Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Brock63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone else done the TSB reflash? I am going to swing by this week if I have time as mine dropped to E twice...did not do it this tank so wonder if the steady driving for 2 hours from Full to 3/4 is the issue. The TSB wont hurt I guess...
Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 AM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock63
anyone else done the TSB reflash? I am going to swing by this week if I have time as mine dropped to E twice...did not do it this tank so wonder if the steady driving for 2 hours from Full to 3/4 is the issue. The TSB wont hurt I guess...
Will the dealer charge for the reflash? I'm wondering if it is something that they would do if I brought it in for an oil change...
Old 11-02-2014, 09:44 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default reflash

Originally Posted by Brock63
I had the reflash done, but I ended up having to remove and clean up the passenger side sending unit. I tried soaking it in Tectron just to see if it would clean the black residue off the gauge. It did not so I used lacquer thinner and it cleaned the black buildup off. I then polished of the face of the contacts with very fine sandpaper. reinstalled the unit and the gauge has worked perfectly ever since hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:43 AM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I spoke too soon. My wife took the 99 C5 into work. Had a few appt's with some big clients, decided to drive the Vette to them to properly "wow" the client.

On the way home, a mile from our house I get the call "Honey? The gas gauge just dropped to empty." I just filled the tank on Sunday, she'd only driven 140 miles or so.

Time to go put in another bottle of Techron in the morning!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Larry shire
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel sender problem

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Hi guys, as I posted last week, I just picked up a 2003 Z06.

Everything seems to work great on it except one thing. When the gas gauge reaches about 3/4 full (so only 1/4 tank burned), the gauge drops to 0 and I get a "check gage" light on the dash. Sometimes it comes back, other times it doesn't. Refilling brings the gauge back up to full.

I did a search and came up with an absurd amount of posts with C5 corvette owners complaining about the same problem. I've noticed some differentiation between what level of gas the gauge drops to 0 and displays error.

Reading through the various threads, it sounds like gas brand can potentially play a role as some brand have more sulfur content than others which causes these sending units to malfunction. Here are some recommended things to try:

a.) Always use Chevron gas and perform a few treatments of Techron Plus, Seafoam, or GM fuel injector cleaner. I tried my first bottle of Techron at the last fillup, but it didn't help. I'll do two more treatments just to be sure

b.) Reflash the computer at the dealer. Although this doesn't fix the problem, the reflash uses error settings that are less sensitive (wider fuel sending unit voltage window) compared to the original settings. I've heard mixed opinions about this.

c.) Clean the fuel sending units connections with electric parts cleaner (requires dropping the tank). This requires a lot of labor for something that might not help.

d.) Replace the sending units in both tanks. I've heard that GM quotes about $1700 parts + labor and this usually fixes the issue for some period of time but the problem sometimes resurfaces once those sending units accumulate sulfur again. The price seems outrageous.

A few questions:

1.) Does anyone know of any recalls/TSBs related to this problem that you can share (TSB number would be very helpful)

2.) Is there any GM parts warehouse where I can get the two sending units cheaper than the dealers?

3.) I notice that Rockauto.com and Oreillysauto.com are showing these units for cheap (about $50-60 each) from ACDelco, with warranty. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them? These seems to be significantly cheaper than the dealer (which we know suck). So disappointed in GM for these fuel sending units.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...make=Chevrolet

I'll give the Techron a chance with couple more treatments, but I don't anticipate this helping in the long run and I'm guessing that I will have to replace those sending units at some point.

Thanks,

Luke

Hi Luke,
I read your thread today.
I just spent $2300 to replace the two sender units(from Rock Auto) ans a main fuel pump.
My C6 had the same problem you mentioned. I could not drive my car in AZ because it would not pass the inspection due to the check engine light.The cost quoted was for manual trans. my cost was due to the automatic. (requires removing the rear trans axle to make the repair).
When they were in there, they found extremely mall craze(cracks) in the outlet from the pump. Rather than pay the $$$$for them to go in there again in the future, I bit the bullet and spent the $500.00 for the pump.
I have not found an SB or recall for this issue, but did find several other vehicle in the GM line that were recalled for the same problem, in the past. People who already had the vehicle fixed were reimbursed.I would like to get a response from Corvette owners, as to how many people have had the same problem, and the $amt they paid to have it fixed.
I do not think the gas is and issue.
1. I visually inspected the senders and found no deposits on the potentiometer
2.I tried the Chevron "fix" with no improvement.
3. We checked my senders(I asked them for all the parts for this issue). we were able to manually activate the senders and found that they were working (electrically) properly.
4. I inspected the fingers on the potentiometer and they were making contact and were not broken or bent.
I would like to query the Forum about this, and go to GM for reimbursement of my $$. Will you send me info about your experience.
Thanks,
Larry Shire
Lhshire@gmail.com
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,039 Likes on 550 Posts

