 12:22 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-01-2016, 12:47 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I can't imagine how the car would even run with fuel pressure below 50PSI.
2004 convertible. Fuel pressure has always been about 45 PSI. Runs great! Once had gas guage issue ... said I had 1/2 tank when i knew had to be much less. Filled up. Poured in can of Seafoam. Problem resolved.

Get notified of new replies

To Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge

Old 04-01-2016, 06:12 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by drewkeen
This happened to me today. I noticed I didnt hear the fuel pump and more so I added a gallon or two and that fixed it. I then filled it up and it only took another 8-9 gallons. There is most likely an issue with my jet/siphon pump from my reading on here. I am still a bit confused though.

My car is a 2002 model, is there a write up on how to clean this? I also though that if there was an issue the fuel gauge would drop to empty to warn you, mine didn't.

What is the best and/or easiest way to remedy this issue?
Lonestar seems to have the correct diagnosis, but to be sure what codes are being thrown (if any)?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:24 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dba4life
For closure on my issue (also note I am not the OP..) the replacement passenger side siphon pump solved my running out of fuel at 1/2 tank issue. I guess that is no surprise to the helpful people who confirmed that was probably it. Also it seems all the techron I have put in solved my fuel gauge issue as well. I am down to a 1/4 tank of fuel for the first time in years...Thanks all...

Believe me, I know how you feel.

As the old saying goes, "Been there and got the tee-shirt to prove it".
Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am the OP and cleaning the jet siphon solved the problem.

It had a piece of trash stuck in it that i just cleaned out by pulling apart and using a needle to push backward and out the hose that was disconnected - otherwise it would just come right back and plug it up again.

Quick Reply: Ran out of fuel with 1/2 Tank on Gauge