Sponsored by:

Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 AM
C5 Mojo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger Question

Hi! I bought a 'vette that is supercharged. Not what I was really looking for, but limited offerings in tri-black C5's (favorite generation). At any rate, I understand I should have the fluid changed when I change the oil. Who does this? Would the dealership? Thanks so much.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 AM
Soul per4mance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of supercharger? This a self contained unit like a v3. .? If so you could save your cash and do it yourself in about 10 min tops.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:39 AM
C5 Mojo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Soul per4mance
What type of supercharger? This a self contained unit like a v3. .? If so you could save your cash and do it yourself in about 10 min tops.
Hmmmm. I'm not up on superchargers at all. Just came with the car. A ProCharger. It's got twin inter (inner?) coolers down in the front. Hehehehe…no, I don't change my own fluids - that's what dealerships are for - right? But will the dealership change that fluid along with the oil? Thanks much for your response.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Soul per4mance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5 Mojo
Hmmmm. I'm not up on superchargers at all. Just came with the car. A ProCharger. It's got twin inter (inner?) coolers down in the front. Hehehehe…no, I don't change my own fluids - that's what dealerships are for - right? But will the dealership change that fluid along with the oil? Thanks much for your response.
Pro charger. If it's the p-1 unit it is self contained and requires special supercharger oil which almost all oil change shops do not carry. It has to be ordered online. Not if you have the D1unit, it shares oil with your engine. Any regular oil change meets its needs.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:56 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

This is going to end badly, if the OP doesn't find a "real" shop that knows what it's supposed to do since the OP doesn't want to do it.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Pro charger. If it's the p-1 unit it is self contained and requires special supercharger oil which almost all oil change shops do not carry. It has to be ordered online. Not if you have the D1unit, it shares oil with your engine. Any regular oil change meets its needs.
This is not correct - the D1SC is still self contained and does not feed off the engine oil!

OP can you take a look at the name on your Supercharger and take a picture?

It will really help us to take a look at it and determine the "CORRECT" process you will need to take - plus post this for us in the Forced Induction section too!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

You can always call or PM me too: 661-406-7516

I run a D1SC Procharger and have for a long time!

I can answer any questions you have on your Vette and F/I set-up!

Changing the oil on the Procharger is not that bad to do and they also make a drain kit to make it even easier to change!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
C5 Mojo
Heel & Toe

Thank you for the replies. I don't know how to "insert" a picture so I'm going to try to add it to My Garage under Avatar. Then Installation Guide name is Stage II Intercooled System.

Edited: Well adding pic to "garage" was a FAIL. I'm not doing something right.

Last edited by C5 Mojo; 02-11-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 AM
C5 Mojo
Heel & Toe

I know for a fact the oil in it has to be changed separately. I just don't know where to get it changed.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I would change it every other oil change you can do it yourself. I don't think the op is a wrencher but that's ok. On the d1sc you should see a drain plug on the underside and a fill area with dipstick on top. As others have said you need procharger oil I'm sure a speed shop in your area has some or you can order it. Where are you located at maybe we can recommend a shop. If you bought a c5 SC car you may want to get handy with the garage and tools because it will be costly down the road if things start to happen and your unsure how to fix them.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:04 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First mistake: Going to a dealership [AKA Stealership] for an oil change. If you don't want to do it yourself, find a reliable shop that does a lot of corvettes.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM
C5 Mojo
Heel & Toe

Doug Rippie's shop here in Minnesota had worked on my other 'vettes, but I didn't want to drive that far for a simple oil change. I'll ask my local mechanic who works on a lot of 'vettes if he can do it. He'll probably laugh when I ask him. Ha! I just figured a dealership SHOULD for sure know how.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Remember this...it's a Corvette, it's special, it's yours so, if you have to drive a few extra miles for the proper care and workmanship, you'll be glad you did. STAY AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIPS? For the most part they don't have a clue how to work on Corvettes.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5 Mojo
Doug Rippie's shop here in Minnesota had worked on my other 'vettes, but I didn't want to drive that far for a simple oil change. I'll ask my local mechanic who works on a lot of 'vettes if he can do it. He'll probably laugh when I ask him. Ha! I just figured a dealership SHOULD for sure know how.
They didn't come factory SC on the c5 so the dealer probably would be like wtf? and if they did I guarantee they will over charge you.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
They didn't come factory SC on the c5 so the dealer probably would be like wtf? and if they did I guarantee they will over charge you.
The dealership would say...How much money do you have, cause we charge a lot. Oh, nevermind how much you got...we're still going to charge you a lot anyway.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would NEVER take THAT car to a chevy dealership.

A stock car is perfectly fine to take to a dealership, if you've got the money to spend.

Supercharging a corvette involves modifying quite a few things, things that dealerships will NOT be familiar with, especially since GM does not sell a lot of F/I cars in the first place.

Also, be mindful that the following parts of the car are likely NOT stock, and so any issues with them should NOT be taken to the dealership:

Clutch
Transmission/differential(maybe)
PCV system (crankcase breather)
Fuel system
Exhaust (Its likely that the car doesn't have catalytic converters anymore)
PCM (computer)

Especially the PCM. The car has a custom tune and has been configured for your car and only your car. Don't let a dealership touch the computer or apply any software updates etc. If the car starts running rough, or lean, or rich, etc., find a performance corvette shop, they will have to look at the tune and adjust it.

Welcome to the corvette family btw! A supercharged corvette is an awesome machine, beware, because I'm sure you've already found out that a supercharged corvette's speed is limited mostly by how much traction your tires have

Don't let all this stuff make you think the car isn't reliable. It is, its just a little different that stock. You can post questions in the "Forced Induction / Nitrous" forum and get better answers on supercharger related questions and issues. There are different brands with different needs, which is why people are trying to figure out exactly what you have!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Adrians99FRC
Instructor

I changed the oil on my v3 the other day

pretty simple and doesnt take long

wait til you have to take the supercharger off to change the belt .. did it the other day, not fun at all

look on the supercharger and find out what type it is (there should be a metal id tag on it) then do a search and find out what needs to be done

if your going to pay someone to do everything to the car then go find a good performance shop .. maybe even one that installs superchargers, etc and have them do it

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger Question

Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Never use the dealer, seek a reputable local shop who has worked on Corvettes etc. These shops exist, just do some homework.
The regional section on Corvette Forum is a good place to ask.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You bought this car because it was the right color combo you were looking for! Not even thinking that it is Supercharged, or even doing a little research as to what you are buying and getting yourself into? You don't have the slightest clue what you bought!

You Sir are definitely the brightest bulb in the box! Hope you enjoy your new car that you know nothing about!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Clown to the rescue as usual lol

Quick Reply: Supercharger Question