Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all those interested in getting a GoPro.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default For all those interested in getting a GoPro.

Good morning guys. I've been known to be a little long-winded, so bear with me.

I've recently been looking at buying a GoPro camera for a lot of reasons, mostly drag racing. Well, I was torn between the Hero 3+ Black Edition and Silver Edition. As you may well know, there is a $100 difference between the Black and Silver, the Black coming with a Wifi remote, a better camera, and other exclusive features. For me, those features weren't enough to sway me away from the Silver. After adding all the accessories I wanted (assorted mounts, 64Gig SD card, tethers, protective covers, etc.), my total was around $570 with the Silver Edition. I asked myself, "What if Amazon has better prices on all the accessories?". So away I went, and found that the same accessories (all GoPro brand, no aftermarket stuff) saved me over $150 on Amazon. I saved so much, in fact, that I went ahead with the Black Edition and still saved around $50.

So long story short, if anyone is interested in purchasing a GoPro, I highly highly suggest going this route.

Oh, and if you buy a GoPro right now, you get a free jaw clamp ($50 normally). So there ya go. You can thank me later.

Last edited by LiteraCola; 03-27-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM
ronsrods222362
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD Events Coordinator

Thanks for the info, this will certainly help when I make take the plunge to Go Pro! Keep us posted!!!

If there is no video it really didn't happen....
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 AM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Oh, don't you worry, Mr. Rouse. There will be plenty of videos.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought a GoPro about a year ago. Did not like it. It could not handle light changes and there was loud popping in the sound. Returned it and just got a nice very small HD camera for a little more money that is much more versatile for me. Made my own mount.

I think the GoPro would be good for anything rough and tumble or wet if you got a good one and I know I must have gotten a lemon.

What I didn't like with the GoPro is having to remove it to charge it or download video.

Good luck with yours and hope you like it.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not just get a sony actioncam, cheaper and 10x better video quality!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been interested in the go pro so thanks for the heads up
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default I love my Go Pros

I have several and one can compare all day. It depends on settings very much. Since I do aerial video with stabilized gimbals on my drones - the Go Pro is the way to go for me. I also use a Nikon DSLR for further enhancements. The Go Pro is very versatile with all its mounting accessories such as external auto mounting, headgear, surfboards and so on. Moving into 4K format and the various fps setting is a plus. If your sitting on the ledge, go to their website and check out the videos from around the world!
This is a old video done while just learning to fly and photo. This year I will be doing corvette shows and the run back to Bowling Green, so stand by for future productions! This is just a taste of what is to come!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by envyz06
Why not just get a sony actioncam, cheaper and 10x better video quality!

Gopro hero3 BLACK vs sony action cam - YouTube

GoPro Hero3 Black vs Sony Action Cam VIDEO comparison - YouTube

Although I appreciate your insight, this thread was not meant to be a comparison between the GoPro and any other action cam on the market. I was just giving a heads up "for those interested in a GoPro". And the fact that accessories can be found much cheaper elsewhere.

There's always one.

Mr.Gary, I already ordered mine, so I'm no longer on the fence about it.

Last edited by LiteraCola; 03-28-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I have the white edition and use it for downhill mountainbiking. It works great. It was 199 at target. Works off my iphone and I can review video off my iphone. Not bad for 2 bennies.

http://m.pinkbike.com/video/333112/

; )
Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Amazon and ebay are great places to get that stuff for a lot cheaper. I had to wait a month for a couple of items that came from China but the savings were worth it.

As a side not for everyone, Gopro seems to be releasing a new Hero every October. So if you are looking for the very latest one and you're not buying until Summer, you might want to wait. I have two Hero2 and am very happy with the quality of them. Do your homework before you buy!

Last edited by Chilliwack vettes; 03-30-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to have front and back cameras on my ride that I can record.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 AM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

i had purchased the new go pro with rear display, all the goodies, tried it for a day, it was not much better than my gen2, so i took it back and bought another gen2 off of ebay.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 AM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Contour + that I got to record video while flying. I chose it because of the slim form factor being advantageous for helmet mount. I'd like to use it with the car some, but need suggestions for an external mount that won't see me losing the camera while driving down the road. It can use a standard screw in camera mount.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:10 AM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 78GEN3
I have a Contour + that I got to record video while flying. I chose it because of the slim form factor being advantageous for helmet mount. I'd like to use it with the car some, but need suggestions for an external mount that won't see me losing the camera while driving down the road. It can use a standard screw in camera mount.
A friend of mine uses a small microphone mount with velcro to hold it in place. he says it works great, he uses the Azden SMX10 mount to hold the camera but he inverts the camera, and flips it in editing software, but he does moto-x and such and he's never had a problem of losing the cam.

Last edited by CINNEMAN; 03-31-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
I would like to have front and back cameras on my ride that I can record.

Anyone got any ideas?
Buy a second camera - that's what I did.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

OK cheap plug for a few racing videos with my other car! LOL I have the GP1080 model about 4 years old now and it still works great! This thing even this old looks like ESPN when on the 50" at home, too bad they get dumbed down by You Tube. I have been thinking of getting the remote for it as it is still available for mine, some of you might consider a much cheaper used one a few years old on ebay.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 03-31-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 669 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I just thought I would chime in, as I have 2 Go Pro units for sale. They are the older versions, but one is HD and the other SD. They come with all the accessories and memory cards you need. Let me know if anyone is interested before I take them to the auction site. They are packed and ready to ship.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...cessories.html

Get notified of new replies

To For all those interested in getting a GoPro.

Quick Reply: For all those interested in getting a GoPro.