Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife/fiance/girlfriend asks to drive your Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM
SFL_driver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girl friend thinks the vette is too low, too loud, and too impractical. To top it off she's never driven a manual... She won't be asking anytime soon.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06ster
My wife isn't all that into the car... but if she wanted to drive it, I'd be okay once I reviewed some important driving concepts about it:

1) Curbs, speed bumps need to be driven angled with slow speed
2) Beware of parking blocks that can screw up the front bumper
3) Don't try to parallel park or drive close along a curb or else the CCW's can get messed up.
4) Always park in the furthest distance of the parking lot
5) Have Fun!
Now your a good husband!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine One
These kinds of threads are always entertaining. My wife hasn't driven OUR Corvette, but only because she doesn't want to. I wish she would at least get some familiarization stick time.
The only reason I have the car is because when we took the test drive she said, "If you're going to get one of these, get this one."
We're partners, and best friends. We knew one another for around 12 years before we got together. We were also married for only four months when I deployed to Kuwait and then into Iraq in 2003.
This is way more important than any car:

Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
You guys really crack me up, what freeking complexes! My wife not only drives any Vette our family has owned but, has on occasion beat me at the Autocross events we have run. She also ran the 1st 12 second elapsed time in our C5 Z06 while I was still getting a handle on launching the car without axel hop. From our C6 Z06 to our 70LT-1 roadster that she claims as hers ( she did many jobs in its restoration and refers to it as her " birthday car " as it was bought on her birthday ) Corvettes are part of my wife's identity. I feel very fortunate that my wife is a true " Vette Gal " good luck to all of you who live with someone who doesn't share your enthusiasm about Corvettes I'm a very lucky man!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
My wife drives her own 2000 Mag Red 6spd manual Coupe.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsbbzm
nothing....I just hand her the keys.
Come on man, its just a car....
Another fine man!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Originally Posted by USAF
Mine doesn't ask.
She just takes it.
I'm fine with that

USAF
Old 03-09-2014, 05:42 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I don't let my wife drive my car, but my girlfriend takes it out all the time.

Kidding, I'm not married, but my girlfriend doesn't drive the vette. She's driven the built cougar, which is much scarier/tougher to drive than the vette, but I don't like her behind the wheel of the vette, if she wrecked/broke something she would never forgive herself no matter how much I told her it was okay
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatKart
That said, I don't understand peoples "Do you let them drive", you guys act like your wives are an irresponsible child...
I suspect most of them are afraid to find out that she's a better driver than they are.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 PM
versatile
Drifting

Sure, it's a car.
I let my daughter drive it last summer.
That was actually a bit scary
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM
1999Firehawkls1
Racer

How many of you are able to drive your car like ya just robbed a bank w your g/f or wife in the car?

My g/f will NOT ride w me again if I get crazy and it SUCKS!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls1
How many of you are able to drive your car like ya just robbed a bank w your g/f or wife in the car? My g/f will NOT ride w me again if I get crazy and it SUCKS!
I wish she'd let me, ever since I fishtailed around some corners she won't let me. Apparently it's "dangerous"
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Dcollins3208
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marine One
These kinds of threads are always entertaining. My wife hasn't driven OUR Corvette, but only because she doesn't want to. I wish she would at least get some familiarization stick time. The only reason I have the car is because when we took the test drive she said, "If you're going to get one of these, get this one." We're partners, and best friends. We knew one another for around 12 years before we got together. We were also married for only four months when I deployed to Kuwait and then into Iraq in 2003. This is way more important than any car:
That I agree with, and thank you for your service sir!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Firehawkls1
How many of you are able to drive your car like ya just robbed a bank w your g/f or wife in the car?

My g/f will NOT ride w me again if I get crazy and it SUCKS!
I haven't even exceeded 3000-3500rpm with my wife in the car... she told me that I don't need to floor it

My wife doesn't even have a clue how fast this car is; I laugh and explain that whenever I'm around and she tells people that I drive it hard all the time.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Eversor
Intermediate

My gf is absolutely terrified of it, she closes her eyes and covers her face with her hands with even mild driving. Guess she is just overly used to her Cobalt. Its hard to keep it 100% leashed all the time.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM
1999Firehawkls1
Racer

I have a problem w this crap, it ruins road trips and sucks all the fun out of it lol
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,663 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I let my ex drive it once... and only once... I still regret it

A good F-body friend of mine who sold his last firebird recently picked up an 84 C4 that were in the process of doing an LS swap in. The other night I had the Vette over at his house and he asked me if I could give his new girlfriend a ride in it since shes never been in anything fast and cant seem to grasp the concept of it all. I told her to hop in. Theres a nice section of twistys right down the road from his house followed by a long straight away. So I made small talk with her and drove threw it all normally and made a quick u turn to come back. I stopped long enough to get switch into competitive mode then asked her once we started rolling what the fastest thing she'd ever been in was. Her reply was "Well my brother has a civi... (flat footed gas at this point).. HOLY ****!" I took it up to about 110 by the end of the straight and hard braked into the first twisty and gave the suspension a good work out for the next few minutes. She was pretty terrified but seem to enjoy it. When we got out all she could say was "wow". Pretty funny stuff but now shes on board with the build the C4 project so all in all it worked out well

Get notified of new replies

To Wife/fiance/girlfriend asks to drive your Vette

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 AM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 210 Likes on 85 Posts

My wife drives it occasionally.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by GoatKart
I don't understand peoples "Do you let them drive", you guys act like your wives are an irresponsible child...
Sometimes spouses have different passions. As I said earlier, my wife makes beautiful quilts. She also makes gorgeous primitive rugs. She's always been very talented with things like that. She thinks my car is loud and obnoxious. Her first husband was a Corvette collector, which I think kind of soured her on cars. To be honest, I have no interest in her hobby and she has no interest in mine. It has nothing to do with her being irresponsible and has worked quite well for us for nearly 37 years.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
kjohnson
Advanced

My wife wont drive mine. She was going to and 3 days before she had an accident in her car so now she wont even give it a try.lol

Quick Reply: Wife/fiance/girlfriend asks to drive your Vette