Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dads & my experience (long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow, so many car Dads who passed at a young age! My Dad (now 84) was never even remotely a car guy. Then again, none of my 3 brothers is, either. Still, there are always God-given gifts in every person. My Dad was a nurse, so his helping those in need was his gift to us all.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I would give almost anything, to have one more cup of coffee and visit with my Dad...

If your dad is still with you, go give him a hug, and have a nice talk. You never know about tomorrow.

Last edited by donald4972; 04-23-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

At age 20 I participated in an employee purchase plan for stocks which I thought would be more secure in my dads safe than in my apartment. One weekend I asked him to open the vault and get me the certificates so I could buy my first Corvette, a 68 vert. He did not approve of the purchase (wanted me to buy a Rambler) and said I didn't need it. Dad suggested I keep those stocks and I did. I managed to buy the car anyway. Those IBM stocks purchased in the early 70's split many times and increased in value and are part of the reason I was able to retire at age 49. Over the years dad got so see seven of my eight Corvettes before he passed at age 85. Only rode in one once and said he liked my PT Cruiser more than my Corvette. When dad was 80 I bought him a brand new Grand Marquis. After he and mom passed I traded in the Mercury for my current 02 vert. Guess I'm not a sedan man.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread, put's a lot into perspective....I'm 60 now but I can say that I had some good times with my Dad. Not so much with cars but building things in general....some sports, the usual stuff Dad's do with their sons/daughters....He's been gone for 23 years now, just doesn't seem possible.... but yes I agree, if you still have your Mom and Dad just remember your blessed, time is short, people aren't perfect, so if your relationship is bad, try to restore it and live out what days are left. Just my .02cents
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Touching story! Best wishes for your continued success. It sound like you are starting to figure it out.

My dad died when I was 12 so I never got to enjoy the typical "dad stuff" that many children experience. I never had a chance to really know him as my parents divorced when I was only 10 and the years up to the divorce were not that good.

Growing up without a father is tough for any teenage boy developing into a young man. No one taught me or guided me on the challenges, especially the challenge of being a dad so I'm still learning as I go. So far, I think I've done a good job!

So hug your dads guys and share a cold one (or two) with them! You never know when they will be taken away.

Last edited by MSG C5; 04-23-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Sunnybuckdrew
Advanced

Wow, I didn't expect to see this much feedback, it's great. I have a cousin who always complains about his dad & they fight constantly. I try to tell him to make peace & get along but deaf ears that falls on.

Good to know those here who still have their parents are taking advantage! Thanks for the well wishes.

Everytimr I leave the yard in one of Dads "toys" I know he's riding shotgun. (Probably the same voice that whispers,"faster. faster. " in my ear too!)
Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I also lost my father when I was in my mid 30s, my parents divorced when I was very young and we did not have the relationship that I wish we had, I was lucky that my mother remarried when I was very young to a wonderful stepfather who I consider my father to this day, I still love my real dad of course, but he was never around very much.
Me and my wife moved back to Mississippi last year due to my parents getting up in years so we could be around to help when they needed us, I went and ate lunch with em both today, my Mom still enjoys cooking my favorite meals every time I go to see them, just my visit makes em smile.
They are both 84 now, they both still drive (a tad slower than I like) but they are both doing better than most for their age.
To the original poster, we all have done things in life that we most likely regret, the fact that you picked yourself up and carried on with what you knew would make your parents proud of you is what counts.
Keep your head up and keep focused on your goals in life.
It's never too late to make positive changes in your life
Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Im 28 years old and my brother is 25 when i was growing up i never got to see my father alot because my parents got a divorce. I was forced to live with my mom and that wasnt a good thing (long story) for the past 5 years or so know me and my dad do things all the time. Always going to car shows, or whatever. I hope i have my dad around for a long time. I dont know what id do if he wasn't here.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:04 AM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Touching story! Best wishes for your continued success. It sound like you are starting to figure it out.

My dad died when I was 12 so I never got to enjoy the typical "dad stuff" that many children experience. I never had a chance to really know him as my parents divorced when I was only 10 and the years up to the divorce were not that good.

Growing up without a father is tough for any teenage boy developing into a young man. No one taught me or guided me on the challenges, especially the challenge of being a dad so I'm still learning as I go. So far, I think I've done a good job!
My story similar to yours, only my dad didn't die till he was 86, but he only had time for his second family. But I vowed I'd never do what he done. My son and I spend a lot of time together in the summer. He has a drag car that I work on and fund, for a couple races a month, and then we play golf together.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by chipscvettec5
This is a great thread, put's a lot into perspective....I'm 60 now but I can say that I had some good times with my Dad. Not so much with cars but building things in general....some sports, the usual stuff Dad's do with their sons/daughters....He's been gone for 23 years now, just doesn't seem possible.... but yes I agree, if you still have your Mom and Dad just remember your blessed, time is short, people aren't perfect, so if your relationship is bad, try to restore it and live out what days are left. Just my .02cents
This is pretty close to my thoughts too except my dad has been gone for about 17 years and my mom about 3 years.

