Sponsored by:

Horrible interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
Cool story yourself bro. In one post you are arguing you track your car and now you are arguing you need a cool stereo as it is a DD. I guess enjoy it however you see fit, or whichever way will benefit your argument more
It can be both at the same time... no need to pigeon hole the car into one role or the other.

That's the argument: You can have a C5 be both nice inside AND fast at the track with relatively minimal investment.

It's certainly cheaper than taking a car that starts out nice inside and trying to make it as fast as a C5 on the track while still maintaining its interior experience. I calculated it would cost ~$80k total to make my Audi S4 worthy of competing in the same NASA Time Trial class that my $25k C5 runs well in almost bone stock. Add ~$10k in track mods and ~$5k in interior mods and I have a $40k car that does everything as well as or better than the $80k Audi would have (except for having 2 seats vs. 4). With the extra $40k I could buy another Audi!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The interiors aren't great but they're practical, cloth/suede seat covers would make a huge difference versus the slippery stock leather in terms of holding you in place.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I upgraded the seats for close to $700 and bought misc. interior upgrades for around $100, a couple of painted pieces (DIY), and it looked better. Still dated, but better.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Many forget that the C5 is a very affordable performance car and not a high priced exotic. If you don't like the quality of the interior, do what many of us have done and upgrade/personalize it through products from many of our fine vendors here on the forum.
Or.....why'd you buy it anyway if you hate it so much?!?!?!?!?
These cars provide soooo much performance so affordably that I don't think anyone has room to b!tch. Besides that, I have taken many long road trips in C5's and as someone else stated, you get out feeling just as fresh as when you got in!! To me that is worth a lot when it comes to me enjoying my car.

If you want upgraded materials, they are readily available from numerous vendors in the best quality materials and workmanship, so why are you on here whining and crying about it? Go fix it to your expectations without making all of this needless noise and stress!!!

God....I get sick of these sob stories about C5 interior quality. I take very good care of my completely stock interior and it still looks brand new and serves the purpose exceedingly well!!!

Rant over...........

DSTURBD
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Brackneyc
No sht. I drive mine before I bought it. I had a decent working knowledge of the car from research as well. I like my wagons, my Bose and my seats.

Me too!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigvx5
The interior in these things are the worst..Comparable to A Yugo..Chevy took minimalistic to a whole new level..I love the outside looks of mine,other than the 4x4 stance..I've already switched over to sport seats and that helped the look a little...what other products are out there to make it look like a sports car?

If you are not kidding, donate the car to a charity and buy a upscale Yugo.

Last edited by Silverbullet00; 03-12-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 PM
bigvx5
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
If you are not kidding, donate the car to a charity and buy a upscale Yugo.
I think I was aggrevated..I Sat In car for Hrs Taking the interior apart trying To Figure Out why Gas door wouldn't open...I Am thinking Of going To A C6 Z06 or a gen 3 or 4 viper..

Last edited by bigvx5; 03-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:40 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some Corbeau A4 seats. Some Apsis parts. Double DIN nav unit.

I am buying another C5Z for cheap performance, especially track, and nothing else. The interiors are bad, very bad - but not much else was great in the late 90's either. I think the worst part is the steering wheel, which still can't be replaced without losing the airbag.

My Cayman S interior was in another league. Porsche interiors are the best, but they're also more expensive generally.

I love C5's for what they are, but some owners are really stretching on the design and fit and finish in this thread.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigvx5
I think I was aggrevated..I Sat In car for Hrs Taking the interior apart trying To Figure Out why Gas door wouldn't open...I Am thinking Of going To A C6 Z06 or a gen 3 or 4 viper..
C6 interior is marginally better and Viper interiors are crap.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GM interiors suck...this should not be a surprise to anyone.
Layout and design isn't bad truthfully, it's the fisher-price plastic they use for materials.

I don't even think the C7's interior is as good as they say either.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

In a pure track car, I might agree. But on the street, where you can't even use 50% of the cars performance without being arrested, I'd happily take the M3 over a C5. E46 or E9x, doesn't matter.
Holy crap you need to sell your corvette. I use 100% of my torque every single time I drive. Every m3 owner I've talked to has complained about how it's not as fun on the street as they want it to be. Most of my friends ended up selling m3's for 335's or something with slightly larger ***** so they could have fun without having to carve every turn at the limit
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I remember when I picked the car up new in 2000 at the Dealership and how it felt like a spaceship cockpit! I spent an hour just reading the Owner's Manual taking it all in before my maiden launch! I thought it was a great futuristic design both then and now - and I have driven it everyday for 14 years - still just as exciting to me?

