Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 vs C5

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:09 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

here at the dealership everyone was loving the new interior until I pointed out that the dash curve is just like a 90s supra almost. once I said that then they were trashing the car. its like, hey its still a nice car. I like the c7 but in my opinion... the c6 looks more muscular. just my opinion, don't kill me.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
To be honest, I'm not sure many of us would want to see you do some of that to a C7 anyway.

Hope you took that in stride...couldn't resist...and just ribbing you man.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
it's broken with tradition, the c7z is another heavy semi luxury car marketed toward old men

i LOVE the c7 seats but really don't like the direction they took the car. it's heading more BMW and less lotus
How in your opinion have they broken tradition exactly, just curious? Is it because it's not NA, or that it's a targa to include the new drop top?

I can perhaps see the forced induction argument, but the roof option in my opinion is a non issue. Why? Because when the original Z06 package came out you could actually order it for a convertible Vette. There aren't many around but there are a few drop top 1960 something Z06 Vettes.

You and I have very differing opinions regarding the marketing. What they've done with the C7Z, especially introducing the convertible, seems to me targeted directly at the younger generation. For the first time even the base corvette doesn't have the "gold chain" stigma which speaks volumes. Comment after comment from auto shows to blog sites there are people of every age group wanting a C7 and now that the Z has been reintroduced, it has the "never owned a GM" crowd looking to get one. With that said I understand the reality of those who may actually be able to afford one might be from the older crowd. This does not however mean it was marketed to said crowd.

Of course a small group of "true corvette" purists will disagree but that doesn't mean we can't have a friendly discussion.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I never saw the C6 as enough of a change/improvement to buy one, so I held on to my 97 C5 for 17 years. When I was driving it to the dealer for a trade in I thought I would really miss it, however, once I got into the C7 I never looked back. As nice as it was, and with all the right mods I put on it, it was starting to nickel and dime me to death, including several ignition switch/lock cylinder issues (ain't that a coincidence!). It was time to move on especially considering all the parts that are no longer available. It was like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I thought it was best to let it go while everything was still working properly on it. I hope none of you guys get into the same predicament, but what I am saying is, it was an old car despite being a pampered Corvette...it was just time to move on and drive something with a warranty and everything new.
Yep, that's why those c1's and c2's are practically worthless! They're old and have no warranties left!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by nvusgt
How in your opinion have they broken tradition exactly, just curious? Is it because it's not NA, or that it's a targa to include the new drop top?

I can perhaps see the forced induction argument, but the roof option in my opinion is a non issue. Why? Because when the original Z06 package came out you could actually order it for a convertible Vette. There aren't many around but there are a few drop top 1960 something Z06 Vettes.

You and I have very differing opinions regarding the marketing. What they've done with the C7Z, especially introducing the convertible, seems to me targeted directly at the younger generation. For the first time even the base corvette doesn't have the "gold chain" stigma which speaks volumes. Comment after comment from auto shows to blog sites there are people of every age group wanting a C7 and now that the Z has been reintroduced, it has the "never owned a GM" crowd looking to get one. With that said I understand the reality of those who may actually be able to afford one might be from the older crowd. This does not however mean it was marketed to said crowd.

Of course a small group of "true corvette" purists will disagree but that doesn't mean we can't have a friendly discussion.

I thought the C7 was NA? The Z for 2015 will have a supercharger.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:26 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Only thing stopping me from going to a C7 is that I'm liking not having a car payment. The C5 is paid for. Still looks as good as the day they first hit the street. Hard to pull the trigger.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:36 PM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has already cleared me to buy a new Vette but I just can't seem to bring myself to spend that much money on a car. What a pleasant quandary. Instead I'm just looking to maybe move into a C6. They seem more and more reasonable as weeks go by.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot
My wife has already cleared me to buy a new Vette but I just can't seem to bring myself to spend that much money on a car. What a pleasant quandary. Instead I'm just looking to maybe move into a C6. They seem more and more reasonable as weeks go by.
When the C8 comes out I'll get a 7 for 1/2 of what they are going for now
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckeb84
When the C8 comes out I'll get a 7 for 1/2 of what they are going for now
In the mean time
Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

I can dream
Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I thought the C7 was NA? The Z for 2015 will have a supercharger.
I wasn't clear in my post I suppose, but I was indeed referring to the Z being supercharged. Apparently that's been rubbing the Z enthusiasts the wrong way.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt

it's heavy, it's supercharged. remains to be seen how well it can hold up to track use and not generate part killing heat because of that supercharger. it's also 100k. who are they selling this thing to? the price of a z06 has doubled in ten years

i can't think of another car that's advanced that much in price in ten years
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Isn't that going to be true of pretty much any current-model car?