My dad only did minor stuff with the cars, but supported us in what we did. I remember once that I wanted a new set of cylinder heads and couldn't afford them. I took my dad out to get a Sunday paper and when we left the store I lit up the tires hard in 1st, hard in 2nd, hard in 3rd, and shut it down in fourth. I said with the new heads I could do that in 4th too. He loaned me the money and helped me put them on.

I miss them.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

MD Events Coordinator

Wow, very touching.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was growing up, my Dad always worked on his own cars. He was born in 1930 and both he and my Mom grew up poor in two small Pennsylvania coal towns. Doing his own car work and fixing things that broke around the house was his way of stretching his paycheck. I also think that he thought it was a sin to pay someone to do something that you could readily do yourself. As a small kid I was convinced that my Dad could fix anything. Whenever he worked on the cars I was his "helper." More often than not, "helper" translated into tool gopher. "Go get me the 7/16 inch combination wrench." Fast forward to probably about 15 years ago. Dad had a Nissan extended cab 4-cylinder pickup. I had the same pickup (they were even the same color) except mine was 4-wheel drive. He said something to me one day about getting it to a local shop to have the belts and hoses replaced. He was probably 70 at the time and in excellent health. I suggested that "we" do the job ourselves. I knew it was an easy job as I'd already done it to my own truck. I bought everything and one Sunday afternoon "we" set to work. I was under the truck wrestling with something and asked Dad to get me something for the tool box, which he did. Then I realized I needed something else and asked him to get that item. This went on for a couple more items when I realized the tables had completely turned on who was working and who was "helping." He came back from getting me something only to find me underneath the truck and laughing uncontrollably. He asked me what was so funny. I said, remember when I was little and used to "help" you work on the car? He had a good laugh about being my helper and I got serious for a minute and said, "and look where we are now. You're 70 and I'm 45 and it's like it was 30 years ago." I'll never forget that day. As I stated in an earlier post, when I eulogized him 3 years ago I mentioned his love of cars, and that one of the gifts he gave me was an appreciation and understanding for things mechanical. I know people who know nothing about the vehicles they drive or how to work on them. Sadly I also know many folks who own powerboats who know nothing about what makes them tick. I'm glad I had a Dad who taught me how to get my hands dirty.

Last edited by Marine One; 04-25-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM
LuckySon
Heel & Toe

Wow, I'm usually over in the Z06 area when I need help, and haven't really posted much compared to most on this forum. This thread really struck a chord with me.

My Dad and Mom split when I was about 7. I spent every other weekend with him, and sometimes got to see him in between since he only lived about five miles away. I was really fortunate to have parents that got along even after divorce, mostly for the sake of me and my sisters.

My Dad taught me to drive a manual transmission in his 1979 Trans Am with a 6.6L 4 Speed. Loved that car. Over the years he managed to keep a fun car in the stable, and bought what he considered his pinnacle car when he took home a 2003 Electron Blue Z06 from the dealer.

I won't draw this story out too long, but my professional course changed dramatically in the wake of 9/11, and my Dad being the conservative guy he was thought it was crazy I was choosing to move my family God knows where and make half as much money in an effort to contribute to something larger than myself.

When my Dad ordered his C6Z06 he asked if I wanted the C5Z06. My response was that I really couldn't afford to take it off his hands, and he was better of selling private party. He gave me the car outright - check out my forum name. I was dumbfounded.

My Dad committed suicide early last year in a losing battle against major depression post retirement. I hadn't seen him in person in about 6 months because my job required me to move some distance away. He was a young man of 65. What a waste.

I think about my Dad every single day, multiple times a day. I loved him greatly, even with all his faults. He was one of the smartest men I knew.

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, don't be afraid to ask them straight out of they're considering suicide.

Thanks to all for sharing, and thanks for reading this post.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:40 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

What? You need a Vette to be a member here?
Old 01-08-2021, 12:18 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Lost my dad tragically when I was 36 and he was 56. He taught me everything about cars (he worked with GM) and life in general. I would do anything just to be able to visit him just one more time.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:14 PM
Westy R
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 96 Posts

You gentlemen are fortunate indeed, that you had your Dad in any part of your life.

(I did not.)

Quick Reply: Dads & my experience (long, sorry)