Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C 5 Quality Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:41 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Corvette overall has been very reliable. I've put over 60k miles on it and had it ~10 yrs so far and let's see...

1. EBCM module repaired
2. PVC valve replaced which also caused leaky rear main seal later on.
3. Reverse lockout solenoid - Due to aftermarket shifter I think
4. New radiator cap.
5. Turn signal bulb
6. 2 battery replacements

That's it really, I've kept up maintenance with several Transmission, Radiator, Diff, Clutch fluid changes and 1 belt change.
The original clutch only had issues after I had it tuned and made 386rwhp.

I'm actually just now having to replace the ORIGINAL brakes, which I find most amusing.

Last edited by dagon138; 01-24-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
here we go.... well, All I can say is I have a 98 with 60,000 on it and love it. Need to do some minor little things like replace the lumbar cushion, got a pass window reg starting to go and prob going to replace the drivers seat foam soon. But the car is 16 years old things are going to wear out and over all the car looks and drives like it was 16 months old.
Funny thing is that you flat out admit to not doing any research before your purchase and want to compare a 15 year old cars reliability to a brand new 2014 I am pretty sure that there are going to be common things that fail on the 2014 vette or any 2014 vehicle come the year 2029. Who in their right mind goes out and buys a 15 year old car and doesn't expect to have to fix a few things here and there on it? Honestly it sounds like your issues are all very minor things except for the tranny which well who knows how it was maintained before you purchased the car. question though did you by the car with all these IMO little issues? I totally get the idea of not wanting to ever mess with or do anything more than change the fluids on a vehicle and if thats the case all you gotta do is sell off that thing you hate so much and go plop down $50-$60k minimum and gettcha a new one
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Every internet forum you visit you'll find a whole laundry list of issues and complaints, doesn't matter year make or price paid.

Guys - I just bought a $50,000+ 2014 Sierra fully loaded, brand new. I have really no issues w/ mine other than bringing it in for a recall, know what the recall was? Not enough fuel getting to the cats while using remote start and idling, trucks were bursting in flames.

Also other members are complaining of:

rear sliding window failures
terrible FM radio reception (mine isn't good and is worse than my Z)
front seats rocking and clicking
pistons misfiring
sloppy/clunky transmission (there's a TSB)
high pitched noise from dash when in 4WD
trucks not turning over/starting
power steering failures
etc etc etc

This is on a wayyyy more advanced brand new more expensive vehicle that was just designed.

So basically, shut up about the C5.

Wanna feel even better about it? Google or look on a nissan GTR forum....
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
OneMoreVet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope this 04 I bought as a Christmas present to myself doesn't get moody. Previous owner said the car never gave him any problems. Gonna stay positive.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
MilSpecLabs
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has had less issues than my 06 Super Duty. It does need attention though. I'm going to do the grounding fix before it becomes an issue. The headlight motors will get new gears this year also before they become an issue.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 AM
cmark84
Instructor

Every car has their issues. It's how well you maintain it as well as the quality of that car's parts and assembly.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by MilSpecLabs
Mine has had less issues than my 06 Super Duty. It does need attention though. I'm going to do the grounding fix before it becomes an issue. The headlight motors will get new gears this year also before they become an issue.
LOL I just purchased my C5 Z a couple weeks ago, put maybe 60 miles on it, and when I brought it home the passenger headlight motor went out, it only has 13,000 miles hahaha I expected it, to go, the question was when. I'm happy it happened right away because I have a 90 day warranty from the dealer I purchased it from, but I think the brass gears are a must do.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

hmmmm- I wonder if thats why we keep seeing them crash
Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cessna10
I dont know how much truth there is to it but there
are rumors of some front end issues with the 2014
which chevrolet is denying.
Meant to quote this for the above....

Maybe thats why they're crashing
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Originally Posted by Flyskate
Sorry your 15 year old 'Vette needs servicing, I think the 2014 won't have those issues.
It's a used car, maybe it wasn't well taken care of by the previous owner/owners??
Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM
MilSpecLabs
7th Gear

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
LOL I just purchased my C5 Z a couple weeks ago, put maybe 60 miles on it, and when I brought it home the passenger headlight motor went out, it only has 13,000 miles hahaha I expected it, to go, the question was when. I'm happy it happened right away because I have a 90 day warranty from the dealer I purchased it from, but I think the brass gears are a must do.
It always seems to be the passenger side. Mine is making noise but still works. I've seen the brass gears on Amazon and eBay as well as vendor's sites.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
I don't know where you got the "a year" figure, but it's going on two and over 17000 miles on this one. 17,000 miles on a 14 year old car is not insignificant. The first one, I owned and drove daily for over 30,000 miles, beginning at abotu 53,000 miles. I'm sorry you got a bad one, but that does not make my care and good experience with my cars (5 of them over the past 25 years, by the way) meaningless!!

