[Z06] Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
C6 shifter for me.

The shifts feel super smooth and the **** is very comfortable, fits perfectly in my palm.

If you go with MGW shifter then definitely look into a C6 ****, youll love it.
I have a retrofitted C6 **** from Corvette Mods for my C5-threaded MTI it is a nice piece, I ordered mine in the suede
Old 01-30-2014, 10:05 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a MGW brand new then get the shifter box from MGW it is better than a stock box.
I bought a brand new shifter in dec. of 2012 and installed into my stock z06 box w/ the anti-venom mod. felt great no complaints then in fall of 2013 MGW came out with there new box . so I sold my 1 year old shifter because it does not work with the new box and purchased a new shifter and box, it made the shifts noticeably better plus stock boxes wear out fast . Mgw uses nylon washers instead of the rubber in the stock box so they don't break down under the heat.
Call George at MGW he will answer any quest.

Steve

Last edited by machz800ps; 01-30-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
subzero05
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love the B&M in mine!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:55 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned a couple of short shifters. In the end what is in my car is a cut down stocker I modified. I cut most of the keyed threads off the top. I also separated it, removed the rubber isolator and cut down the middle. I then heated it and bent it back a bit.

Still feels pretty much as smooth as stock, but way less throw.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 PM
inteness
2nd Gear

I have the MGW it is the only shifter I will ever buy...works flawlessly just ordered the lower box to replace my stocker..
Old 01-31-2014, 01:18 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the TPS 427x C5 C6 short shifter in mine with the anti-venom mod and it works great. Great price too!!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 AM
nbelingheri
Instructor

Originally Posted by machz800ps
If you buy a MGW brand new then get the shifter box from MGW it is better than a stock box. I bought a brand new shifter in dec. of 2012 and installed into my stock z06 box w/ the anti-venom mod. felt great no complaints then in fall of 2013 MGW came out with there new box . so I sold my 1 year old shifter because it does not work with the new box and purchased a new shifter and box, it made the shifts noticeably better plus stock boxes wear out fast . Mgw uses nylon washers instead of the rubber in the stock box so they don't break down under the heat. Call George at MGW he will answer any quest. Steve
Are you still using the anti-venom mod with the new shifter and box?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

What is the anti-venom mod and why do you have to replace the stock lower box?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Torque Obsessed
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

The MTI six-shooter shifter was one of my first mods after buying my C5Z. Over a year later, I still love it. Gonna look into the anti-venom mod too...
Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed
The MTI six-shooter shifter was one of my first mods after buying my C5Z. Over a year later, I still love it. Gonna look into the anti-venom mod too...

Got both, no regrets
Old 01-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Camss57
Racer

I tried the MTI in mine and it rattled like crazy. Switched to a B&M Sport shifter and I really like it. I don't have any rattles and I like the feel and shifter height.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Camss57
I tried the MTI in mine and it rattled like crazy. Switched to a B&M Sport shifter and I really like it. I don't have any rattles and I like the feel and shifter height.
That's what I heard about it and I don't like rattles AT ALL!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Ive been running a Ralco shifter for about a year and some change maybe more and I love it. The shifts are crisp. Didnt have to modify anything for it to not rattle (to this day it still doesnt rattle at all). I use it with the stock Shift **** and use the one they gave me when Im just driving around since it makes the interior look way better also.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 PM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang
Ive been running a Ralco shifter for about a year and some change maybe more and I love it. The shifts are crisp. Didnt have to modify anything for it to not rattle (to this day it still doesnt rattle at all). I use it with the stock Shift **** and use the one they gave me when Im just driving around since it makes the interior look way better also.
Looks good and I love the **** color too.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Camss57
Weird. No rattling at all from mine. There's auditory feedback if I rest a hand on the **** while accelerating, but if I'm just driving with my hand on the wheel or armrest, there's no noise from the shifter. Of course, the car is H/C/I/bolt-ons, so I'm not sure how much noise I'd notice anyway.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I had my Z for about a year before I swapped in a complete C6 Z06 assembly that I bought used on this Forum. I mostly disliked the shift **** on the C5. The C6 **** is much more ergonomic and better looking IMHO. I've had the C6 shifter on for almost 3 years now and it has been great. Much better feel, shorter throw, tighter, more accurate shifts. Just picked up a used mid generation MGW shifter on the Forum last week and hope to install it soon. I had an opportunity to get a tour of the MGW shop a few years ago when I bought some tires from the owner and I've wanted an MGW shifter ever since. The craftsmanship that goes into those shifters is second to none. Truly an engineering marvel, especially for the price. If I like the used MGW as much as I think I will I'll be upgrading to a complete new unit, including their lower box, next year.
Bottom line, for the price used on the Forum the C6 shifters are a big improvement and really hard to beat, especially if you go with the C6 **** as well. Ultimately though I'm thinking that the MGW shifters are the best available for our cars.

Last edited by Zmeister; 02-02-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: stupid spelling correction!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zmeister
I had my Z for about a year before I swapped in a complete C6 Z06 assembly that I bought used on this Forum. I mostly disliked the shift **** on the C5. The C6 know is much more ergonomic and better looking IMHO. I've had the C6 shifter on for almost 3 years now and it has been great. Much better feel, shorter throw, tighter, more accurate shifts. Just picked up a used mid generation MGW shifter on the Forum last week and hope to install it soon. I had an opportunity to get a tour of the MGW shop a few years ago when I bought some tires from the owner and I've wanted an MGW shifter ever since. The craftsmanship that goes into those shifters is second to none. Truly an engineering marvel, especially for the price. If I like the used MGW as much as I think I will I'll be upgrading to a complete new unit, including their lower box, next year.
Bottom line, for the price used on the Forum the C6 shifters are a big improvement and really hard to beat, especially if you go with the C6 **** as well. Ultimately though I'm thinking that the MGW shifters are the best available for our cars.
Yup, I was planning to buy the MGW, but pounced on a used MTI instead

The MGW certainly is a nice piece

Get notified of new replies

To Shifters

Old 02-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Camss57
Racer

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Weird. No rattling at all from mine. There's auditory feedback if I rest a hand on the **** while accelerating, but if I'm just driving with my hand on the wheel or armrest, there's no noise from the shifter. Of course, the car is H/C/I/bolt-ons, so I'm not sure how much noise I'd notice anyway.
I had the latest and greatest version. I put the shifter in last fall and I got it direct from MTI. I could rev the car up at idle and the shifter would rattle. Anything over 2700 RPM under load and it would rattle as well. I'm glad your happy with yours. Perhaps I got a bad one? All I know is the B&M I replaced it with made me happy.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

The custom shifter from Core-shifters uses Hurst internals and retro chrome stick... and has the shorter throw of the C6 stock shifter with no spring loading of the Hurst billet shifter..

I mainly got this one because I like the retro look of the Hurst stick, but it also provides enough leverage so it is not more difficult to get into 5th and reverse.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no experience with a MGW in a Vette but had one for several years in my SVT Cobra. It was awesome but I will warn of one issue with their shift *****. They get very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. The black coating on the **** isn't thick enough to insulate it for your hand. It is also a bit bulky so I am interested in the non threaded handle with a C6 ****. How does it attach?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shifters