Sponsored by:

First HPDE didn't turn out so well

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes on your 1st HPDE.

1st HPDE + S/C Lingenfelter + stabbing the gas pedal while still in a right turn = snap right turn.

You can check tire pressure and bearings, but I'm leaning towards too much "go pedal" vs. rolling onto the throttle of a very powerful car.

Try and find opportunities to get more time on a skid pad and/or tracks that have more turns vs. straights to practice car control skills.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-21-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Chucks99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
Have you considered buying a roller and swapping everything over? That might be a better idea IMO.
That was the first thing I thought of and would be ideal if I could find one. Even some wrecked they still want 6-7K for and ones with 200K miles are still going for 9K in my area anyway. Have not even seen a roller yet but haven't been looking to hard I just wanted to get an idea of repair cost so I can make a decision when I get the numbers from the ins, it all depends on what they value the car at and how much they want for the salvage.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Chucks99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlohaC5

1st HPDE + S/C Lingenfelter + stabbing the gas pedal while still in a right turn = snap right turn.

You can check tire pressure and bearings, but I'm leaning towards too much "go pedal" vs. rolling onto the throttle of a very powerful car.

Try and find opportunities to get more time on a skid pad and/or tracks that have more turns vs. straights to practice car control skills.
Believe me there was not throttle stabbing going on. I knew going in it was waaaay more car than I could handle driving aggressively. Never had it floored except the longer back straight then only at the top of the rpm band. I hadn't spun a tire all day so I was trying to be careful.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has wandered in yet from one of the "Active Handling Can Be Hazardous To Your Health" threads.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
I'm a bit surprised that nobody has wandered in yet from one of the "Active Handling Can Be Hazardous To Your Health" threads.
Kinda what I was thinking but AlohaC5 makes a more plausible reason.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Yes, your sad reality has made me re-think doing a track event. But I sure want to try my 'Vette at PIR as I already know the track.

Many years ago I had a similar experience but didn't hit anything. I was in my second novice race in an H-Production class Honda Accord and had spun in turn One but found it was due to a ball joint failure. Fixed that and then out of nowhere I did a 360 in turn eight (8 because we weren't doing the festival curves).

The surface didn't look oily, wet, or anything and had been doing real well in all the turns....it just snapped and so I pulled into the pits and there was nothing wrong this time. Go figure.

During the "school" day at the track there was a guy in a brand new Porsche 928 turbo that careened off turn 8 into the wall doing probably 60 by the time he hit.......

So I'm going to stick with Solo for now even though I've seen some bad endings there as well

Here's wishing for a positive outcome for you. So sorry for your predicament.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Kinda what I was thinking but AlohaC5 makes a more plausible reason.
Oh, no argument with that: it's probably the right answer in those threads too.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Early on in the track season last year I "humored" myself with a phone call to my Ins. agent re: HPDE.

I explained to him that it was not a "timed event". There were no prizes. It was a "driver education" event. He said that he would look into it and get back to me. I thought to myself "looking forward to your denial".

To my utter surprise, three days later he sent me an email stating that since it was not a timed event/race, that I was covered. YES! and in writing!

My next move was....... FILE SAVE......then....FILE PRINT.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Two more things to consider since the "snap right turn" occurred while coming out of a right turn onto a straight: Momentum and weight transfer. Were you carrying too much speed through the turn? Did you tap the brakes in the turn - shifting weight off the rear tires? Left side tires loaded more than right side tires while in the turn. At what point did you hear the street tires "talking to you"? A "snap turn" tells me the car was under acceleration at the time of the incident vs. sliding or maintaining direction of travel. Don't let this incident stop you from enjoying the hobby. There are always "lessons learned" after every event. Glad you're okay - the car can be replaced or repaired.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-23-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:59 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,258 Likes on 819 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

OK everybody has piled on with the insurance and your driving
skill and a car that was not prepared very well for track use.
So really the subject at hand is....can you put that pile back
together. Yes you can either find a good frame, repair what you got
or build a new frame. All is possible. Do your research and move
forward. Hard knocks is a good teacher, sometimes.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM
pmurray
Racer

What driving mode were you in?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Early on in the track season last year I "humored" myself with a phone call to my Ins. agent re: HPDE.

I explained to him that it was not a "timed event". There were no prizes. It was a "driver education" event. He said that he would look into it and get back to me. I thought to myself "looking forward to your denial".

To my utter surprise, three days later he sent me an email stating that since it was not a timed event/race, that I was covered. YES! and in writing!

My next move was....... FILE SAVE......then....FILE PRINT.
He can have it engraved and framed and mail it to you registered and insured so you can hang it on your wall and it won't mean jack unless it's in your policy. He's probably right, but I wouldn't bet my car on it. I'd call the insurance company and confirm it, just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Don't let it stop you

Chip

Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for the post, I learned a little bit about car set up, and am glad you were not injured. Sorry about your wallet.

In California, if a licensed agent says you are covered, you are, no matter what the policy requires, or even if you haven't paid . That's why they are licensed, so you don't have to be an expert in insurance.

Perhaps the fact that your agent told you it would be ok ahead of time will work for you in your situation.

I was surprised at some of the wild responses. Insurance fraud is not for me, I don't think jail or any legal problems would brighten my day. At that kind of money, they will check. It's not a broken toaster claim.

I am not trying to insult your integrity. I was thinking about the people who suggested crime as a solution. Perhaps they didn't think it through. Perhaps they are trying to be clever, but it really comes across as advice that would damage a guy's self worth.

I trust they were just showing off, since you clearly stated your actions. I am not the perfect citizen, but some of the stuff is pretty easy.

Last edited by strand rider; 01-24-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Chucks99
Intermediate

Well for all those waiting to see what happened with this mess the Ins finally got back to me denying the claim. Said denied because it appears accident happened in a "racing type event". So now talking with a lawyer to see if I want to fight it or not.

FYI the clause in the policy is your not covered "In the participation or preparation of any racing, speed or demolition contest or stunting activity or any kind".
Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
fastbydrmike
Instructor

I would fight it. It wasn't a racing event and it was driver education. I am surprised. I have had a lot of friends total their sport bikes on track days and insurance pays not problem. Most of them are totaled of course.

Quick Reply: First HPDE didn't turn out so well