Sponsored by:

Worth fighting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
SO a cop doing 80 mph and not on call is "within limits" ??? That's a crock of SHHII.... Stuff !
How do you know where he was going?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
How do you know where he was going?
If the cop slammed on the brakes to pull this guy over... he was not responding to a call... In my opinion.... most cops are jerks.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Cops are above the law, they can do whatever they want in traffic and get away with it. Us mere mortals are screwed and at their mercy in these situations. Good luck.
That my friend is BULL SHIII....stuff !! They should be accountable the same as the rest of us !
Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

If the cop slammed on the brakes to pull this guy over... he was not responding to a call... In my opinion.... most cops are jerks.
It depends on the nature of the call. Having someone blatantly breaking the law in the immediate vicinity could have been a higher priority.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 03-19-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

SO a cop doing 80 mph and not on call is "within limits" ??? That's a crock of SHHII.... Stuff !
You don't know if he was doing so in response to a call or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Imagine you are a cop and get a call for a non life threatening situation so you kick it up to 80. A rocket scientist in a Vette speeds up too and is right on your ***. Stopping and giving the guy a ticket would be the most sensible and logical thing to do. It never ceases to amaze me how cops get blamed for just doing their job. Most cops are not jerks. 99.9% of the time those that get tickets deserve them. I have gotten two tickets in my life, deserved them both. I have been let off more times than I can count when I did deserve a ticket. I was stopped 4 times in my C3 and never got a ticket even though I was well over the limit every time.

Last edited by JR-01; 03-19-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

That my friend is BULL SHIII....stuff !! They should be accountable the same as the rest of us !
Are YOU going to point that out to him? Good luck with that.While I may not be overly fond of law enforcement types in general due to bad experiences as a youth, I still respect the fact that THEY HAVE A GUN AND CAN KILL ME.

After meeting many of the LE types in New Orleans after Katrina, I refuse to push the limits of my freedom as a citizen because I can wind up dead. The headline would read "Cop shoots crazed man after confrontation..." and the ensuing investigation will often find him innocent unless there is video proof showing otherwise.

Just sayin.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

wonder who you would call if someone steals your precious vette?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nutseynut7
wonder who you would call if someone steals your precious vette?
My insurance company.

Traffic cop has to be one of the worst occupations in the world. Everyone hates them and there is a culture that supports not doing the job properly. They simply cannot win.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would have to agree with most here that you probably won't win.
But.... since you haven't fought a ticket yet, I'd say go for it! I think you have a plausible defense.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Cannot.claim entrapment as you had a choice to do what you did. Entrapment is when you had no other choice but to do what you did.

Using the "but he was doing it too" defense will not work. You knew what you were doing was wrong. take accountability for your actions
Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
I would have to agree with most here that you probably won't win.
But.... since you haven't fought a ticket yet, I'd say go for it! I think you have a plausible defense.
What's his defense? He was doing 80.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrr23
Cannot.claim entrapment as you had a choice to do what you did. Entrapment is when you had no other choice but to do what you did.

Using the "but he was doing it too" defense will not work. You knew what you were doing was wrong. take accountability for your actions
It's easier to blame the cop.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:19 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Law enforcement topics on this forum usually go south very quickly. If you feel the ticket is unfair or improper, go to court and explain the circumstances to the judge. Let him/her make a decision. You're going to get about as many opinions here on a ticket as you would if you asked about the best car wax or motor oil.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm guessing you never had this conversation with your parents:

Dad: Why'd you do that?
Me: I wanted to.
Dad: Why? What were you thinking?
Me: Well, one of the other guys was doing it too, so I thought it was OK for me to do.
Dad: If one of the other guys robbed a bank, would you do it too?
Me: No.
Dad: So you knew what you were doing was wrong, and did it anyway?
Me: Yes.
Dad: You know that there are consequences for doing something wrong, don't you?
Me: Yes.
Dad: So did you think you wouldn't get in trouble for doing something you knew was wrong in the first place?
Me: well...
Dad: Let the consequences ensue...

Don't do the crime if your not willing to do the time.

Pay the fine and don't do it again, that would be my recommendation. The cop was doing his job.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
Pay the fine and don't do it again, that would be my recommendation. The cop was doing his job.
He was only doing his job if he also gave himself a ticket for the same offense. The cop is 100% guilty of the exact same speeding violation and deserves an identical fine and points, period.

The law is the law, cops aren't supposed to be above it.

For that matter, no one should get reduced penalties or warnings on speeding offenses unless there are extenuating circumstances. Going 80 in a 65 is going 80 in a 65... unless you are fleeing from a tsunami or in a Toyota with a stuck throttle or something there is no possible reason to lessen that charge for anyone.

Speeding should always carry the same consequences upon getting caught, whether you are a 16 year old jerk kid in daddy's Vette or a 75 year old retired 4-star general who volunteers 60 hours a week and gives all his money to charities. The law is the law.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Seems like a crime of opportunity to me.

You perceived his speeding as an opportunity for you to do the same.

Its still a crime, opportunity or not, and he's the one with the magic ticket book.

Get notified of new replies

To Worth fighting?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by troyguitar
He was only doing his job if he also gave himself a ticket for the same offense. The cop is 100% guilty of the exact same speeding violation and deserves an identical fine and points, period.

The law is the law, cops aren't supposed to be above it.

For that matter, no one should get reduced penalties or warnings on speeding offenses unless there are extenuating circumstances. Going 80 in a 65 is going 80 in a 65... unless you are fleeing from a tsunami or in a Toyota with a stuck throttle or something there is no possible reason to lessen that charge for anyone.

Speeding should always carry the same consequences upon getting caught, whether you are a 16 year old jerk kid in daddy's Vette or a 75 year old retired 4-star general who volunteers 60 hours a week and gives all his money to charities. The law is the law.
Police have the right to speed if they feel it is necessary in order to do their job. If you want to speed legally become a cop.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't matter if the cop was speeding, only matters if you were. Sorry to say but pay up and forget about it. Next time don't tail a cop if he's speeding, better yet just get the heck away from him all together.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by JR-01
Police have the right to speed if they feel it is necessary in order to do their job. If you want to speed legally become a cop.
Are you arguing that there is some possible reason that the cop in this scenario absolutely had to speed to do his job?

Quick Reply: Worth fighting?