Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor change. Is it possible to replace comp have shop do freon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default AC compressor change. Is it possible to replace comp have shop do freon?

I need to change my compressor on my 2004 and it looks doable. But I'd like to avoid the evac pump, gauge, system cleaning/drying charging crap.

Is it possible to replace all of the hardware, then drive to a shop and have them dry and charge?

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 01-20-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Sure and if you don't/didn't leave the system "open" to long you would not need to replace the dryer( I think that is what you referenced) but as cheap as they are you might consider doing it on a 10 year old car. But most shops are going to want to evac the system down and you should want them to. It makes sure there is no moisture in the system and that's the only way to get a full charge. Worst case should be a 100 bucks or less.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:41 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by ssrallyred
Sure and if you don't/didn't leave the system "open" to long you would not need to replace the dryer( I think that is what you referenced) but as cheap as they are you might consider doing it on a 10 year old car. But most shops are going to want to evac the system down and you should want them to. It makes sure there is no moisture in the system and that's the only way to get a full charge. Worst case should be a 100 bucks or less.
So I can drive it a short distance without screwing things up with the new components?

I'm going to replace the compressor, inline filter, dryer and maybe the drive belt. I don't want to be going in there twice. At the same time, I don't want the dealer touching it, or the local grease monkeys.

Plus, I figure I should learn how to work on it anyway. It has 60k miles on it so I expect some issues.

I built a 64 from the ground up, but that's a totally different deal.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All depends on what failed and what got into the system...

the AC compressor will not activate when driving if the system is empty (Clutch will be disengaged). if you replace it i would suggest getting:
* New Seals between all connections
* New Orifice tube (Extreme climate.. make colder at idle)
* Compressor (recommend OEM or Delphi)
* Reciever Dryer
* A/C Belt (while its off anyway)

Then blow the sytem clean (backwords so you dont push anything into the condensor... Evac (vac), test and recharge with Freon AND correct type/ammount of OIL.

When my compressor failed in my bonneville it shot metal shavings threw the entire system... mixed with the oil in the system and turned to goop.. the Orific tube was pluged with metal good.. did all above and good for 2yrs so far.

S
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

Sounds like you're concerned about running the compressor "dry". The system will not engage the compressor clutch without enough refrigerant pressure. Put it together, belt and all, the shop will need to run it as part of their fill/checkout process, it can't "accidentally" start even if you tried.

What he said while I was typing
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes you can replace it and drive it to a shop and have them charge the system. When you crack the line off the compressor tape the ends shut, that will help prevent any moisture from getting inside. The compressor is not difficult to remove, helps to have a lift to access the lower mounting bolts from the passenger wheel well. IIRC the water pump will need to be removed for access, might want to consider replacing it as well as the thermostat.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If the compressor failed internally I would add to replace the condenser as well. If you see one cut apart, very small passenges, easily clogged.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Thanks, guys! Looks like my evil plan will work. I need to make a list of the parts now and get them ordered. No lift (I wish) so

Didn't know the compressor would not kick in with an empty system - good idea on the part of GM (that's one...)

I've let it go too long - when the compressor starts it actually drags the engine down... :scared:

Funny thing is that the defroster is connected to the compressor. It runs no matter what the temp setting is.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Funny thing is that the defroster is connected to the compressor. It runs no matter what the temp setting is.
Yes. GM has done that with all their cars for the past 30 years.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

There are videos that cover replacing the comp. here on this forum. Also kits are available that include everything needed to do the job. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 PM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Thanks, guys! Looks like my evil plan will work. I need to make a list of the parts now and get them ordered. No lift (I wish) so

Didn't know the compressor would not kick in with an empty system - good idea on the part of GM (that's one...)

I've let it go too long - when the compressor starts it actually drags the engine down... :scared:

Do yourself a favor. Harbor Freight has very inexpensive vacuum pumps if you watch for a sale. You could buy one of those and a set of gauges for about what it would cost for somebody to evacuate and recharge it for you. It's not Rocket Science. If it just needs Freon, pump it down for a few hours and recharge it. SUGGESTION: Inject some dye when you charge it up. If you lose it again you'll be able to find the leak. For a one shot deal, you can get Freon with dye in it. If you plan to do more there's an inexpensive adapter you can get to go in line and buy a quart of dye.

Get notified of new replies

To AC compressor change. Is it possible to replace comp have shop do freon?

Quick Reply: AC compressor change. Is it possible to replace comp have shop do freon?