Sponsored by:

Loud exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 PM
DarkZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud exhaust

Anyone had any complaints about their exhaust before? I have LT,s with o/r x-pipe and Borla stingers, it sounds pretty nasty on a cold start up, I love it. Problem is I worry about the neighbor across the street, they got a new car and it seems to have a real sensitive alarm, it goes off every time I cold start the vette, wonder how long until they get pissed, at least it's not my DD. Anyone else had issues with people thinking your exhaust was to loud?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 AM
CARRJET
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not yet, I have B&B bullets, just compliments
Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as you are not being a dick and revving it up or racing down the street I think they will be fine. Even like it. Just show some respect and they will appreciate it. I ride a Harley with an obnoxious exhaust. I follow these same rules and I don't have any problems.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:57 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,280 Likes on 13,958 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have a feeling that if it does set their alarm off every time you start your car, they are going to get tired of it, along with their neighbors hearing the alarm going off. But, a lot depends on the time of day this happens, whether the neighbors are car enthusiasts, etc.

Hopefully it really won't be an area of conflict between you and your neighbors. And that must be one really sensitive alarm on their car.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

When I first got my C5 it had B&B bullets on it. Loud and obnoxious. Many people that heard it say all bark no bite and basically they were right because otherwise the car was stock. Now it has z06 titanium pipes, quiet as a mouse and and has been moved up from 305rwhp to 450rwhp.

You want deafening obnoxious that is as loud as it is fast, 500horsepower, 454 big block open sidepipes C3 convertible. This thing has gotten me nasty letters from the neighbors. A quick rev going down the street and I can set off car alarms all up and down the road.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 AM
stein3282
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkZ06
Anyone had any complaints about their exhaust before? I have LT,s with o/r x-pipe and Borla stingers, it sounds pretty nasty on a cold start up, I love it. Problem is I worry about the neighbor across the street, they got a new car and it seems to have a real sensitive alarm, it goes off every time I cold start the vette, wonder how long until they get pissed, at least it's not my DD. Anyone else had issues with people thinking your exhaust was to loud?
I have the exact same set up. I also live in a neighborhood which is miles long and has stop signs. The problem is that I work shift work and coming in/going out of subdivision at 330-400AM with my set up. I try to creep through, but those stop signs get me. Have to rev the car to get the 3200 stall to move the car. No complaints yet.

The car alarm problem will eventually **** people off. It sucks to not be able to drive your vehicle because you are afraid of disturbing people.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM
FLZapped
Racer

I would imagine a strong gust of wind also sets it off too. They need to go back to the alarm company and have it adjusted.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 AM
DarkZ06
Advanced

Thanks for the replys guys, I think the alarm is too sensitive, thunder set it off the other night and trucks with loud exhaust. My neighbors are nice but not car people. Guess if I start getting nasty looks I will go talk to them.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

I have Breathless Racing LT headers running through factory cats and H pipe into SLP Loudmouth axle backs...and it is LOUD. Honestly I've only had 2 people complain to me that it was too loud or needed mufflers in the 3+ years I've owned it. One of the complaints happened to me the other day down here in FL when some older gentleman (being polite here) pulled up next to me at a stop light in his prius and screamed out his window "you need new mufflers and the poluting piece of sh@#!!!!!" I just smiled and responded "it already has them" to which he responded with "F&%# YOU!!!!!" and the bird. As he pulled away on the back of his prius he had a coexist peace sticker, obama stickers (yes, plural) and a green peace sticker. I almost wet myself with laughter at that point. So...really, I guess only one valid complaint about my noise level and I know it's louder that what you have on your car. Just remember..."If it's too loud...you're too old".
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I used to have a neighbor whose car alarm went off all the time for no reason. He couldn't understand why all the people that lived around him were upset.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some clown in a chopper that goes through the neighborhood rattling windows. I don't get it, why give the cops a reason to hassle you just "cause" you like the NOISE. Record what you like to hear and play it INSIDE the car as loud as people outside have to hear, you might not like the noise so much then.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Some clown in a chopper that goes through the neighborhood rattling windows. I don't get it, why give the cops a reason to hassle you just "cause" you like the NOISE. Record what you like to hear and play it INSIDE the car as loud as people outside have to hear, you might not like the noise so much then.
I had a neighbor like that. Straight pipes - I could still hear him for several minutes after he left.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:40 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I also have B&B Bullets on my car and it's very loud. I've actually set off car alarms on cars parked along the street as I'm driving. I usually never start my car before 9 or 9:30 in the morning out of consideration for my neighbors. If I have to leave early on a weekend for a car show, I start it up and leave as quickly as possible. There's a guy that I occasionally see that lives about 1 1/2 blocks away that tells me he can hear my car when I start it, which gives me great pleasure.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:57 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Headers, WhiplashII cam, high flow cats, Cut-outs, I think it should be louder.
In the mornings I make sure cut outs are closed and I also start the car with garage door down.No complaints so far.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I also have B&B Bullets on my car and it's very loud. I've actually set off car alarms on cars parked along the street as I'm driving. I usually never start my car before 9 or 9:30 in the morning out of consideration for my neighbors. If I have to leave early on a weekend for a car show, I start it up and leave as quickly as possible. There's a guy that I occasionally see that lives about 1 1/2 blocks away that tells me he can hear my car when I start it, which gives me great pleasure.
Sure, your the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON ON THE PLANET, if you want to wake up the neighborhood and set off alarms you should be able to with no retribution. Hope you remember that when one of your neighbors does something that ANNOYS YOU!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Well, part of me says they'll get over it and part of me says be somewhat considerate...I have the same problem with cold start up and now don't leave for car shows at 6:30 am like I've done before. I now try not to start the car until around 8:00 am or so when the lawn mowers start getting cranked up. lol not a big deal to keep the neighbors somewhat happy...

Get notified of new replies

To Loud exhaust

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Sure, your the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON ON THE PLANET, if you want to wake up the neighborhood and set off alarms you should be able to with no retribution. Hope you remember that when one of your neighbors does something that ANNOYS YOU!
I figure it's an even trade-off. If I had a dollar for every time I've asked the kids next door (and their dad) not to ride their bikes up my driveway and across my lawn, I'd be a wealthy man. Did I mention their dog barks constantly and we can't have the windows open on the side of our house that faces their backyard during the summer? Actually, they're lucky I haven't called in an air strike.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Mickster144
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Loud

I have had my Vette for over two years now and never a complaint...and it is very loud. I do the same...no revs and I leave the neighborhood as quiet as possible. There are annoying dogs and neighboring kids making noises at times when I am trying to sleep, but that is part of living in the city...move out in the country if you want complete quiet.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to put up with a lot of loud noises in our neighbourhood, and after a while it does get to me. That being said, if you are doing your best to be considerate with the set up you have, I would consider talking to the neighbour. I am guessing there is some adjustment that can be made to prevent his alarm from going off under the circumstances you mention. All of my vehicles have alarms and none of them react to loud noises like that.

Quick Reply: Loud exhaust