hey, does it make sense to add techron as a preventative measure?
I have a 2000, and until now never had a single issue... multiple issues are starting to crop up now, maybe adding techron now will nip this one in the bud
Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 AM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JMG2
hey, does it make sense to add techron as a preventative measure?
I have a 2000, and until now never had a single issue... multiple issues are starting to crop up now, maybe adding techron now will nip this one in the bud
Yes it makes sense.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:23 PM
JayTee72
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Had this problem from Day 1 on my 98 C5. Tried Techron, made no difference. Turn the car off and on again and the problem goes away for a while. It was not permanently fixed until 2006 when the dealer reflashed the computer with updates. Has not happened since. I still chuck Techron in occasionally, mainly 'cos I typically run cheap gas - Costco or supermarket "off brand" - plus of course Costco regularly puts Techron on sale.
Was there any cost to you for the reflash? My '99 has also done it from day 1, but it ONLY goes out AFTER the engine has been running for an hour, exactly 1 hour. LOL Believe me, I've timed it several times. It has also gone out ONCE after some spirited driving....

Thanks......
Old 01-01-2015, 03:12 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Failed to read and note my previous post. I do not recall what charge if any was made for the TSB. It went in for something else as I recall. Not sure what now though.

Last edited by jackthelad; 01-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:58 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default reflash cost

Originally Posted by JayTee72
Was there any cost to you for the reflash? My '99 has also done it from day 1, but it ONLY goes out AFTER the engine has been running for an hour, exactly 1 hour. LOL Believe me, I've timed it several times. It has also gone out ONCE after some spirited driving....

Thanks......
the dealership charge me $20.00 for the reflash which I thought was reasonable.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My C5 dose it at 3/4 tank. Next start up its fine. Techron has not helped. I may try cleaning the sensors. My C6 has never done this. I may get the reflash as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:16 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It takes sometimes 4-5 treatments if it's particularly bad.
Every 2years I seem to need to go thru the process.

I actually drive my car, but I know many vetted are garage queens. I wonder if that contributes.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 PM
65stinger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, first time for.......at 3/4 tank, she went to zero. My plan, try techron for 3-4 tanks, if that don't work, I will remove passenger sending unit and clean......sound right to this audience?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65stinger
Well, first time for.......at 3/4 tank, she went to zero. My plan, try techron for 3-4 tanks, if that don't work, I will remove passenger sending unit and clean......sound right to this audience?
No, if you are going to go through the hassle of removing the sending unit(s), replace them. They are not expensive and cleaning them may or may not help. The labor on this is a BITCH
Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Please, please, get the reflash done before you do anything else, otherwise you are just wasting money, time and effort. I still chuck in a bottle of Techron every 3rd, 4th fill up, but I have never had the gas gauge problem since the reflash was done. And this on an almost 17 year old car with all original fuel senders, etc.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default for the new folks

Please, please, get the reflash done before you do anything else, otherwise you are just wasting money, time and effort. I still chuck in a bottle of Techron every 3rd, 4th fill up, but I have never had the gas gauge problem since the reflash was done. And this on an almost 17 year old car with all original fuel senders, etc.
Good tip.

But if U do want Techron Concentrated Plus check out...
www.amazon.com/dp/B0097SDUTE?tag=vig;ink20400.20
(pack of 6) 20oz $56.85

or W Mart 10oz for under $5 on sale right now (treats 15 gall per directions).
Old 09-21-2015, 05:02 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How much do the reflash cost?

Get notified of new replies

To Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0

Old 09-21-2015, 05:09 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by vettelover8306
How much do the reflash cost?
post 92
Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

You guys have gotten to me. I don't have the problem, never have, but I went to Wally World and bought Techron and just added it when I filled up.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
You guys have gotten to me. I don't have the problem, never have, but I went to Wally World and bought Techron and just added it when I filled up.
If you bought your Techron from Walmart and filled your tank with gas, you're not getting the benefit of Techron. Walmart sells the small bottle and treats less than what your gas tank holds. For most vehicles, you need to get the 20 ounce size of Techron or else you're putting in a diluted abount of product (i.e. too much soda not enough Vodka).

Quick Reply: Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0