Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM lizards

Old 04-24-2014, 01:08 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Default GM lizards

I know this has struck a nerve with me, seeing how I love my GM C5 so much. I'm very happy and thrilled each day I wake up and drive such an awesome car. But a couple of days ago I read that GM filed Federal Court paperwork to stop the liability lawsuits from GM cars killing it's occupants from bad ignition switches. The argument they claim is since they received bail-out money they are no longer part of the "old" GM but now are the "new" GM so it's not their responsibility.

I thought about this over a couple of days and couldn't believe a company board would be come such lowlife sleaze *****....but I guess they no longer care.

I've decided to NEVER buy another GM car/truck in my future. So it looks like I'll keep my "old" GM built car and avoid any other slime "new" built ones.

I don't know, maybe I think Responsibility means more to me than others today?

"new GM" = trash
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I agree 100%. It's all about money and they have quantified the value of individual lives to make such a decision.

I am done with GM too. I've actually been done. I moved on after they killed off Pontiac. I still have my truck and C5 but I've since moved onto BMW. Much better cars and a much better driving experience.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Clyde2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't agree with GM's old and new thought, but in a somebody else's fault society that we live in they really don't have much choice, just saying if ignition switch shut my car off I would probably pull out of traffic and stop not crash and die... Only my opinion
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Pontiac...yea a bone head move, but if they didn't have the gumption to run the Pontiac brand like it used to be maybe it's better to let go of it. Pontiacs were some of the best cars I owned, too bad they let it go away. I'm a former Firebird owner who loved that car. Even the venerable Grand Am's with 4 bangers was a great family car.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

I am a former Firebird owner too. The best Pontiac I ever had was my G8 GT, but it was a Holden and only badged as a Pontiac.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I will never buy another new GM product. Used Corvettes is as far as I will go. Had some bad experiences with GM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:11 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I don't agree with many things GM does. The easy answer is they are required by law to seek the most return on investment for shareholders, but we all know rules can be bent if you have the power.

I once heard , no way for me to check this for accuracy, is that they had a culture of hard drinking in management. Guy claimed he worked at the country club where the GM guys played golf. Said no matter the tee time, these guys would be real drunk. All I can say is the company certainly seemed out of touch to me. All the cool cars seemed to be opposed by management, and it was power politics instead of product that got things done.

I tend to believe the unsubstantiated report. THe results they achieved could have easily happened in the old culture of real men drink hard and hold their booze , and the biggest ***** gets the biggest office. A bunch of country club republicans screwing things up , only concerned about personal privilege , forgetting that working people pay their bills.

I never thought the war between Ford and GM would be settled, that their would always be GM guys and Ford guys saying their brand is better. Tough to be GM forever when you might get killed because you didn't buy high enough in the line.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM
snidely
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swore, when GM screwed over its' stockholders during the bailout (I was one of them), that I would NEVER own any GM product. Well, here I am a C5 owner.

I doubt I would buy anything new from them, but you never know.

They are a company, and they make decisions in the best interest of the company. Such is life.

I'm with you when it comes to taking responsibility, but nowadays that matters not in most corporate environments. Sad but true.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It is sad that GM has gone the direction they have over the past few years. I want a C7 in my garage some day, but in all probability I will find a gently used one instead of buying new.

