Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy automotive leather hides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Where to buy automotive leather hides?

Looking to pick up some red leather to do the inserts in my door panels in red (Not on a Vette). What are some reputable online vendors to buy from?
Old 02-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,435 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you want some excellent quality leather, try contacting Vette Essentials and see if they will sell you just the leather.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:19 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

leatherseats.com
I purchased my seat covers from them about 7 or 8 years ago and they still look great. They also sell leather hides 1/4, 1/2 or whole hide in various colors, I keep saying I'm going to buy a 1/2 hide to match my seats and do the bottom of the doors and the knee bolster and glove box, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:39 AM
Hombre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing looks as good as leather in car interiors. Buying leather can be a trying ordeal though. If you are going to try and match some existing leather in the car now, you need to know that is not just one red. There are in leather hides over 40 reds, be sure that when you do pick a vendor talk to them and get some samples swatchs. There also are dozens of different textures to leather upholstery. Once again you need samples before you buy.

As to how much leather to buy? Leather comes in hides, Full, Half, and Quarters. Buy more than you need up front so that you wont have to try and color match again, another words get all you need and be sure it is from the same color lot. Price wise a good upholstery grade hide is sold be the square foot. A full hide runs in the 45 to 50 sq ft range with an average size being right at 48 sq ft. it is also sold by the sq ft so plan on paying any where from $6.25 to $8.00 a sq ft. So an average full hide at 48 sq ft and a middle price will run you a little short of $400.00.

Also you need to know that the hides come just as the word says HIDES. It will not be a square piece of leather. you will have to figure all of your cuts around this irregular shape, you also will have to cut around all of the scar's and any holes in the hide, and there are always some of both.

Here is a small list of leather hide dealers, a simple search will turn up dozens more. And remember cheap is sometimes just that Cheap.

http://www.theleatherguy.org/UPHOLST...-sq-15880.aspx

http://www.justleather.com/

http://www.waterhouseleather.com/uph...ther_hides.htm

Roland

Last edited by Hombre; 02-28-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy automotive leather hides?

Quick Reply: Where to buy automotive leather hides?