Sponsored by:

How to value a c5 sale?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM
phoebeusfenix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to value a c5 sale?

Hello everybody! This is my maiden post here at corvetteforum. I've been lurking for the last month or so reading up & trying to get a handle on all the different options on these vehicles. I am very interested in purchasing a c5, and have already checked into insurance and everything else needed.

My next step obviously is actually finding one in good condition in my area, central Kansas. I have found a 97' with 85k miles near me. It is silver with red interior. Absolutely gorgeous. I have bluebooked the car and it rings in at ~11.5k. The dealer is asking 15k.

My main question is regarding the 'price spike' on these. Obviously the bluebook isn't close to their asking price, but what is acceptable for this? It is winter after all, and I imagine they will have a tough time offloading it for a while. Do I offer 12.5 and see what they say? I've got the link and can share it if that would help.

At the end of the day the car is really only worth what someone is willing to pay..right?

Thank you for all the great information provided here! I cannot wait to become part of the community.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

They're asking clean retail according to NADA. I would not pay more than $12K. For what they are asking, you can find a newer lower mileage one if you just wait and be patient. Price is always what your willing to spend. You could low ball them and then give them your info so if they change their mind on accepting your offer they can call you. Otherwise, look in the for sale section here, post a want to buy add, keep looking local and try cars.com.
GL
Chris
Old 01-21-2014, 10:16 AM
DRAFT1
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I just went through this and the best advice I can give you is be patient. This was my first C5 and even though I had owned earlier model C3s I had to learn the car all over again. Personally, I would be looking for a 2001 or above. If you google updates made to 2001 model, you will see there were many things corrected or updated on these and later models. Save your money and keep looking for a lower mileage car. They are out there. Also, don't limit yourself to something close. Be willing to fly and drive, make an adventure out of it. It took me 3 months to find the right car, and to me it was well worth the wait. The deal I found was worth 2 plane tickets and a 700 mile drive home. I hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Grainraiser
Racer

You will get a much better deal purchasing from a individual rather than a dealership. If financing is a issue try going thru a credit union. That car you listed would be 11-12k from a individual. Keep saving your money and be patient. It took me three months to find the right car. Strangely I found it on EBay and it was a local transaction. I know it is hard to wait but your patience will be rewarded.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

I have found as stated the NADA.com is accurate in my area for value
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Welcome to the CF

Take your time, learn & and you will be rewarded.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would load myself up with all of the internet research that you've done and go make them an offer based on that research. Then stick to your offer. Like you've said, it's wintertime and they'll have a slow time selling it now.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome

be careful there are good deals out there the 15k is way over priced
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't sell my 98 with 86k miles for $10500.....

Old 01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
phoebeusfenix
Advanced

Thank you so much for all the words, gentlemen(and ladies if there are some)! The help has been greatly appreciated. I have the financing in place for 15k but I am thinking I will say that 12K is my current limit & see where I get from there. The only issue is the car is 2 hours away, so to even test drive it I've got to spend some time going there. I've never even driven one yet. Very excited to see how it 'feels.'
Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I would skip the '97 and get a much newer one for $15k.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
CHARGED UP
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Take your time 15k is a fair amount of money. You can get newer then 97 C5 with lower miles. Probably a few guys on here willing to sell you a nice car that betters that 97. Good Luck
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Best advice you've gotten: be patient.

This is my third Vette. For this one, I hit all the local dealers and eBay for almost six months and probably looked at well over 200 C5's and C6's before finally finding the one for me. That was three years ago.

Very glad I was patient and waited for the right one. Right year, right price, right color, right equipment, right mileage, etc...

And, even though I live in L.A., where Corvettes are plentiful, the one I finally settled on was in Houston on eBay. $400 to truck it out here.

Be patient...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default Emotional rescue

Originally Posted by phoebeusfenix
Thank you so much for all the words, gentlemen(and ladies if there are some)! The help has been greatly appreciated. I have the financing in place for 15k but I am thinking I will say that 12K is my current limit & see where I get from there. The only issue is the car is 2 hours away, so to even test drive it I've got to spend some time going there. I've never even driven one yet. Very excited to see how it 'feels.'
I sense that you are going down the wrong path and you are not listening to our advice.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
I sense that you are going down the wrong path and you are not listening to our advice.
I wouldn't do it, keep looking. If I told you the price I paid for the 1997 I bought in immaculate condition with 38,000 miles on it this summer, you would think twice.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Koiler
Advanced

Originally Posted by phoebeusfenix
Depending on the car, 12k is still quite a lot. I picked up a loaded 2002 with similar mileage for just over 15k <4 mo ago. There are a significant number of differences between the 97 and 02, including part availability. Listen to the advice more experienced members have already given - it could save you significant headache's later on.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM
phoebeusfenix
Advanced

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
I understand the advice, and I believe this will not be the exact vehicle for me. I may take it for a test drive just for the simple fact that I would like to know what to expect. I've gotten the impression from the dealership that they absolutely will not go under 14k, and from what I have seen here on classifieds and on other websites(ebay, etc), it is highly overpriced, which is in line with the advice you have given.

Trust me, I appreciate all the advice you've given and the LAST thing I want to do is make a rash decision.

Get notified of new replies

To How to value a c5 sale?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
They're asking clean retail according to NADA. I would not pay more than $12K. For what they are asking, you can find a newer lower mileage one if you just wait and be patient. Price is always what your willing to spend. You could low ball them and then give them your info so if they change their mind on accepting your offer they can call you. Otherwise, look in the for sale section here, post a want to buy add, keep looking local and try cars.com.
GL
Chris
basically where i'm at too

just too many 01+ cars to spend that on a 1997

which brings up another point. while you wait research the changes over the years. many of us really err on the 02-04 cars as they are the best of breed

you could get an 02-04 coupe with that mileage, 1-2 owner car for 15-16k

much better cars than the earlier models

and yes i know people with 97-00 cars love them, but, honestly, if you had to buy now, knowing prices, i would bet high on many of them choosing a later car too
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Trust me, I appreciate all the advice you've given and the LAST thing I want to do is make a rash decision.[/QUOTE]

I've learned a great from this forum in six months and I'd have to say, I've saved a lot of money. Never met one of these guys, but there is a lot of people willing to help you. Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If this is the first C5 you've looked at and never driven one, then by all means go and see what it is all about and take it for a test drive. You don't have to buy it, but it will get you introduced to the C5. There is lots of good info here on the forum, including this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ion-files.html

My advice, take your time, look at a number of cars and do your research on current market values. With any used car, having it checked by a qualified mechanic is a good thing to do. When you find the one that really calls your name, then have a price you are willing to pay for it and stick to it. There are plenty of C5s out there so if you can't make a deal on one, another will appear. Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: How to value a c5 sale?