Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Version of a "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black match box
Nice job. everything looks awsome.
Really nice

Does this rotor upgrade work with stock c5 wheels?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

I did this a couple of years ago with the stock c6z51 rotors, you'll love the look and the added braking.

BTW, sweet looking Z

Last edited by yaknow; 04-23-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:00 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 66dts-v
That's a solid upgrade right there, nice work. I have larger drilled/slotted rotors from the PO, but they didn't put ss lines. I will be doing ss lines, C6Z51 sways and C6Z06 shocks. The Bilstiens are awesome, I am a little torn (but trying to stay somewhat OE).

Looks great.
You really can't go wrong with either shock option. You'll be very happy no matter which way you go

Originally Posted by ls6vettenc
Factory c5z wheels clear these brakes?
I honestly can't say with 100% confidence. The front rotor only increases 0.8" compared to stock, but the C6 Z51 uses 18" wheels up front. I sold my stock wheels so I would hate for others to buy this set-up thinking it would work without having someone test or measure it first.

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
That looks great!

I'm interested in a group purchase! Will that setup clear 17" wheels in front? If it won't, does anyone see an issue with just doing the rear upgrade?

Thanks!
KoreaJon
See my response to ls6vettenc above on the clearance.

I've had some conversation with the guys at KNS and right now they're stuck trying to get the relocation brackets. GM nearly doubled the price of them in the past couple years and a re-man option is only available with the caliper (which is the exact same as our C5 ones), so that's useless. Hopefully they can figure out something soon...

Personally, I don't see an issue with a rear-only upgrade. The Baer Eradispeeds use a 14" rotor out back with a smaller rotor in front (why this did this still boggles my mind but everyone seems to love them). With a rear-only upgrade you'd only be looking at a 0.4" difference (12.6" front / 13" rear).

Originally Posted by 0260N5
Nicely done so all i really need for this is the relocation bracket, lines, and rotors ?
And pads if you want to upgrade those as well. You don't necessarily NEED lines, but I'd recommend just doing them since you're in there.

Originally Posted by black match box
Nice job. everything looks awsome.
Thank you

Originally Posted by chuckeb84
Really nice

Does this rotor upgrade work with stock c5 wheels?
See my response to ls6vettenec above. I can't guarantee it and I know only one other local guy with a C5Z. Might be some time before I can swap a pair of wheels with him to check the clearance...

Originally Posted by yaknow
I did this a couple of years ago with the stock c6z51 rotors, you'll love the look and the added braking.

BTW, sweet looking Z
Thanks! I haven't seen many guys do this upgrade so I felt like I was treading into unknown territory but everything worked out perfect. Maybe I'll see you at a show or cruise some time this year since you're sort of local
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
You really can't go wrong with either shock option. You'll be very happy no matter which way you go

I honestly can't say with 100% confidence. The front rotor only increases 0.8" compared to stock, but the C6 Z51 uses 18" wheels up front. I sold my stock wheels so I would hate for others to buy this set-up thinking it would work without having someone test or measure it first.

See my response to ls6vettenc above on the clearance.

I've had some conversation with the guys at KNS and right now they're stuck trying to get the relocation brackets. GM nearly doubled the price of them in the past couple years and a re-man option is only available with the caliper (which is the exact same as our C5 ones), so that's useless. Hopefully they can figure out something soon...

Personally, I don't see an issue with a rear-only upgrade. The Baer Eradispeeds use a 14" rotor out back with a smaller rotor in front (why this did this still boggles my mind but everyone seems to love them). With a rear-only upgrade you'd only be looking at a 0.4" difference (12.6" front / 13" rear).

And pads if you want to upgrade those as well. You don't necessarily NEED lines, but I'd recommend just doing them since you're in there.

Thank you

See my response to ls6vettenec above. I can't guarantee it and I know only one other local guy with a C5Z. Might be some time before I can swap a pair of wheels with him to check the clearance...

Thanks! I haven't seen many guys do this upgrade so I felt like I was treading into unknown territory but everything worked out perfect. Maybe I'll see you at a show or cruise some time this year since you're sort of local
You Rock
Old 04-23-2014, 10:40 PM
lake_bueller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again....how much did it cost?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If I'm reading this right, you got your relocation bracket from KNS and they are having trouble sourcing them?

Do you have a pic of the relocation bracket? I'm curious what it looks like. I assume you can't see it from the outside of the car?

chris
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lake_bueller
Once again....how much did it cost?
I purchased the shocks, brakes and a few other parts together. I believe the brakes alone were about $1,200 all-in. Do your research on the part #s I've provided and you may be able to find cheaper pricing on certain items or switch out pieces like the rotors/pads to hit a budget within your range.

Originally Posted by chrisj
If I'm reading this right, you got your relocation bracket from KNS and they are having trouble sourcing them?