And for a C5/C6 owner, it's just a question of degree, rather than the full-blown "WTF?!?" that a C1/C2/C3/C4 owner would face.
Yes it's true that there is also a lot of electronics in other new cars but you don't expect to get as many years out of those cars . They are considered throw away cars that most people only keep a few years and depreciate faster than you can pay them off. Most Corvettes are survivors so there is a need for the manufacturers to have an ample supply of parts stocked for at least 20 years. Each year the prices go up on Corvettes so they have an obligation. How will you feel after paying 70 grand for a new Corvette with so many electronics that will definitely go bad after a few years and they tell you " Sorry but we don't have replacements "
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
In my opinion, If I had the extra cash around the C5 would be gone and a C7 Z would be in my garage.
I have always liked the C7 after seeing my first one last year in person.

This...

Or this?
Sorry Bill , I will have to disagree with you and compliment you on how beautiful your C5 is. Not even close for the C7 ! Am I in the minority to see the C7 as being way overdone and Gaudy ? People always went for a Camaro when they compared it with the Firebird ( TransAm ) because they said that they were overdone with scoops and flash and they liked the simplicity of the Camaro. Now the Corvette is doing the same thing.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Yes it's true that there is also a lot of electronics in other new cars but you don't expect to get as many years out of those cars . They are considered throw away cars that most people only keep a few years and depreciate faster than you can pay them off.
I could provide a list of counterexamples, but there is a whole multipage thread already active about that ("Other than a Corvette??").
Most Corvettes are survivors so there is a need for the manufacturers to have an ample supply of parts stocked for at least 20 years. Each year the prices go up on Corvettes so they have an obligation. How will you feel after paying 70 grand for a new Corvette with so many electronics that will definitely go bad after a few years and they tell you " Sorry but we don't have replacements "
I think you rather badly underestimate the number of 20+ year-old cars at all price levels still out in the road. The cars at the transition point (and the C5 is a prime example) have some issues in that respect, but by now I suspect the only thing distinguishing the PCM/EBCM/whatever in a C7 from their counterparts in a Buick is the firmware. GM may not always do things the way you want them to, but their engineers do understand the economies of scale as regards electronics.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Bill , I will have to disagree with you and compliment you on how beautiful your C5 is. Not even close for the C7 ! Am I in the minority to see the C7 as being way overdone and Gaudy ? People always went for a Camaro when they compared it with the Firebird ( TransAm ) because they said that they were overdone with scoops and flash and they liked the simplicity of the Camaro. Now the Corvette is doing the same thing.
My dad feels the same way about the new vette he feels that got to cute with the lines and it doesnt have those nice swooping lines but rather cut and edgy...

My dad is a corvette lover since his first one in 1964 and is currently a designer at chrysler headquarters so even though i like the c7 i love my c5 more in design aspects....did i was my c5 had all updated ****? hell yeah i do but do i think the c7 is gaudy yes i do too
Old 04-19-2014, 11:24 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rudolph schenker

C7 is awesome.......still love my C5 though.......how about both?
Considering what they would offer you for well-kept, low mileage C5, if you have room, add to the stable. That's my plan. Keep my C5 vert and add a C7 Z06 targa in a few years! Since the C7 platform is all new, I like the idea of waiting a few years anyway so that they can engineer the bugs out and refine it a little more.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 vs C5

Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I love the C7 and the C7 Z06 (both coupe and vert), however is it just me or does this front splitter look more after-market than after-market?!

I was expecting a little more from GM. Not that I would refuse one based on the splitter...

Old 04-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I love the C7 and the C7 Z06 (both coupe and vert), however is it just me or does this front splitter look more after-market than after-market?!
The way the winglets flow into the wheel arch trim (or, more to the point, don't), makes it look like three different designers (arch trim, winglets, splitter) never talked to each other. Not their best work.

It reminds me a bit of all the odd trim tabs, vanes, and whatnot on F1 front wings, designed and wind-tunnel-tested at hideous expense...then they get knocked off in the race and have zero effect on lap times.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:21 PM
c4gone
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

well to touch on what someone had posted about the price being double what it was ten years ago; that is right, the price has gone up but that's just the world spinning. houses are more than ten years ago, fuel, clothes..everything changes as time goes on. do I think it is a lot of money? yes I do, I cannot afford one ever but I do respect that prices change as the world goes round. one big change that I personally don't like is all the trim levels. if there are some people reading this that do like it then im not trying to argue, just pointing that I don't. 10 years ago it was just a coupe , vert, or z. now its 1lt 2lt 3lt 1zl 2zl 3z (just a silly example) but that's what I personally don't like. its just a way to tease you to need to get the best of the trims. id rather they just have it like it used to be. the base and the best instead of charging so much for 56 different trims. but getting back to the original topic, prices change and corvettes aren't going to stay the same price. the price of a c5z ten years ago was in that era. we are in a new time and era and therefore things are going to change.

Quick Reply: C7 vs C5