Sponsored by:

I Need Your Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 AM
nhraracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Your Advice

I purchased a 2002 Corvette on Monday with 5,584 original miles. The car is showroom mint. I took it to our local emissions station so I can transfer ownership only to find out the computer isn`t ready or not supported. They told me I had to drive the car and put miles on it so the computer can re-program? We filled the gas tank and went on a 110 mile drive took it back to the emission station and, it failed again. I`m confused. The car is now locked out and I have to take it to a waiver station. I live in Az. So, you guys are very knowledgeable. What is my next step?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 AM
sunchaser73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first guess is that the computer wasn't ready. A 2002 should be supported for emissions tests. Any ideas why it wouldn't be ready? Battery disconnected, codes reset, etc.?

Did the technician indicate why it failed the retest? Was it the same reason?

It might be helpful to retrieve and post the DTCs via the DIC. If you aren't familiar with how to do that, take a look at this: http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm. For an emissions test, the "P" codes are of particular importance. Also, is the MIL illuminated when the engine is running?
Did you buy the car from an individual or a dealer? Either way, I would go back and ask them for any insight as to why it would fail emissions for the original reason or the subsequent retest failure.

Pull your codes, write them down (make sure you note "H" or "C")
Clear the codes and drive the car for a little while
Before shutting off the engine, pull your codes...compare them to your original list
Post up what you've got and someone on here should be able to help you

BTW...congrats on the new-to-you C5!
Don't let this stumble frustrate you!

For any future issues, always check for DTCs. If you have any, post them in a thread if you need help with an issue. Invariably, someone will ask you to do that anyway...just my 2 cents...

And if you already knew some of this, my apologies...

Hope this helps

Last edited by sunchaser73; 03-05-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM
hougland
Advanced

Originally Posted by sunchaser73
My first guess is that the computer wasn't ready. A 2002 should be supported for emissions tests. Any ideas why it wouldn't be ready? Battery disconnected, codes reset, etc.?

It might be helpful to retrieve and post the DTCs via the DIC. If you aren't familiar with how to do that, take a look at this: http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm. For an emissions test, the "P" codes are of particular importance. Also, is the MIL illuminated when the engine is running?
Did you buy the car from an individual or a dealer? Either way, I would go back and ask them for any insight as to why it would fail emissions for the original reason or the subsequent retest failure.

Before shutting off the engine, pull your codes...compare them to your original list

For any future issues, always check for DTCs. If you have any, post them in a thread if you need help with an issue. Invariably, someone will ask you to do that anyway...just my 2 cents...

Hope this helps
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm fairly certain that all C5s are 50-state legal. Starting in 2001, the emissions sticker under the hood includes "and California", but that is a moot point for the OP. I'm sure a list of your codes will reveal the culprit.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by sunchaser73

Hope this helps
I bought the car from a private party. The OBD readiness monitors status are as follows;

HEATED CAT; NOT SUPPORTED
EGR; NOT SUPPORTED
02 SENSOR; READY
HEATED 02; NOT READY
AIR SYSTEM; NOT READY
AIR CONDITIONER; NOT SUPPORTED
CATALYST; READY
EVAP SYSTEM; NOT READY
The OBD2 system is NOT READY as reported by the vehicles on board computer. As I stated, I drove the car approx. 110 miles yesterday and nothing changed. I was told with the low miles the computer has lost its memory due to maybe a low battery and just not being driven enough. In other words, put more miles on it?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive it for a while and they should go ready. I use my Actron scanner to get this data from the car so I KNOW it will pass when I go in. You'll have to get below 1/2 tank of gas for the EVAP test to run.

Any time the power is disconnected or ANY CODES CLEARED, the I/M monitors reset.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Get us the codes and we can help. You may have some old H codes that are not really a present issue. It would be great if you could record all the pre existing codes and then clear/remove/reset them. Then drive or at least stat the car and then pull your codes and post what you first pulled and what showed up after clearing them.

For future reference: Many codes will show up as history (H) and not current (C) if you don't pull them while the engine is still running.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:32 AM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Drive it for a while and they should go ready. I use my Actron scanner to get this data from the car so I KNOW it will pass when I go in. You'll have to get below 1/2 tank of gas for the EVAP test to run.

Any time the power is disconnected or ANY CODES CLEARED, the I/M monitors reset.
So what is the average miles I may have to drive it for the computer to reset itself? On the first test the car had 1/4 tank of gas. The second test it had 3/4 tank of gas.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Get us the codes and we can help. You may have some old H codes that are not really a present issue. It would be great if you could record all the pre existing codes and then clear/remove/reset them. Then drive or at least stat the car and then pull your codes and post what you first pulled and what showed up after clearing them.

For future reference: Many codes will show up as history (H) and not current (C) if you don't pull them while the engine is still running.
I do not have the codes. How can I retrieve them?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:37 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nhraracer
DO a search 100's of posts on getting the codes from the DIC on the dash. Not you issue though and if you clear any codes this way, your back at square one. Search on "GM Drive Cycle" to find the EXACT things that will get the I/M's to run (almost impossible to do if your trying just to get them all to run at one drive).

Within 100 or so miles of normal city/highway driving the I'm will run. If your battery is weak, they could be getting reset every time you restart.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
nhraracer
Instructor

So what is the average miles I may have to drive it for the computer to reset itself? On the first test the car had 1/4 tank of gas. The second test it had 3/4 tank of gas.
BTW, I do have an Actron CP9125 OBDII pocket scanner. But it only read if the engine light is on.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 AM
vetone86
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here you go....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ion-files.html
Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM
SVTBAIT
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

We have a similar testing here. The way i see it, there are two options:

1) Drive the car enough to get the car to read "ready". A car not being ready does not mean there is a problem. Google how to get a car "ready".

2) Get a friend with HP Tuners to change all the parameters that need to set as ready to "read, but do not report", or along those lines.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Ok. I think I got it now. Thanks for ALL your help. I appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetone86
Great video. I`m going out to check mine. Stay tuned.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetone86
Ok. My car has codes;

AO LDCM; B2264H, B2262H, B2284H, B2282H, B2252H, U1064H
A1 RDCM; B2285H, B2283H
A6 SCM; U1255H

I did not clear them. Not sure if I should.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo

A1 RDCM; B2285H, B2283H
A6 SCM; U1255H

Apparently they are all old codes. I did not erase them. Should I?

Get notified of new replies

To I Need Your Advice

Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by hougland

Here are the codes showing.

A1 RDCM; B2285H, B2283H
A6 SCM; U1255H

I did not clear them.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

BTW, I do have an Actron CP9125 OBDII pocket scanner. But it only read if the engine light is on.
You can get I/M readiness with what you have, see the 3rd bullet point:
http://actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16298

REMEMBER, you clear ANY codes with the DIC, ALL your I/M's reset!!! The DIC will show much more than the ACTRON will but it will NOT show I/M readiness, your Actron will, SO read the instructions for it.

Last edited by 3boystoys; 03-05-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM
nhraracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
You can get I/M readiness with what you have, see the 3rd bullet point:
http://actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16298

REMEMBER, you clear ANY codes with the DIC, ALL your I/M's reset!!! The DIC will show much more than the ACTRON will but it will NOT show I/M readiness, your Actron will, SO read the instructions for it.
My car has codes;

A1 RDCM; B2285H, B2283H
A6 SCM; U1255H

These came up on the on board system. I`m assuming they are HISTORY codes and not current.

I did not clear them. Not sure if I should.

Quick Reply: I Need Your Advice