Do you have a pic of the relocation bracket? I'm curious what it looks like. I assume you can't see it from the outside of the car?

chris
The relocation brackets I purcahsed from Doug Rippie Motorsports.

They look like this:

You do see them from the outside. Some people choose to paint theirs red but I didn't prefer the look. Here's an example:

Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

That helps a ton. I didn't realize that was the relocation bracket, I thought that was the standard caliper bracket.

I already have powdercoated calipers, so I thought this was an easy solution for bigger rotors.... If not, the C6Z kit looks like an economical way to go bigger. I think that's compatible with my wheels already!

chris
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj
That helps a ton. I didn't realize that was the relocation bracket, I thought that was the standard caliper bracket.

I already have powdercoated calipers, so I thought this was an easy solution for bigger rotors.... If not, the C6Z kit looks like an economical way to go bigger. I think that's compatible with my wheels already!

chris
The "relocation bracket" is just a stock OEM C6 Z51 caliper bracket, you replace your stock C5 bracket with it. Having the Z51 brackets powdercoated to match your calipers before swapping them in would be pretty simple since you don't have to do the same prep work and rebuilding that you do on the calipers.

The brackets are about $200 for the set at various vendors, I found some for $229 shipped on ebay for example. Rotors are another $300-$1600 depending on what you buy (cheap reps $300, OEM $400, DBA $700, AFX 2-piece $1600). That's all you need. Lines, pads, fluid are all optional.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by troyguitar
The "relocation bracket" is just a stock OEM C6 Z51 caliper bracket, you replace your stock C5 bracket with it. Having the Z51 brackets powdercoated to match your calipers before swapping them in would be pretty simple since you don't have to do the same prep work and rebuilding that you do on the calipers.

The brackets are about $200 for the set at various vendors, I found some for $229 shipped on ebay for example. Rotors are another $300-$1600 depending on what you buy (cheap reps $300, OEM $400, DBA $700, AFX 2-piece $1600). That's all you need. Lines, pads, fluid are all optional.
Nail on the head!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow Nice upgrades !
Keep up the good work !

Car is looking great !

Toque
Old 05-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Thanks for doing all the hard work on part numbers and what will work with what.

Great stuff and the brakes really do look good and I can imagine that they work very well for you.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:36 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Looks good. Have you noticed your side skirts keep lower sides cleaner, or fewer rock chips?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Thanks for doing all the hard work on part numbers and what will work with what.

Great stuff and the brakes really do look good and I can imagine that they work very well for you.
No problem! I'm glad to help the forum and guide others to different options they may have never thought about.

Yes, the upgrade was a great addition both in terms of aesthetics and performance. It's a great street set-up.

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Looks good. Have you noticed your side skirts keep lower sides cleaner, or fewer rock chips?
My sides still get a little dust, but I'd imagine it helps protect against rock chips. I actually never thought about that benefit before, but it certainly does cover that section.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How do you like the T1 bars? Is there a huge difference?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSUGTO
How do you like the T1 bars? Is there a huge difference?
I'm really loving them along with Doug Rippie's spec'd Bilsteins.
Originally, I was dead set on running coilovers with the T1 bars but was heavily advised to give Rippie's Bilsteins a shot first and I really couldn't be happier with the set-up. For a street car, it's got great manners.

The T1 bars were a huge upgrade. The car feels way more planted and predictable now. The new shocks help round out and compliment the new bars too. You do feel a little more, but it's not drastic enough to be a hindrance. For 1/3 the price of coilovers-only, the value is definitely high given the benefits.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default budget bigger brake kit

Others on this forum have done this , myself included. Retained c5 calipers ,used c6 z51 rear rotors and longer brackets. Works with thin spokes. Bought my 4 drilled rotors from performance brakes. Looks much better and didn't cost an arm and leg. Bolts wright up.

Get notified of new replies

To My Version of a "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Tastee Twirl
LIFE IS SHORT HAVE FUN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Old 05-21-2014, 02:16 AM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
I'm really loving them along with Doug Rippie's spec'd Bilsteins.
Originally, I was dead set on running coilovers with the T1 bars but was heavily advised to give Rippie's Bilsteins a shot first and I really couldn't be happier with the set-up. For a street car, it's got great manners.

The T1 bars were a huge upgrade. The car feels way more planted and predictable now. The new shocks help round out and compliment the new bars too. You do feel a little more, but it's not drastic enough to be a hindrance. For 1/3 the price of coilovers-only, the value is definitely high given the benefits.
Any noise/clunks/NHV with the T1 bars? Or is it OEM quiet?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CGGS
Any noise/clunks/NHV with the T1 bars? Or is it OEM quiet?
Yeah, but it's very minor and not that frequent. I'll hear a squeak or clunk once in awhile, but it really doesn't bother me and I didn't expect OEM quietness or NVH with these. I have the poly bushings too so that could be more the cause than the bars themselves.

Quick Reply: My Version of a "Budget Bigger Brake Kit" and Other Goodies Installed!