Sponsored by:

What made you choose your current C5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought the newest Vette with the lowest miles I could afford in 2008.

1- convertible.

2- manual transmission.

3- black paint. Black paint looks awesome and is easy to match without blending into other panels if a boo boo should happen.

4- contrasting color interior. The wife veto'd red so it had to be either gray or tan.

5- all the options including adjustable ride.

After 6 months of searching I located a car within driving distance that met all my criteria and bought it. If I had custom ordered a Vette brand new in 2002 it would of been exactly the car I ended up buying used.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been particularly fond of the body style of the C5's every since they first came out. But as with all major purchases, there are a whole host of factors that come into play, some of which are really hard to completely and accurately define. Some factors are a gut feel kind of thing. This car, our first C5, isn't at all what I had in mind for myself. I was looking for a black on black six speed base model coupe, available locally and in very good condition. All that said, here are the reasons I picked a pewter w/light oak convertible automatic:

Wife's into it and backed me on the choice.
Financing fell into place in literally minutes over the phone.
Payment and terms better than I expected.
Priced right.
Excellent condition.
Known recent history.
Dealer has perfect scores on ebay (where I found it) and cars.com.
Selling dealer is in Greenville, South Carolina, where we have family.
Wife's parents, sister, nephew, and niece are 45 minutes from selling dealer (makes for an easy visit).
My company is paying for my flight to Greenville rather than Houston like they usually do.
Gives us the opportunity for a nice road trip driving it home.
Gives the wife a little time to hit the slots in Mobile when we're blowin' through (I'll be in the parking garage waxing the car....again).
This won't be my daily driver so I can treat her like a queen.
I will have a very nice C5 to drive while I work on my '92 vert to get it ready to start NCRS judging.
I proved to not be as stuck on black/black/coupe/6 speed as I thought I was.
I just freakin' like this car....a lot.

And that's all why we're getting this particular C5. Sometimes everything just falls into place like it did this time, and I'm not one to turn such opportunities down.

Last edited by Wendell Allen; 02-17-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Add to post.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 AM
j.grif
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have wanted a corvette for at least the last 15 years, I was looking at c4's but seen this mag red 6 spd on eBay from a local dealer, it was a one owner car and had a decent car fax, It was a classified with make offer, I offered something that I thought the dealer would refuse, short story, the vette is in my garage and I love it, the wife didn't say a word!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

It was stock (Flowmasters only) but it was the test drive

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-17-2014, 09:35 AM
darnplumber
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wanted a Vette and when it was time, I started my initial search for a C4 because of the price point. But it didn't take long to realize that the cockpit was too small for me so I increased the budget to a C5. I eventually found the perfect '02 and the rest is history. I wanted a car that I could enjoy driving on the weekends. My C5 with a 6-speed and all the bells fits the bill. It's very comfortable, a blast to drive and has a great back side!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Red rag
Burning Brakes

Received 932 Likes on 458 Posts

Because after FOREVER, I finally had some cash and could afford one. I bought the first one I drove (ever). I couldn't help it! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:57 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rag
Because after FOREVER, I finally had some cash and could afford one. I bought the first one I drove (ever). I couldn't help it! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
mine also was the first corvette I ever drove, a 97
Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 PM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a sucker for a pretty face and a shapely body
Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Red rag
Burning Brakes

Received 932 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by kennedy759
mine also was the first corvette I ever drove, a 97
That's awesome
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM
cptnnice
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always promised myself I would purchase one when I reached a point in life to afford one without compromising my lifestyle. When I did get to that point, I felt guilty because it was during the time people were losing their homes. Wanted either an atomic orange or black, however could not take my eyes off artic white convertible. Feels like the first time every time I ride her
Old 02-17-2014, 07:13 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They were cheap and had manual trans
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM
john 72-04
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It was Feb. 2010. Time for a new car for my wife. We were at the local Chevy dealer looking at Camaro's. Test drove a few and was getting serious in negotiations on a new one. Didn't really want to spend that much money and wasn't all that crazy about the car to begin with. I looked around and couldn't find my wife. I found her looking at a pre owned C6 that they had on the show room floor for some reason. All the sudden I had a brainstorm. I am a factory rep. for a car company and one of my dealers that I call on had a 04 Spiral Grey Metallic coupe they had on the lot for a long time just sitting. I gatered up my wife and told her I had something I wanted to show her before we pull the trigger on a new Camaro. Told the salesman I had to think about it and off we went. We pulled up on the lot where the 04 coupe was and I asked my wife , do you like that car ? She answered that she loved it , let's drive it. We took it for a ride and we were hooked. Paid a great price for it as it had been there for six months and was getting ready to go back to the auction. Here we are four years later and about 35k miles later and we still love the car. Saved allot of money and got a better car. So to answer the question , because we got it cheap , we loved it as soon as we drove it , and it was convenient. Great car love it !
Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did I buy it? Best looking supercar on the planet. Duh.........Sleeker than the Veyron, sexier than a Ferrari, it's the American dream personified to me, and Im a Brit living the dream

Last edited by asjwalsh; 02-17-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Forgot the reason I bought it
Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Tingan
Heel & Toe

2. Manual 6 speed 2001
3. Red w.Red interior
4. Low miles
5. Imported from the us as "moving-goods" = No exhaustregulation

1. C5 is AWESOME
Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,681 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Back in '06 is when I started getting the bug. Never really concidered them before as I always thought they were out of my price range. After my brother in law got his 2nd one, my wife started looking and found our first one. It was a '95 tripe black and fit the budget. About a year after we bought that one I found our recent one. Bought it for the color and really nothing else. Wish it had a couple more options but it's been a great car so far. Hope to never get rid of this one. We love it.

This is shortly before we sold the '95 and before the '98 had any "improvements" done to it. My wife still blames me for selling "her" '95 though.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 PM
savageone
Cruising

retirement present for myself six years ago,love it
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
MiRatlhed
C5R
Support Corvetteforum!

Went to test drive a couple early 70's C3 cars and then realized I was waaaay too tall for a C3. Never did any homework on the C5's but he had mine sitting there and she was a beauty. Did not realize they were as cheap as they were and test drove it that day.

Sold, loved it. Comfort, performance, STYLE.....haha Always wanted a Corvette ever since I was a child. We had a local dealer who always had a big ole line up out front and I would just gaze at them every time we passed by. Still want a C3 for a toy but I will never sell my C5 unless I trade it for a Z06. This is my only shortcoming of the whole deal. Should of done more homework and I would not of jumped on my 97. I would of rather paid a bit more and went with a 01-04 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To What made you choose your current C5?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

The seller was a mere 5 miles from my house... couldn't be easier.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:56 AM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a kid my big brother had a 66 coupe and he use to let me ride around with him. Getting into a c5 reminds me of sitting in his car. Big round gages ... the way the dash wraps around ...

It's kinda hard to explain.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

price to benefit, only other cars i considered were evo8's and sti's

haven't had a z06 before, wanted one back when they first came out. found one in nice condition for a good deal, bought it, figure i'll run 40k miles or so on it in the next 5 years and dump it

Quick Reply: What made you choose your current C5?