Something in my HVAC Blower

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 AM
travbjork
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Something in my HVAC Blower

Hey guys,

I posted about a nasty sound coming from my blower motor for the HVAC and think I might know what it is.

Just noticed this piece was broken on my dash vent (previous owner). Is there any chance the plastic fell into the system and is hitting my blower motor fins?

Anybody tear apart their dash or have any other ides for maybe fishing out the pieces? These Texas summers are terrible, gonna be in the upper 90's this week!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Apparently it is not too hard to pull the blower motor and see what it is. Never done it but here are 2 links I found that might help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tructions.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...wer-motor.html
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I replaced my blower on my S10 chevy truck last yr and decided to see what was up with the old one. I disassembled it and oiled the plain sleeve brng and it runs like new. I am going to rig it up and put on my tractor for hot summer days bushogging. If money is an issue disassemble it and give it a try, no harm no fowl.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I replaced my blower on my S10 chevy truck last yr and decided to see what was up with the old one. I disassembled it and oiled the plain sleeve brng and it runs like new. I am going to rig it up and put on my tractor for hot summer days bushogging. If money is an issue disassemble it and give it a try, no harm no fowl.
I prefer having two girls in halter tops and short shorts waving palm leaves to keep the air moving. Try it some time. Bikinis work also.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Not room for 3 on my tractor, i will do like clent eastwood, improvise, adapt and overcome
Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Apparently it is not too hard to pull the blower motor and see what it is. Never done it but here are 2 links I found that might help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tructions.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...wer-motor.html
This is awesome. I saw one of these threads way back when I started perusing the forum, glad they came up again! I'll be tackling this tonight and reporting back with pics.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 PM
travbjork
Racer

This was such an easy project, thank god for that. Check out the pictures... I'm obviously going to order a new one, haha

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Wow, i have never seen one do that
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM
travbjork
Racer

Wow, i have never seen one do that
Any idea what might have caused it?

Also, anything else I should replace while I'm in there and ordering parts? Filters or anything?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have never seen one come apart like that either. That is amazing. No filters or anything else to change. You should be good to go with just the new cage unless the motor is bad too then get the assembly.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by mstromquist
I have never seen one come apart like that either. That is amazing. No filters or anything else to change. You should be good to go with just the new cage unless the motor is bad too then get the assembly.
It's cheap enough for the whole assembly. I'll probably spring for this guy if nobody has any issues with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Blower-Motor-Front-VDO-PM2714-/400678012943?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CModel%3ACorvette&hash=item5d4a45480f&vxp=mtr
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Can u move the shaft around indicating brng. Is shot and allowed squirrel cage to get into the housing and bust it up. While u r there replace motor and squirrel cage, in fact i would think it only comes as a unit.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM
travbjork
Racer

Can u move the shaft around indicating brng. Is shot and allowed squirrel cage to get into the housing and bust it up. While u r there replace motor and squirrel cage, in fact i would think it only comes as a unit.
Yea, it spins fine, and I know it works. It exploded while it was on full blast auto. The one I posted above should work... although the plug is different.

It's still two prongs, but they're more recessed on the OEM unit. Comments?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I prefer having two girls in halter tops and short shorts waving palm leaves to keep the air moving. Try it some time. Bikinis work also.
That is not going to cool you off!!!! Gauranteed to heat you up even more!!!!!!

DSTURBD
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

I would go to advance, get an exact fit, probably less than 80 bucks
If u go the ebay route u have to wait for shipping and if u can't get the wires to hook up u r hosed

Last edited by bjones7131; 04-23-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Glad it was easy. At my age any under dash work makes it a major ordeal. I have one Italian car that is so low it make the C5 seem like BigFoot. Thank goodness I was much younger when I did it's restoration.

I assume you didn't find the broken grill cover piece. It may have caused that but it really doesn't matter at this point. If that piece did drop into the system it should not cause any further issues. The worst would be to interfere with an actuator door but I doubt it if that has not happened yet.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:51 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Mr. Sam

Glad it was easy. At my age any under dash work makes it a major ordeal. I have one Italian car that is so low it make the C5 seem like BigFoot. Thank goodness I was much younger when I did it's restoration.

I assume you didn't find the broken grill cover piece. It may have caused that but it really doesn't matter at this point. If that piece did drop into the system it should not cause any further issues. The worst would be to interfere with an actuator door but I doubt it if that has not happened yet.
is a tremendous asset to this board. He lives 90 miles from me, and came down to help me trouble shoot an IPC issue on my 01 vert. He can read a schematic better than I can a comic strip.

He is really a MILF man, so don't let him fool you with the two lasses in bikinis talk!
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Something in my HVAC Blower

Old 10-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Z16 Zipper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default something in blower fan or motor

I also had something in the blower box or motor. Took apart as per instructions found on the c5 site. Found it to have been loaded with dog food. Got rid of the dog food and little pac rat with some # 12 bird shot had to wait the little rodent out he only came in at night to hid his food. nail him as he was coming in thru the doggie door. problem solved.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I assume you didn't find the broken grill cover piece. It may have caused that but it really doesn't matter at this point.
If the condition of mine was typical, no way the grill piece did this. They get so brittle they crumble up into tiny pieces if you even breath on them: dropping it into the fan would be like feeding a spider web through a wood-chipper.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I also have a Chevy SSR that gets stuff in the squirrel cage because of very large openings around wipers. Yes you probably have the part of the grill in your cage causing the noise. You will have to access the squirrel cage and remove. A lot of work for what seems like little reward. In my SSR had a leaf that made a noise that was huge. Hard to believe. I looked at my Corvette and it is very superior in keeping debris out, it has to be the vent grill part. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Something in my HVAC Blower