If you are so unhappy with yours, go get something "superior" to these POS 'Vettes or quit your bitchin'!!!!!!!

Just my $0.02

DSTURBD
17k is very insignificant.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:55 PM
nutseynut7
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
yeah, my 14 y.o. vette has had issue after issue since purchased used 9 years ago.

To the OP: check out my Lemon thread.These cars are lemons. A lot of engineering went into the big things, very little into the little things.

Rocking seat
battery acid leaking over the pcm
column lock
water leaking into the interior (badly)
parasitic battery drain
on and on...

I've had two vettes, both with less than 85k on the odo right now, and they are maintenance nightmares.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
here we go.... well, All I can say is I have a 98 with 60,000 on it and love it. Need to do some minor little things like replace the lumbar cushion, got a pass window reg starting to go and prob going to replace the drivers seat foam soon. But the car is 16 years old things are going to wear out and over all the car looks and drives like it was 16 months old.
Funny thing is that you flat out admit to not doing any research before your purchase and want to compare a 15 year old cars reliability to a brand new 2014 I am pretty sure that there are going to be common things that fail on the 2014 vette or any 2014 vehicle come the year 2029. Who in their right mind goes out and buys a 15 year old car and doesn't expect to have to fix a few things here and there on it? Honestly it sounds like your issues are all very minor things except for the tranny which well who knows how it was maintained before you purchased the car. question though did you by the car with all these IMO little issues? I totally get the idea of not wanting to ever mess with or do anything more than change the fluids on a vehicle and if thats the case all you gotta do is sell off that thing you hate so much and go plop down $50-$60k minimum and gettcha a new one
You're VERY lucky if you haven't had any problems with your C-5. YES, they do have a LOT of problems. The issue I have with Chevrolet is, even after the problems surfaced, Chevrolet didn't fix them in the newer C-5 models. They just kept installing the sub standard junk parts rather than making them better when the problems arose. I like driving my car but my 2000 has the same problems as my 1998 and most of the other C-5s. It comes down to, do you like your car well enough to endure all the problems ? Many will answer yes, but you can bet those are either able to fix their cars themselves or they have a lot of money to burn at the Chevy Dealer. I suggest you pucker up, your day will come. Many of the problems C-5s have aren't "Normal Wear".
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nutseynut7
You forgot:
Window Regulators
A/C Controllers going dim
ATC not working
ABS problems
Harmonic Balancers coming apart
Oil Pressure Switches
Fuel Gauge Senders

You either have to love driving it enough to endure the problems or give it up. I assure you, if you keep it long enough, you'll likely experience at least half of those problems.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Originally Posted by psint
You forgot:
Window Regulators
A/C Controllers going dim
ATC not working
ABS problems
Harmonic Balancers coming apart
Oil Pressure Switches
Fuel Gauge Senders

You either have to love driving it enough to endure the problems or give it up. I assure you, if you keep it long enough, you'll likely experience at least half of those problems.
Harmonic balances are not a "corvette" problem, they're a late model gm small block problem.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

When you buy a used car that is 15 years old, you are bound to have issues.

It all depends upon how well it was cared for. I paid a little more for my 03 Z06 (no issues), but the previous owner was so ****, he kept meticulous records for every service, every accessory, in a nice plastic notebook. It was garage kept and babied. It shows and it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To C 5 Quality Issues

Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

my 03 has been amazing machine with very little issues..and the ones that have came up I have addressed. my 94 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo was a also a great car, but it a ton of quality issues, so with any used performance car, your bound to have issues here and there, fix them drive the car and move on! and most of all enjoy it!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,042 Posts

I have zero issues with my '99 but I put all of the miles on it except for the first 1600. It depends on how it was treated and maintained before you bought it. When you buy a used car it doesn't matter what make model or year, what matters is the maintenance. Most of the cars here go hundreds of thousands of miles with little issue aside from normal wear and tear when maintained properly. There are some typical minor problems that plague the C5 such as column lock, headlight gears rocking seat among others but there are simple inexpensive fixes for them and most owners have already performed them. Sorry to hear that you got an uncared for car.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Ona mission
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

I've had almost no issues with my 2004-48k miles. Plugs and oil so far,and the bezel on the HUD developed a crack a while back. I got a replacement but haven't tackled the job yet, and the clutch/throwout has the factory design flaw but I found that out the first few months I owned it. As long as I don't thrash it to hard it doesn't give me any grief Three years and counting...

Quick Reply: C 5 Quality Issues