Sponsored by:

C5 1997 Instrument cluster removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:26 PM
emtprescue
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 1997 Instrument cluster removal and replacement

Does anyone have knowledge on just the R+R of the instrument cluster on my 1997 C5 manual transmission Corvette? I have searched for threads that speak exclusively to just removing and replacing the instrument cluster on my car with no luck so far. There is a very good one that was posted to give instruction on how to install or retrofit for HUD. It does have instructions on how to remove the instrument cluster but by that time, the thread has already instructed a person to remove the center console and the entire dash. Do both the center console and dash need to be removed to R+R the instrument cluster or can the cluster be removed in a more simplistic manner?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Checkout the gauge bezel install instructions on the Vette Essentials web site. Very good instructions with detailed pics.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:12 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by emtprescue
Does anyone have knowledge on just the R+R of the instrument cluster on my 1997 C5 manual transmission Corvette? I have searched for threads that speak exclusively to just removing and replacing the instrument cluster on my car with no luck so far. There is a very good one that was posted to give instruction on how to install or retrofit for HUD. It does have instructions on how to remove the instrument cluster but by that time, the thread has already instructed a person to remove the center console and the entire dash. Do both the center console and dash need to be removed to R+R the instrument cluster or can the cluster be removed in a more simplistic manner?
There's detailed instructions in the HUD threads, but basically, you need to remove the center dash bezel, the driver's side knee bolster, and then drop the two bolts that hold the steering column. up against the dash. The steering column will drop down several inches making the cluster easy to remove. No need to remove the dash pad.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
emtprescue
Cruising

Thanks Vetteman Jack for the suggestion to look at the Vette Essentials website. You were correct in their very explicit, step by step instructions with photo array on the entire procedure. Looks like I will be removing the centre console and lower dash knee pads after all. Owe well, I guess I will make this into a four beer project instead of a one beer undertaking. As always, this site and it's accumulated wealth of knowledge has been invaluable.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Default A helpful hint before you start

Be sure to have your telescoping steering wheel extended all the way out before you disconnect the battery. Thereafter you can unhook the driver's seat under-seat electrical connections.

If your steering wheel isn't fully extended, you may not have enough space with which to remove, without risking scratching something, the instrument cluster from its dash housing.

I have now mastered the art of removing my gauge cluster, and the above suggestion is key.

FYI, I follow the following Vettessentials instructions when doing this task: http://www.vetteePssentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

The Lizzard
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
Be sure to have your telescoping steering wheel extended all the way out before you disconnect the battery. Thereafter you can unhook the driver's seat under-seat electrical connections.

If your steering wheel isn't fully extended, you may not have enough space with which to remove, without risking scratching something, the instrument cluster from its dash housing.

I have now mastered the art of removing my gauge cluster, and the above suggestion is key.

FYI, I follow the following Vettessentials instructions when doing this task: http://www.vetteePssentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

The Lizzard
How hard was it to remove the gauge bezel connection up under the dash? I hear there isn't much room to manuver and you have to go by feel. Can you actually see the connection?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:26 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chipscvettec5
How hard was it to remove the gauge bezel connection up under the dash? I hear there isn't much room to manuver and you have to go by feel. Can you actually see the connection?
It's not particularly difficult to disconnect that harness. In fact, you can partially remove the gauge cluster from the dash (after you have disconnected the HUD harness which, by the way, is a straight pull-out since it has no clips which hold it in place) and afterwards disconnect that harness. The harness connects on the left side of the gauge cluster, so swing the cluster to the left side of the steering column when you are removing it - the harness will be visible.

The Lizzard

Get notified of new replies

To C5 1997 Instrument cluster removal and replacement

Quick Reply: C5 1997 Instrument cluster removal and replacement