Sponsored by:

C5 Ignition Cylinder Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM
BudBarnes
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Ignition Cylinder Locked Up

Can insert key, but will not rotate clockwise. Tried some lithum spray, key inserted and rotated, but engine would not crank or fire up.

Any ideas? VIN 133178 50th; 35K miles, not abused.

Thanks,
Bud
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
BudBarnes
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition switch jammed, not turning.

8Vette7. Saw many of your posts on similar issues. Great advice and thanks. I was a little concerned about the lithium, tried not to soak, but also saw in manual the key must be dry. The broken wire is making sense...as I had some "resistance" when attempting to insert key. Vehicle at dealer....not too excited about that.

Will post with dealer reply 1-14. Thanks again. Not as easy as my old '54 ... E54S002026 that I restored some years ago.

Bud

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
When you turn the key to the start position does the "security" light on the dash go out???

If not the chip on the key is NOT being read and the security system locks out the starter.

There is a fine wire inside the cylinder that wipes across the chip/pellet on the key and reads the resistance of the chip. That value is compared to a stored value. If they match then the starter in enabled. If they do not match the security system locks out the starter thinking someone with an invalid key (or a screw driver) is attempting to start the car.

You can try your backup key and see if that works. However the fact that the key would not turn suggests that the wire may have broken off and was jamming the key.

Couple of options:

1) Get a replacement cylinder and have a locksmith re-key it to your old key.

2) Bypass the VATS system by soldering in precision resistors that match the resistance value of the chip in your current key.

I personally would do #1. If you do #2 then the car can be started by a thief with a screw driver.

Just reread your post and see that you used lithium spray. Probably NOT good. I would get some electrical contact cleaner (auto parts store or Radio Shack for certain) and spray that in the cylinder then insert the key a dozen or more times wiping the key on a lint free cloth between insertions. Need to clean the "lube" you sprayed out of the cylinder if the chip is ever going to be read.....
Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
TB1300
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my 2004 about a year ago, I had a similar issue. Sometimes the key would turn, other times it would not.

I eventually figured out that the key is not symmetric, and it will only turn when it is inserted with a particular side of the key up. (Note, the key goes in the hole either way, but it will only turn when inserted one way). I posted about this issue, but nobody else seemed to have this problem. I guess I am just lucky.

Try removing the key, rotate it 180 degrees, and insert it again.

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it solved mine.

Last edited by TB1300; 01-14-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling, added comment

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Ignition Cylinder Locked Up

Quick Reply: C5 Ignition Cylinder Locked Up