As far as quality, my only serious complaint was with the seat leather/bolsters and the vinyl - especially on the doors and console surround. Console could be fixed with leather (still on my list), but I have not seen any solution I really like for the upper door panels. I like the factory "seamless" covering of the upper doors, just not the vinyl or how it separates. I personally can't bring myself to spend the money for the leather upper door panels with all the stitched patchwork needed to make leather follow the compound curves. If I had my choice, I would like to have seen the upper door panels and dash made out of the same textured-rubber-like material used in the C6 - that was really the only thing I liked about the C6!

I re-worked most of my interior with VE several years ago and it still looks new (actually better). I also did "extensive" sound-deadening to where you can hear yourself breathing now. VE interior upgrade was the best money I have spent on the C5 so far...

I have drive lots of new model rental cars over the past few years and none of them compare to the quality I feel in my C5 - and many of those rental cars are in the $40k range!

Last edited by Choreo; 03-13-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:08 AM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
Instead, I'm grateful they cut some corners on the interior so the "masses" could afford these great cars more so that I'd have a nice used car available to purchase within MY budget!!
The masses can't afford these cars. My C5 was $52K when it was new. I had to buy it used. . . . like the masses.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
The masses can't afford these cars. My C5 was $52K when it was new. I had to buy it used. . . . like the masses.
Likewise. My son bought a new "retro" Mustang in it's first year of production. He's had handles fall off. All the lettering on the dash controls wipe away, the door panels are falling apart, the windows sometimes work right and recently, the top of his shifter **** broke off. So every manufacturer cuts corners to either save weight because of CAFE standards or to up their profit margin.

-Bruce
Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Holy crap you need to sell your corvette. I use 100% of my torque every single time I drive. Every m3 owner I've talked to has complained about how it's not as fun on the street as they want it to be. Most of my friends ended up selling m3's for 335's or something with slightly larger ***** so they could have fun without having to carve every turn at the limit
Holy crap I think I'll keep it.

The 335i and M3 are very different cars. The 335i is faster in a straight line after mods but that doesn't make it a better car. Driven back to back, I tend to enjoy driving the slower E46 M3 to the E90 335i unless I am going to the 1/4 mile track.

The E90 interior is much nicer though and the sport seats are great. Makes for one nice DD
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Holy crap I think I'll keep it. The 335i and M3 are very different cars. The 335i is faster in a straight line after mods but that doesn't make it a better car. Driven back to back, I tend to enjoy driving the slower E46 M3 to the E90 335i unless I am going to the 1/4 mile track. The E90 interior is much nicer though and the sport seats are great. Makes for one nice DD
My point is, if you like the m3 so much pick up an e46. They aren't any more expensive than a c5, and you said you would rather have that. Plus, the 335 provides much more street performance out of the box. Much more torque from the 335, and you can take street turns just as quickly in the 335 as the m3, unless as you stated earlier you fancy getting arrested
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

My point is, if you like the m3 so much pick up an e46. They aren't any more expensive than a c5, and you said you would rather have that. Plus, the 335 provides much more street performance out of the box. Much more torque from the 335, and you can take street turns just as quickly in the 335 as the m3, unless as you stated earlier you fancy getting arrested
I currently own an E46 M3 along with my Z06 and have a 335i as my daily. The M3 and Z are weekend cars and I feel they are both more special than the 335i. The 335i is quick though, no doubting that. It won't outrun my Z but with a few more mods it could likey kill it from a roll.

No doubt the C5 interior is bad, but if I didn't feel the car was special I would sell it. That's not the case though and I plan to keep it.

Last edited by Black 02; 03-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Horrible interior

Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

I currently own an E46 M3 along with my Z06 and have a 335i as my daily. The M3 and Z are weekend cars and I feel they are both more special than the 335i. The 335i is quick though, no doubting that. It won't outrun my Z but with a few more mods it could likey kill it from a roll. No doubt the C5 interior is bad, but if I didn't feel the car was special I would sell it. That's not the case though and I plan to keep it.
If you can afford all 3 of those cars, you can afford to make your c5 interior nice.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

If you can afford all 3 of those cars, you can afford to make your c5 interior nice.
Maybe if I saw the value in it. I would like new seats but beyond that I don't care to have a bunch of mismatched pieces that don't belong there or flow with the car. A better steering wheel that is a touch smaller would be nice but seems impossible as losing my airbag is not something I care to do.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by FLZapped
Likewise. My son bought a new "retro" Mustang in it's first year of production. He's had handles fall off. All the lettering on the dash controls wipe away, the door panels are falling apart, the windows sometimes work right and recently, the top of his shifter **** broke off. So every manufacturer cuts corners to either save weight because of CAFE standards or to up their profit margin.

-Bruce
That's why Ford always has higher sales figures in their cars and trucks, because they are cheap. You get what you pay for and that's not much when it comes to Fords , but for some unknown reason people keep going back. I guess they love rust .

Quick Reply: Horrible interior