The shafting of stockholders and the attitude with the Cobalt owners is pretty pathetic.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And how many guys here claim the AH has caused their car to do weird stuff. Humans can NOT build PERFECT CARS. People that drive cars do STUPID stuff sometime that their cars can't compensate for and they DIE, happens with every manufacturer, get used to it. The bankruptcy laws allow them to do this, don't like it, get the LAW changed.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree and will not buy another GM product as well, new or old. I'm all about supporting American Jobs but I will not fall victom to corporate greed. Even though I love my C5 and have no plans to get rid of it, the way GM handeled all the problems this car had left sour taste in my mouth. With so many foren cars build here in USA I have no quam about buying them instead, like my Tundra which was build in Texas by American workers
Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zagger
Totally agree and will not buy another GM product as well, new or old. I'm all about supporting American Jobs but I will not fall victom to corporate greed. Even though I love my C5 and have no plans to get rid of it, the way GM handeled all the problems this car had left sour taste in my mouth. With so many foren cars build here in USA I have no quam about buying them instead, like my Tundra which was build in Texas by American workers
With Japanese PARTS.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
With Japanese PARTS.
80% of the parts are US or Canadian sourced per google. Nice try but it's "More American" than both Ram and F150.

Edit. Wiki says 75 percent. Still outstanding.

Last edited by Black 02; 04-24-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:28 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Pontiac...yea a bone head move, but if they didn't have the gumption to run the Pontiac brand like it used to be maybe it's better to let go of it. Pontiacs were some of the best cars I owned, too bad they let it go away. I'm a former Firebird owner who loved that car. Even the venerable Grand Am's with 4 bangers was a great family car.
The reason they got rid of pontiac (which technically they still hold the rights to start pontiac again if they so choose) was because they had to choose between all their brands and when it came down to it buick and pontiac they kept buick because its the leading car brand in china and has a much larger market....

Also ive only ever owned old gm cars i really want a dodge charger new but cant afford them yet....
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Percent of parts from U.S. and Canada for 2014

1. Dodge Avenger - 76%
2. SRT Viper, Chevrolet Corvette, Chevrolet Impala (fleet), Toyota Avalon, Toyota Camry - 75%
3. Chrylser 200 Convertible - 74%
4. Chrylser 200 Sedan - 73%
5. Dodge Charger - 71%
6. Chrylser 300, Cadillac CTS, Chevrolet Camaro, Honda Accord - 70%
7. Dodge Challenger - 69%
8. Buick LaCrosse, Buick Regal, Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Malibu - 66%
9. Ford Mustang, Ford Taurus, Cadillac ATS, Cadillac CTS (Premium), Honda Civic - 65%
10. Dodge Dart -62%

Source: NHTSA
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Reminds me of my ex-girlfrind that I REALLY wanted to love, but every time she opened her mouth another bone would fall out. Pretty soon all I could see when I looked at her was the pile of skeletons to the point that I could no longer justify having her in my life!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Choreo
Reminds me of my ex-girlfrind that I REALLY wanted to love, but every time she opened her mouth another bone would fall out. Pretty soon all I could see when I looked at her was the pile of skeletons to the point that I could no longer justify having her in my life!
Quit dating dogs.

Get notified of new replies

To GM lizards

Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,201 Posts

I would suggest withholding judgement until all the facts play out.

Time will prove me right or wrong, but I believe that GM will do right by the families of victims whose death was PROVEN to be related to the ignition switch issue, regardless of any liability shield afforded by bankruptcy.

I believe GM's current legal maneuvering to get a final ruling on the pre-bankruptcy liability issue is intended to shield them from the "me too" crowd and their scumbag lawyers who are only looking to cash in however they can with claims of "lost value" and etc.

Another thought to share that isn't directly related, but relevant...

GM has a long history of safety technology development that has saved countless lives...far more than have been lost due to this ignition switch problem. And...a lot of that technology was shared by GM with both the government and competitors because GM put the public's safety AHEAD of profits (e.g. crash test dummies, inside trunk releases, etc.)

Not saying GM didn't screw up on the ignition switch issue...just saying there is a bigger picture to consider.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But I have to ask how many of you still shop at Walmart after the fire? 112 workers are gone and they simply don't care.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short answer, I am pretty sure LoneStar FRC and I will agree to the real answer/reason behind this behavior. Don't get me started though.

I will say that I like your logic for being a fan of your "Old GM" products. Given that GM filed Ch. 11 in June 2009, all my stuff is "Old GM."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM lizards